mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Upgrades for my Giant trance x3 2012

Hi I've had my trance x3 2012 for about a year now and I haven't upgraded my bike at all. As I start to get better I;m starting to feel the flaws in the bike. It be great if u guys could recommend some upgrades. I love dh but there isnt much around where i live. Here are the specs:
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5" Maestro Suspension
    Fork Fox 32 F125RL Evolution w/ 15QR Thru-Axle and OverDrive Steerer, 125mm Travel
    Shock Fox FLOAT R
    COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect, Low Rise 31.8
    Stem Giant Connect
    Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9
    Saddle Giant Performance MTB
    Pedals N/A
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters SRAM X5, 3x10 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X7
    Brakes Avid Elixir 1, [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1
    Cassette SRAM PG 1030 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain SRAM PC1031
    Crankset Shimano Deore, 24/32/42
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit
    WHEELS
    Rims Giant S-XC2
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h
    Spokes DT Swiss Competition
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 Performance

MTB B'dos
    The best and biggest upgrade you could do for yourself and the overall performance of the bike id to get a new set of wheels. Giant offers excellent bang for your $$, but the one area they "save" on is the wheels, they are notorious for tanks for wheels. Buy yourself a set of Hope Pro2 EVOs laced to Stans FlowEX rims from Wiggle and that's about all you should need to do, other than contact points (saddle, grips, pedals) which I'd assume you've done already.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    RWC Needle bearing for the top mounting point of your rear shock. Made the rear of my Trance feel far more responsive, even when new.

Change brakes to SLX or XT. Elixirs suck so you will ride faster for longer with better brakes.

Other than that you have a nice bike there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I went through the same thing with my 2011 x4
    I replaced what I thought would help me most at the time
    I replaced the wheels first and went tubeless, huge difference in stiffness, acceleration and traction
    next was the fork, the new stiff wheels were shifting in the stock forks 9mm dropouts so the 15mm solved that
    I was going much faster at this point so I upgraded the brakes to a strong quad caliper
    Next was the drivetrain stiffer cranks, 1x10, shadow deraileur helped in the chop that i was now hitting much much faster
    during all of this I replaced the broken stock seatpost and upgraded to wide carbon bars and huge flats

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Upgrades

I've gotten some Shimano XT brakes, Easton Haven Bars, Tubeless tires, Fox 32 Talas RL 120-150mm travel from my friends old Trek remedy 8. Anything else that would help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    The best and biggest upgrade you could do for yourself and the overall performance of the bike id to get a new set of wheels. Giant offers excellent bang for your $$, but the one area they "save" on is the wheels, they are notorious for tanks for wheels. Buy yourself a set of Hope Pro2 EVOs laced to Stans FlowEX rims from Wiggle and that's about all you should need to do, other than contact points (saddle, grips, pedals) which I'd assume you've done already.
    Im Still thinking about the Hope Pro2 EVOs and Stans FlowEX rims, Can you send me the link to get them plz?

MTB B'dos
    Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel | Performance Wheels
    Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | Performance Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1325 View Post
    Im Still thinking about the Hope Pro2 EVOs and Stans FlowEX rims, Can you send me the link to get them plz?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1325 View Post
    I've gotten some Shimano XT brakes, Easton Haven Bars, Tubeless tires, Fox 32 Talas RL 120-150mm travel from my friends old Trek remedy 8. Anything else that would help?
    I recommend the light bicycle carbon rims ($350 for a pair) with your hub of choice. I personally went with a chris king rear and a lightweight front hub. Im building a DT 240 set right now. Weight will be about 1550g which is about the same as the flows, but will be much more stiff.

MTB B'dos
    The Pro2/Flow set is $382 shipped to the US, you're talking just $350 for rims only, then add in some decent hubs like the Hopes and you're up to $600 for the set and I doubt he'll notice the difference between them and the Flows like he'll notice the difference between the Flows and the stock ones he has now. PLUS then he has to look to get them built so maybe even closer to $700> for the set and I didn't take it he was looking to spend anything near that. The $382 for the Pro2/Flows is an excellent, very big bang for your $$ upgrade, had several do it down here and they were majorly impressed and happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    I recommend the light bicycle carbon rims ($350 for a pair) with your hub of choice. I personally went with a chris king rear and a lightweight front hub. Im building a DT 240 set right now. Weight will be about 1550g which is about the same as the flows, but will be much more stiff.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics