Thread: Upgrade Tips

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Upgrade Tips

I have a Santa Cruz 5010 Alloy. It is the cheapest version and i have saved up some money(around $550) and i think i am ready for some upgrading. I am just lost because there are so many parts that can be upgraded. What would be the best upgrade to start with?

Thanks

High Desert MTBer
    You will no doubt get a plethora of advice here jmajor998, most of which will be relevant in one way or another. Everyone has their own ideas on this, but it depends very much on what kind of riding you are doing, and where your strengths/weaknesses lie. A good start is always the wheels to save rotating weight. Think about some lightweight wheels with a tubeless setup. That would be my first port o' call!
    It's all Here. Now.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Tubeless or no, I'd agree wheels and good tires are going to make your bike better easier than anything else. Nothing else is 'bad' about how it rides, right? No gearing/shifting issues, or bad braking? Cables/bleeds are usually a good investment if you haven't done them lately as well... not much worse than a nice component set with crap cables, or air in the brake system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How is your actual riding gear? I found a non budget set of gear makes the ride more comfortable. If you are good there look at tires, tubeless, grips. How d are you cables, new cables can make a bike feel like new.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I went on an upgrading Spree with my Cobia and the wheels are the only major things I haven't upgraded (no good wheelsets come with QR anymore that aren't special ordered).
    But I agree that on a bike like a Santa Cruz your components are going to be at a good level so you can start with the wheels.
    Find some nice welded rims with straight-pull spokes, they will be the strongest wheels ever (if it is a Thru-Axle)
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    (no good wheelsets come with QR anymore that aren't special ordered).
    Not so fast F9! I beg to disagree. You may not be able to walk into your LBS and find these, but a quick search around the usual online bike stores and ebay etc will find something quickly, and without too much trouble. I was looking a couple of weeks ago for a t'less rear 9mm QR and found a whole bunch at good prices. They have quick shipping too if you want!
    It's all Here. Now.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Not so fast F9! I beg to disagree. You may not be able to walk into your LBS and find these, but a quick search around the usual online bike stores and ebay etc will find something quickly, and without too much trouble. I was looking a couple of weeks ago for a t'less rear 9mm QR and found a whole bunch at good prices. They have quick shipping too if you want!
    I did find a set of Mavic straight pull spoke wheels on Jenson USA, but that was the only set I have found so far that is compatible for my bike.
    So I decided to just save my money for a mike with thru-axles.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

B.Ike
    what don't you like about your bike? do you have a dropper? what about your stem (longer/shorter)? do you like your tires?.... Grips?

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Upgrade Tips

It's a pretty expensive bike, base model or no. I wouldn't want a bike that cost me that much to have room for a major upgrade that cost $550. But, new bikes always come with a generic cockpit - I can't even ride a bike if it doesn't have a stem or a saddle, but odds aren't great that they're "my" saddle or that the grips are where I like them.

So rather than thinking "upgrade," think in terms of making your life on the bike a bit better. Nail the fit. Get a saddle you like. Get the tires you really want for where you ride. I'm a sucker for fancy XC tires. Get some shoes and pedals you really like.

I just picked my bike up from a tune-up and suspension rebuild. I took the opportunity to get some locking grips with the little rings on both sides (and no wear or damage!) and the new RockShox Maxle Lite, since I'd damaged my old one with the stupid flange. It's amazing how much little stuff like that can make it nicer to own a bike.

How long have you had it? How many miles/service hours? What kind of riding do you do?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

official eMpTyBRain
    What makes the most sense is to ride the hell out of it just like it is. Get to know your bike intimately. Learn what you like about it and what you dislike.

Concentrate on what you dislike as far as upgrading goes.

This is going to take time.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for all of your opinions. i have decided to get some new grips and maybe a new stem. I currently have a 60mm stem and i am interested in a 50mm stem. I race super d/enduro type races with the occasional xc race. i like to ride aggressive and am wondering what the shorter stem length will do to my riding. Also any suggestions for god stems that are not like $100?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Also has anybody heard any good things about sram roam 30/40 wheels?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Maybe a set of renthal bars, stem and grips? The renthal stem is pretty sweet looking. I don't think a 10mm shorter stem will do much depending on rise. Carbon bars are great for dampening trail chatter.

The roam wheels seem nicely built. I think you may need to go up to a higher level than the 40 series to be worth the upgrade.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Regarding wheel upgrade. My last bike was a fuel ex8 29er with bontrager duster wheels. I got a deal on bontrager rhythm pro wheels. After spending time on the two wheel sets I thought the difference was minimal upgrade. While I did not pay close to retail so I was ok with it. My current wheel set up was a significant upgrade over anything I have owned.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It's a pretty expensive bike, base model or no. I wouldn't want a bike that cost me that much to have room for a major upgrade that cost $550. But, new bikes always come with a generic cockpit - I can't even ride a bike if it doesn't have a stem or a saddle, but odds aren't great that they're "my" saddle or that the grips are where I like them.

So rather than thinking "upgrade," think in terms of making your life on the bike a bit better. Nail the fit. Get a saddle you like. Get the tires you really want for where you ride. I'm a sucker for fancy XC tires. Get some shoes and pedals you really like.

I just picked my bike up from a tune-up and suspension rebuild. I took the opportunity to get some locking grips with the little rings on both sides (and no wear or damage!) and the new RockShox Maxle Lite, since I'd damaged my old one with the stupid flange. It's amazing how much little stuff like that can make it nicer to own a bike.

How long have you had it? How many miles/service hours? What kind of riding do you do?
    ^ this.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Agree with suspension getting serviced. Most all the guys I ride with neglect this aspect.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Fat-tired Roadie
    I love how my suspension feels after a rebuild! And I've thrown out a couple forks... Now that I have a nice one that I bought new, I'm trying to be "good" and get a nice, long service life out of it.

With regard to stems, I feel like 10 mm is a pretty big change. OP, if you're curious, it's certainly worth a try. I don't like to spend much on stems when they're experiments, which is usually. But 50 mm is short enough that you may be restricted to specialty stems.

The Roam 40 wheels don't look like something I'd buy on purpose. You don't get 32 spokes and the ones you do get are weird. What are you, a triathlete?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I love how my suspension feels after a rebuild! And I've thrown out a couple forks... Now that I have a nice one that I bought new, I'm trying to be "good" and get a nice, long service life out of it.

With regard to stems, I feel like 10 mm is a pretty big change. OP, if you're curious, it's certainly worth a try. I don't like to spend much on stems when they're experiments, which is usually. But 50 mm is short enough that you may be restricted to specialty stems.

The Roam 40 wheels don't look like something I'd buy on purpose. You don't get 32 spokes and the ones you do get are weird. What are you, a triathlete?

10mm can mean very little factoring a rise. You may only net a couple mm shorter, probably not noticeable. There is a chart somewhere showing this. Take for example a 60mm w/6 degree rise vs a typical 50mm w/ zero degree rise. So what does the OP have is the question?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon