mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Upgrade bike or replace with a new one??

So, I've got the original Pivot 429 (alloy), with a 110mm Lefty. I love it. However, I'm getting jealous looking at all the new machines out there. I road my buddies Ibis Ripley the other day, and it bobbed like no tomorrow climbing (on stiffest setting), much more than my 429. I live in the Front Range and climbing ability is critical.

Also, while the travel was sweet, given my riding style (46 y.o. dad of four), I'm not making huge jumps or really going as fast as I used to. I kinda felt the travel was prolly too much (in other words, I won't be doing the type of riding the travel was meant for), and what I have on my Pivot is fine.

Thus I'm leading toward just throwing a lighter pair of wheels on the 429, and I'm in the middle of switching it from a 3x to a 2x. What keeps me wondering is looking at the 27.5 bikes. The new Pivot Mach 4 C looks very very sweet!

official eMpTyBRain
    I have a Pivot Mach 429 alloy. I've also had a Spesh SJ FRS 26er, a SJ HT 29er, and an Epic 26er. The Pivot is bar far the best handling bike with it's ultra stiff rear end in the FS department. It really does climb like a hard tail and I live in climbing country, too but in So Cal. I follow behind all the other big brand current models and they bob noticeably, comparatively. To this day, you still have one of the best designs ever created so I would just upgrade/rebuild what you have now. You've already got a taste for what else is out there and you liked your Mach 429 more. That's saying something right there. It's saying that you already have the best bike for you.

I'm running 2X9 on mine. It's perfection for all the climbing. I did lose a little bit of top end when I'm pointed downhill but that only came into play on pavement.

What wheel set do you have on it now?

I too like the new Pivot Mach 4 carbon but wow, is it expensive!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    OP sweet bike but why the lefty?

BTW as Hawg said just update what you feel necessary and ride it. The suspension designs were peaking when yours came out. A newer bike would really be just a waste of money. Your bike does everything well in terms of suspension just upgrade where needed and enjoy it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What wheel set do you have on it now?

I too like the new Pivot Mach 4 carbon but wow, is it expensive!
    The current wheelset is what came stock on my C'Dale Carbon Hardtail. They are WTB hoops with shimano hubs that are hefty. So, that's prolly where I'll upgrade after finished with the 2x9 (34/22 and 11/40). I'm almost certainly going to go with what I used to have on the Pivot and are now on my HT. Stan's Crest with 240 in back and the C'dal Lefty SL hub in front. Should drop at least a pound.

Yeah, the new Mach 4 is wicked pricey. Does seem like a waste of sheckels given what I have.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar View Post
    The current wheelset is what came stock on my C'Dale Carbon Hardtail. They are WTB hoops with shimano hubs that are hefty. So, that's prolly where I'll upgrade after finished with the 2x9 (34/22 and 11/40). I'm almost certainly going to go with what I used to have on the Pivot and are now on my HT. Stan's Crest with 240 in back and the C'dal Lefty SL hub in front. Should drop at least a pound.

Yeah, the new Mach 4 is wicked pricey. Does seem like a waste of sheckels given what I have.
    How much does your bike weigh currently?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    DIRTJUNKIE,

I went with the Lefty on the Pivot b/c I'm one of the weird folk that love that shock. The performance with the lightweight blows me away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    How much does your bike weigh currently?
    26lbs 14oz

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar View Post
    26lbs 14oz
    Hmm, that's probably lighter than mine is now. I had mine down to 25.76 lbs with Stans Crest wheels but once I replaced them with Stans Arch EX and added a wider handle bar and more cushy saddle, it jumped up to the lower 27s. I like to rough it in AZ a few times a year and the Crests aren't gonna take that kind of abuse for very long.