Thread: vespa anyone?

mtbr member

vespa anyone?

anyone that rides a motor scooter, vespa or not, post your experiences and pictures!

thinking of picking up a vespa lx150 or grand tourismo some time.... idk which one, but i still need to save the money first.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

swerven so u kno im bent
    ive got this mini motor bike i started doing a project on in the winter n just sits lol

mtbr member
    its funny b/c around here i have seen a bunch of scooters... they even have a couple car lots that sell them now

1946:2006:2066

how about an electric scooter

Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    anyone that rides a motor scooter, vespa or not, post your experiences and pictures!

thinking of picking up a vespa lx150 or grand tourismo some time.... idk which one, but i still need to save the money first.
    http://valuride.com/electric_bicycles_products.htm

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    20 miles an hour is one third of my minimum speed requirement. :-/

im going to use it for touring on back roads.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

1946:2006:2066

that was a bit of tongue-in-cheek

Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    20 miles an hour is one third of my minimum speed requirement. :-/

im going to use it for touring on back roads.
    My GF owns a Vespa LX 150. She bought it fall 2006 as a demo for $1000 discount.
    She enjoys riding it but doesn't ride very often. Grocery shopping, she uses the van.
    Commuting to work, she uses her bicycle in the summer or transit in the winter.
    Being only a 150 the scooter is not much of a highway machine. Buying the Vespa
    was, I think, her mid-life crisis. She had to go through the full blown motorcycle training
    and testing for a motorcycle license extension to her car license. This was an adventure
    in its own right. I was really proud of her. Due to the time of year it was two horrible days
    of learning to handle a motorbike in the rain. I think it stopped raining for a couple of hours
    before the testing began. There were burly tough guys who didn't show up for the second day.

Sounds like you need at least the GTS 250 or equivalent. If money is a challenge check
    out Piaggio sister to the Vespa without the bling name. Or some of the Japanese scooters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

this account retired
    i too am looking at a 2-wheeled vehicle....right now it is between the Vespa and a Harley for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

ruckus/ zoomer

I've been eying up the Ruckus for a while- looks like a lot of fun. I hear some pretty good stories about doing dumb stuff on dirt roads/ trails with them- anybody have much experience with their (apparently not as limited as I would have thought) off-road capabilities?

mtbr member
    i think the grand tourismo (200cc) should be more than enough for me. the lx150 would do for the two lane roads around here, but it would be more comfortable on longer journeys to have the bigger GT, especially with a passenger.

but, i definitly want a vespa for the heritage and quality. the japanese scooters are just as pricey when you get into higher cc and metal frames.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

pronounced may-duh
    Check out the Honda scooters. A friend of mine had one that would do 70mph on the highway with two adults on board. It ran like a champ and got incredible gas mileage.

mtbr member
    i looked at the honda and yamaha scoots. its weird.

1) they go from small CC to big CC with few gradients

2) they either look cheap and ghey or like they rocket you into space, not scoot you around the street.

the piaggio's are nice, but i really like the combo of the old styling and new technology of the vespa line, not to mention 150 and 200cc models (just the power im looking for).

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

swerven so u kno im bent
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyg
    I've been eying up the Ruckus for a while- looks like a lot of fun. I hear some pretty good stories about doing dumb stuff on dirt roads/ trails with them- anybody have much experience with their (apparently not as limited as I would have thought) off-road capabilities?
    hows this for off road capabilities??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a new GTS250 in Black/Tan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a big, bad suzuki burgman, but remeber that anything over 50cc counts as a real motorcycle in the US. Do yourself a favor and take an MSF (Motorcycle Saftey Foundation) course and wear a full face helmet. Those people on 150cc Vespas weaving in and out of traffic in tank tops and no helmets don't look so cute with skin grafts on 2/3 of their body...

Nice DR 650? by the way, but I think you might be missing a critical part...

mtbr member
    no no im being totally smart about it.

im taking the MSF with my dad, and along with whatever i get comes :

full face, riding jacket, gloves...

pretty much, when i was at the dealer today, i decided the granturismo is perfect for what i want to do. as long as i can afford it, ill get one. probably midnight blue with tan seat.

also, picked out a nolan n100 helmet, corrazio jacket, and icon gloves. all spring/summer weight stuff, which is the intended season ill be riding in.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gad to hear you're doin' it rght! The only problem I've had with scooters is that they are like smoking weed... it's leads to bigger and harder "drugs" like these:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200gsa

http://www.990adventure.com/

If you like MTB's and want to read some cool stuff (and get into another too-expensive hobby) check out www.advrider.com.

Good luck with your motorcycling! If the GT is too much dough, check out the Kymcos. A little cheaper manufacturing but dead reliable and lots of models to choose from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Check out the Yamaha Vino. Pretty similar look to a Vespa at a fraction of the cost. Reviews are good across the board, too. 70MPG is pretty tempting. I would buy one if I had a garage!

I lived in Rome from the age of 12-18, so I developed MAJOR Vespa love, but I like the old, classic, beat up ones on the streets of Rome better than the shiny new ones.
    Waterford 1200 road bike
    Kona Kilauea SS conversion
    Fort CC.Onix singlespeed
    Surly 1x1 singlespeed

mtbr member
    im definitly going to get a Vespa. i like the styling, but i also like the quality. they have the most advanced scooter in the range im looking for. the other ones dont have unibody construction (like a car actually), 4 caliper disc brakes, rebound and compression dampened suspension, etc. all the goodies i like on a bike!

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.