mtbr member
    May 2013

Used Bike - Baseline Maintenance

I just got my first mountain bike. A 2011 Trek Paragon.

I know zilch about mountain bike maintenance...

It was sold to me on ebay as a nearly new ride that only had a dozen or so outings. The frame is perfect, but the chain was a total mess, the brakes felt spongy and the pads rubbed. So the first thing I did was clean/lube the chain, bled the brakes and installed new pads for good measure. No more rubbing, the pads grab the discs symmetrically, and the brake levers are rock solid.

i went on a short ride this afternoon and it shifted accurately, and felt great (in my completely limited opinion, it was smooth and it stopped well at least.)

when I got home I rinsed the mud off the tires, wiped the gears off, and checked the torque on all the bolts...

But I noticed some play in the headset... I didn't hear any rattles on the ride but if I hold the saddle in one hand and the stem in the other and jerk apart I can feel a little play. I doubt this is normal/correct. But I'm not sure how to resolve it.

are there any other things I should be looking at. This is my first bike with a shock, and I have no clue how to assess the fork.

Should I lubricate or grease anything?

Thanks for your insight.

mtbr member
    The best way to check headset is to hold front brake and rock front/back. If you feel or hear movement it's too loose. If it doesn't spin freely or have a tight spot it's too tight. I could try and explain it but it'd be much better to watch a vid to see how to adjust. Park tools and youtube has a bunch.

I wouldn't put a hose to the bike too often and usually wait till the next ride when it's nice and dry and use a soft paint brush or something to brush off the sanctions and maybe more.

Zinn & the art of mtbing is a popular book with lotsa good info, and of coarse there's always someone here willing to tell you what they think.

I usually lube my chain and maybe some other pivot point every few rides, and go over the bike for fine tuning and lube everything a few times a year, or when something breaks. It's a good idea to keep wear on the chain to a minimum if you want the rest of the drivetrain to last.

Dialing in the fork to your weight/sag and riding style is a good idea, as well as getting a bike fit or doing one yourself with online info.

I'm pretty sure that's an open oil bath fork so changing the oil once a year or so is in order. Have also changed the dampening by changing weight thinner/less, heavier/more, but wouldn't go to far from what's recommended.

Don't buy any fancy bike lube, it's a waste. The advantages of synthetic oil/lube are just not realized on a bike, but it's much kinder to any rubber or plastic bits so that's not a bad idea.

I could go on.......I'll leave you with nice bike, good luck
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's