mtbr member

Twenty6 vs Thomson Elite vs Crank Bro Iodine 2 Stem

I know that the Tewnty6 is an all mountain stem and real short stem, but I'm loving the look of it. Would going with a real short stem like the Twenty6 change the handleing up front on my FSR? I am also considering the Thomson Elite and Crank Bro Iodine 2 stem. Which one. Can anyone report how stiff and quaility of Crank Bro stem 2. I know it has Torx bolts, not a deal breaker for me. Open to other suggestions too.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To be honest, I'd stay away from Crank Brother's products. They look really nice/blingy, but their quality isn't up to snuff in my opinion. I've heard of alot of people having problems with cracking stems, poor quality steel in their tools ect.

I don't know anything about Twenty6 stems, but I've had a few Thomson 50mm X4 stems, and they've been great. Strong, stiff, set it and forget it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    +1 on avoiding CB items

Stem length will change the playfulness of your bike. I like shorter stems. They go really well with a bit wider bars (think of it as a system). Having gone from 90 to 70...I'm on a 50 now and even rock a 40 for XC riding sometimes, just depends on how I want to ride that week. Get several lower end stems (think Truvativ on pinkbike/ebay) and play with them - see how they fit you/your bike and your riding style. Give them all some time, don't jump to conclusions without learning how to ride them. I've got 40/50/60/70mm stems all in stock all the time and never regret it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thomson are the best. Light, strong and a good warranty.

I'll never buy another Crank Bros product again. I got sick of breaking their pedals and paying for replacements.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Thomson is the quality product that all the others want to be. If you are willing to pay for it, why not get a product that has been proven 100x over?

I4NI
    Another Thomson user here. Last purchase was their seatpost and seatpost clamp. Strong, light and does not slip.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I am a big thomson fan myself but I like the Raceface Turbine stem better. I have both the thomson on my 29er and the Turbine on my allmountain 26er

REALLY?
    Thomson = standard by which all others are judged!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Meh
    I've had 2 Thomson stems develop cracks radiating from under the top cap towards the bars, as well as cracks in the faceplates. Although they were warrantied without a problem I stick to Chromag stems & bars from now on.

Desert RAT
    Thomson user for life, the absolute best!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by special k View Post
    I've had 2 Thomson stems develop cracks radiating from under the top cap towards the bars, as well as cracks in the faceplates. Although they were warrantied without a problem I stick to Chromag stems & bars from now on.
    Chromag stuff is real nice as well.

Question for ya - do you use a torque wrench on things like stems and rotor bolts?

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Chromag stuff is real nice as well.

Question for ya - do you use a torque wrench on things like stems and rotor bolts?
    Yes. Along with linkage bolts, seatpost bolts, etc.

Here's one of them from awhile back:

mtbr member
    Interesting..... I have probably 1/2 dozen or so Thomson stems of misc ages and have not seen that before - I wonder if they had a batch that the tolerances/tooling was slightly out?

mtbr member
    twenty six, chromag, thomson all great choices. i run twenty six and chromag myself. have had thomson, prefer the other two over them though

mtbr member
    Stem length will change the playfulness of your bike. I like shorter stems. They go really well with a bit wider bars (think of it as a system). Having gone from 90 to 70...I'm on a 50 now and even rock a 40 for XC riding sometimes, just depends on how I want to ride that week. Get several lower end stems (think Truvativ on pinkbike/ebay) and play with them - see how they fit you/your bike and your riding style. Give them all some time, don't jump to conclusions without learning how to ride them. I've got 40/50/60/70mm stems all in stock all the time and never regret it.
    Thanks for the responses guys.

CharacterZero, thanks for that bro, thats the type of insight I was looking for. My FSR has long handle bars and that helps me not worry about buying a 50mm DH stem.

I'm really liking the Chromag, bling bling. I'm also really loving the bling factor of the twenty6 and the bolts are on the side, so its a bit of a cleaner look. I hate these descisions because there not cheap.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    From another thread :
    Thomson Demonstrates Why You Should Watch Out for Counterfeit Parts - Bike Rumor

(Happy 250# user of Thomson seatposts and stems)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have had great luck with my Eastons.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    I'll never buy another Crank Bros product again. I got sick of breaking their pedals and paying for replacements.
    VT, what level of crank bros pedals did you buy. Just curious because i switched over to egg 3 and candy 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was looking at a Crank Bro Iodine 2 stem and saw that they use Torx heads on all the bolts. Decided against it then - the tools I carry don't include Torx wrenches.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all that replied. It was a tough choice. I went a head and got 2 Thomson elite stems with dress up kit and bought a Thomson elite seat post just cuz I gotta have the match. I might order the Twenty6 later, after my wallet stops smoking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Love Thomson. Never had a problem with any
    of their parts.

Best, John