mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Velonews completely abandons MTB

I heard the publication was in trouble. They have always had MTB race coverage since the beginning of MTB racing in the 80's, but it looks like they have completely eliminated all coverage of anything related to MTB's.

Anyone know the scoop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I haven't heard about them "abandoning" mtb's, as a matter of fact a couple of issues ago, they featured a couple of bikes.
    Velonews have never totally focused on mountain bikes. I still like the mag, since I follow ( and ride) road, cross and gravel in addition to my mountain biking., so I hope they stay revelant.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Go to their website. They have removed all references to MTB in any categories or tabs, they didn't utter a word about MTB World's, and the last MTB related article I can find is from June.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe just specializing in more things drop bar. There are tons of mags and websites that just focus on mountain bikes
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Maybe just specializing in more things drop bar. There are tons of mags and websites that just focus on mountain bikes
    It is a bit sad though.

VeloNews has been around since the 70's and was really the first, and for a long time, the only cycling magazine that covered MTBs. When I raced from the 70's through the 90's, it was always a big deal to me to see my name in the results in VN. I subscribed for years, and still visit their website regularly. I didn't even realize MTB World's were last weekend until I got an email from NBC Gold saying they had coverage. I would normally have seen some kind of preview in VeloNews and could have found results there after the event. Granted, VN has changed a lot in the past ten years, they now focus on pro road racing and there is almost no local or national content, but to completely ditch MTB is a shock.

Where do people go for MTB race news now? Cyclingnews.com?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pretty much my same experience, Velonews has changed a lot the last 10 years and not for the better imo, although I do enjoy their road, cross, gravel coverage, but still, not the same mag it used to be.
    EXODUX Jeff