Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Under Seat Pack or Bag

Wow there are alot to choose from out there.
    The one I currently have is way old and it's just an open pack with only one hold down elastic strap inside. So my junk wiggles around everywere.
    I want to carry tools, flat repair items, gloves, etc...

Please post up your favorite under seat pack name (so I can google it) and a pic if you have one please :-)
    Here are a few that "look" good to me:
    Name:  51bWtHfnhJL._SX342_.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  19.3 KB
    Avenir Bigmouth Velcro Seat Bag

Name:  51Z4H61QQTL.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  33.5 KB Topeak Aero Wedge Pack

Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Topeak all the way!. I have used a bell, It failed causing me to lose the contents on the trail. I was told i was the only person to ever have that happen. well a few days ago my Bell pump fell off its mount and got lost on the trail too so... lol. My friend has a giant brand bag and it seems to work well. What I love about the topeak is the ease of install and removal with the quick release setup. Gonna lock up the bike on your bike rack and run into a store? 1 click and the bag goes inside with ya with no need to play with straps. velcro only setups just seem to bounce around too much on the trail too.
    I believe my bag to be the small wedge pack. Fits a 29er tube, topeak alienII tool, keys, and iphone.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    I use the exact Avenir you listed. I wish it were bigger, but the quality is excellent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check out the Sette bags on pricepoint. Different sizes and low cost. Good quality bags. Quick release also.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Under Seat Pack or Bag

I have the (large) timbuk2 under seat bag. I don't really use it much anymore since I filled up my camelbak. It's nice for easy trail outings or neighborhood rides with the wife though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i had two bells, zippers on both failed, use a camelpak type bag now

mtbr member
    I like the under-seat bags that clip on and off. I used to use a Topeak on my mtn bike...

... and it worked great. My new bike has a Fizik saddle. Fizik saddles have a built-in clip for their bags, e.g. pop out the logo/badge and the Fizik saddle snaps in...

I've used this style for a few years. Whether it's on the road or the trail, it's nice to have the bag off the bike - not unzipped, sideways ('cause the bike is laying down), dumping the contents into the leaves, grass... It's also nice to pop off the bag when putting the bike in the work stand, washing the bike...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Thanks ALL!! ..clip on / off is an interesting ider, thanks.
    Gonna head to a LBS and poke around and their enventory...
    Thanks for your time
    Burt
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had 2 topeak "clip" style bags break at the clip. Not from impact! I really like their bags, so I use the traditional Velcro style.

Air Pirate
    I have tried bags from other companies, but I find myself always returning to what I consider a standard in bags: Jandd Mountaineering. They have several options for under the seat. I recently retired a Mountain Wedge pack that I purchased in the early 90's. It survived a LOT of use over those years on several bikes, with a LOT of items stuffed into it without a single zipper or seam failure. I only retired it because the gray cordura nylon was really stained and dirty and the inner plastic stiffener was finally starting to let it get floppy and loose...which was understandable after 20+ years of use.

Currently I use a Mini Mountain Wedge, a Mountain Wedge 1, a Mountain Wedge Expandable, and a Mountain Wedge III. They all do what they are supposed to do without letting you know they are even there when riding...which is what you want in a seat pack. They are stable and strong.

You can find Jandd bags at dealers all over the US or you can purchase direct. Keep an eye on their sale items page, as they deeply discount stuff all the time.

They stand behind their products really well, with really great warranty (like you would need it!) service, and they also sell spare small parts.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Trailhead Poseur
    Topeak Aero Wedge, I have the small I think (might be medium, don't remember off the top of my head).

Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    I've had 2 topeak "clip" style bags break at the clip. Not from impact! I really like their bags, so I use the traditional Velcro style.
    Mine is the strap style too, and no problems in a couple of seasons of riding. I looked at the clip bags in the LBS and had the impression that the clip would break. Looks like my fears panned out.

mtbr member
    I've used the Avenir big mouth for almost 2 years with no issues. i am thinking about swapping it out for one that attaches to the frame and stem so it's upfront.

mtbr member

Under Seat Pack or Bag

The Topeak's been on the mtn bike for 4 years without issue; the Fizik's been on there for about 15,000 miles... okay, those are road miles and just a bit smoother than mtb miles ;-)
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    I have tried bags from other companies, but I find myself always returning to what I consider a standard in bags: Jandd Mountaineering. They have several options for under the seat.

They stand behind their products really well, with really great warranty (like you would need it!) service, and they also sell spare small parts.
    This ^^^^^

mtbr member
    Ohhhhh JANDD looking good me liky THANKS..gonna go brows for a bit..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member

Under Seat Pack or Bag

Anyone tried the new Lezyne underseat clip it? I was looking at it yesterday at the LBS and the clips look sturdier than the topeak that I have been using.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I used to have that Topeak Aero Wedge, but for some reason I could never get it to sit right under my old model WTB Pure V saddle, lost it a couple times on the trail. Then I started carrying a hydration pack and I definitely prefer it to the seat pack, even with the brutal humidity and heat we have in the summers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Topeak FTW!! I have been using them for years, they are great..

Currently in Exile
    Check out Banjo Bros. They have really nice quality stuff and the price is right. I use their mini seat bag on my road bike.

Seat Bags
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Plays with tools
    Personally I hate saddle bags. I stick all of my flat stuff in a quart sized ziploc and it goes into my center jersey pocket.

mtbr member
    Cool...man!! I can put a six pack in here for easy rides next to the river
    Name:  rtb-01033-med.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  22.3 KB

Thanks cool stuff there too
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

slow
    Another vote for Jandd. Mini mountain wedge fits 2 - 26" tubes, multi tool, zip ties, CO2 gun and spare cartridges, car keys, patch kit, etc. and has a cinch strap with clip to keep stuff from rattling. I wore out the Velcro strap that goes around the seat post on both of these after about 5 years with each one, but aside from that I have been very happy with these.

Under Seat Pack or Bag-jandd.jpg

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Personally, I can't stand the rattling sounds the tools make as you careen down the trail when using a seat bag.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-21-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: I can't see where the cursor is when I type a response! Please fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I think the idea is to pack yer tools and such so they don't rattle..rubber bands..cloth.. all kinds of sound damping you can do...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Personally, I can't stand the rattling sounds the tools make as you careen down the trail when using a seat bag.
    Simple way to stop that is just throw an old ripped part of a t-shirt in there, squash it in, its no weight and it stops everything moving n rattling round.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast