mtbr member

Two bikes, one butt

What to do with a second bike?

For the first time since I started mountain biking 20+ years ago, I will soon have two mountain bikes. I've always had just one bike but I'm building a new Yeti ASR-5 after years and years on a HT. But my HT rides just fine. Here she is in all her 2005 glory:

I like the idea of having two bikes. I travel extensively for work so I usually only get to ride on the weekends. Any time my bike has a mechanical issue, I usually miss a day of riding. I'm not home many evenings to fix it and I don't have a spare. This bike will be my spare.

But instead of just leaving it as is, I'm thinking of some interesting things to do with it. One thing I'm going to do as soon as my new bike is done is to strip this down to the frame and clean every part. It hasn't had any maintenance since I built it. But after that, what to do? Some options:

- Leave it as is as a backup bike. It's heavy for a HT (27 pounds) but very reliable.

- Convert it to single speed. Meh...not a huge fan of SS but it could be fun and something different.

- Turn it into a weight weenie race bike. I haven't raced in almost 20 years but if I get the itch again, a cheap chinese carbon frame and a new set of wheels will really drop the weight.

- Hold out until I can find an older Yeti ARC frame and build my former dream bike. The ARC was THE bike to have when I was just getting into racing and a pair of Yeti's would be a great thing.

Other options?
    Last edited by KevinGT; 04-07-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Ride More, Whine Less

Two bikes, one butt

Keep it as is and introduce a friend to the sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    keep it. Ride the new one for 6 months or so, then get back on the old one and see which you REALLY like better.

High Desert MTBer
    I have only ever had 2 bikes max, altho many bits and pieces littered around too, and that is the optimum amount in my book. I only ever do one kind of riding: off road in a varied mix of hard rocky tech and more swooping hard pack, so I do not need different styles of bike. With my two I get a few essential benefits:

- I always will have a spare bike if one is out of commission for any reason
    - When I get tired of the ride characteristics of one of them, I switch over and it's like riding a new bike every so often, (they are both 5" travel FS rigs, but with a few subtle differences)
    - Gives me double the eye candy when I walk in the garage
    - Gives me double the potential for fettling when the urge strikes
    - Bikes are naturally monogamous, so any more than 2 would cause all kinds of grief and issues in the garage...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would have thought that any FS rider would need to have a HT as well. The HT is for the trails and riding that the FS is overkill for. To take that even further, you could think about going fully rigid for the HT. Cheap and lighter. A full rigid is great for more groomed trails - so easy to get air and have fun with.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I would have thought that any FS rider would need to have a HT as well. The HT is for the trails and riding that the FS is overkill for. To take that even further, you could think about going fully rigid for the HT. Cheap and lighter. A full rigid is great for more groomed trails - so easy to get air and have fun with.
    Personally, I rarely ride those kind of trails, and if I do, my Propedal lever is static, but fun factor definitely not! We are getting into the territory of super-indulgence in our bike possession here: one bike for each and every subtle nuance of trail-type, which I feel is completely unnecessary and a waste of resources. I am sure many will not agree! I tend to give away stuff I know I will have no need for.
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Just to add, I have been lucky enough to have found a style of bike that works well for what I need and enjoy: either one of mine will cope well with everything I throw at it and with the skill level of my riding. Any more would be overkill
    It's all Here. Now.

Ride More, Whine Less

Two bikes, one butt

I agree with rocker: the biggest source of overkill is our opinions about what is right for our bikes and trails.

I have come to appreciate a beater bike for winter riding. The below freezing temperatures, salt and ice can be hard on a bike.

mtbr member
    I have two bikes. I trade off depending on what I'm doing. For example I took the day off work Friday so I could ride. Took my single speed. Today I'm going to do a longer ride so I'm taking my geared bike. Sometime this week I'll probably single again, etc.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Keep it as is and introduce a friend to the sport
    +1. There is always an opportunity to provide an under-privileged neighborhood youngster with a chance to enjoy this great sport, even if you just lend him the bike while you both ride together.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member

Re: Two bikes, one butt

My wife would be much happier if I only had two. Just keep it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion, but for me, I haven't missed my HT from the moment I got my first FS bike in 2004. But maybe that's just me.

I have a couple bikes now -- my Enduro, and my 4.5" Jamis XLT (the afore-mentioned 2004 bike), so there is a bit of overlap there. I haven't ridden the Jamis personally since I got the Enduro, but I figured that for the few hundred $$ I could sell it for, I would just as soon have a back up or a loaner. And it has been ridden probably a dozen times in the last 18 months by relatives (my brother sometimes flies in to visit and doesn't want to pay to ship his bike out), neighbors (much easier to loan out the older bike than my new baby!) and co-workers (got a non-riding coworker out on a group ride last fall, lots of fun!), or one of the Boy Scouts or co-leaders who didn't have a bike (this backfired, because the other boys with (crappy) bikes were jealous and now don't want to bring their bikes).

Sometimes I want to sell it (such as now, where it needs a tune up and fork rebuild, and I don't want to spend the $$), but overall, I'm glad I've kept it around.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Keep it! I'm sort of like five bikes 1 butt (including road and commuter).
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    If i had a bigger garage I'd have more bikes. 2 is not enough.

Every bike has it's own feel, and geo. Even if you compare ht against hardtail. Even just changing 1 tire can make a huge difference.
    I say keep it, maybe tweak to fill a niche better, especially now that you can dial in 2.
    Nobody knows what that niche should be better than you, and btw, I like chocolate ice cream.
    Round and round we go

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have two FS bikes and take both of them when I go on vacation. If one gets a mechanical, just hop on the other bike which helps alleviate additionall $$ spending on the trip. Or if I have a friend who would go with me, they don't need to have a bike because they can ride the second one.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.