mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Used Tomac Taos vs New Klein Attitude V

NOTE: posted this in the "what bike to buy" forum also, but I am looking for some quick feedback so I put it here for a bit more attention ... hope that is okay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I a in the market for a hardtail bike as I am trying to get back into it. I have been considering purchasing a new 05 klein attitude V from my LBS. I recently saw a 04 Tomac Taos which appears to be in my size appear on the classifiedds. Prices between the two are similar. I wonder if anyone could help me out in making the decision on which would be a better buy for the money. Here are the links to the bikes

Tomac Taos: http://tinyurl.com/ff96q

Klein Attitude V: http://tinyurl.com/gqo32

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the advice!

-Pete

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First of all I must state that I have owned a Klein Attitude since '95...oh, it was made in Chehalis Wa. not Wisconsin.I will never sell it even though I only ride it when my two full suspension bikes are down.The bike is incredible and climbs anything...but,if I was you I would purchase the Tomac for two reasons;1-XT-cranks vs. low end Bongtrager...uh...what do you think?2-friends do not let friends ride a Rockshox...take the Fox.I will warn you that I do have to replace the seals on my Fox twice a year.I ride another mtb with a Marzocchi and this is not the case.The wheelset difference is almost comical...take the Mavics.In short,if the Tomac is in good shape there is no comparison...this is coming from someone who never stopped loving his Klein...does Gary Klein even ride anymore?Good luck and congratulations on your decision.

No good in rock gardens..
    Hmmmm. I have a Taos, and they are a nice frame. I got mine 2nd hand as a frameset, in near new condition. I then built it up myself. They ride nice, are light and the CNC yokes have tons of room for big tyres, for a hardtail. That said, there are stories around about Tomacs cracking, although it seems to concern the duallies. The Taos has a tempting spec too.

The Klein spec is OK, but that Duke is pretty outdated now, by Reba standards anyway.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    poppa#1, thanks for the advice. You brought out some interesting comparisons on the components that I was overlooking. The beauty of the klein has the strong ability to make you overlook its short comings. Such a beautiful bike. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks again,

-pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sideknob,

Your thread on your taos is what got me to even consider it when I was near set on the klein. Your bike is work of art. By the way, what did you mean when you said the Duke was pretty outdated? Sorry I don't know what the Duke is.

Thanks man,

-Peter

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by pehavens
    Sideknob,

Your thread on your taos is what got me to even consider it when I was near set on the klein. Your bike is work of art. By the way, what did you mean when you said the Duke was pretty outdated? Sorry I don't know what the Duke is.

Thanks man,

-Peter
    Thanks for the compliment. I've just put a nice carbon post in it to finish it off. Got it nice and dusty on Saturday on a cruisy 65km XC ride.

The Duke is the fork on the Klein. No longer made, replaced by the do it all Reba. The Duke was sort of a cross between the coil spring Judy and the air sprung SID. Not a bad fork, by any means, but it's nearly 2007 - so the fork hasn't even been made for two years now.

That Taos has a really good spec on it, it would be a very nice bike if the frame is in good condition.

Either bike has a good frame, and is the basis for a good bike. I'm assuming you are on the shorter side, like me, for that Taos to fit. Mine is the same size, I have a 100mm stem on mine, with a one inch setback post, with maybe 9 inches of seatpost out.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Get the Taos. I love my Klein HT, but the spec on the Tomac is much, much nicer. It's an excellent frame too.

It can't touch the paint on the Kleins though. I especially like the Attitude XX, out of their current offerings.