mtbr member

Tweaked lower back without knowing how

I normally ride 12-16 miles every Saturday and Sunday. On the longer rides, I tend to get a bit of lower back fatigue. Nothing major and it ends as soon as I stop riding.

But a few months ago, I started adding a longer ride every other week. I ride 22-24 every other Saturday and did that last Saturday. The fatigue in my lower back was more pronounced but turned into sharp back pain during the ride.

Today, two days later, it's still very painful. Any ideas or suggestions?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like bike fit issue since you only have pain while riding. Have you ever been fit?

MTB B'dos
    I suffer from lower back and hip pain, mileage can play a role, but more so how I ride that day - if I push bigger gears or spinning easier ones. On your longer rides is that extra mileage some hills that maybe require more effort or you're trying to push a bit harder? Key for me is to stretch good and proper after the ride, even if I don't feel it right away, if I do that, I find I'm normally good except for maybe sore muscles if it was hard, but don't get the aches.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    yup

situps every day, just 10 or 20

back raises every day, 10 or 20

get one of these and use it

seriously

Amazon.com : Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench : Sit Up Bench : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I suffer from lower back and hip pain, mileage can play a role, but more so how I ride that day - if I push bigger gears or spinning easier ones. On your longer rides is that extra mileage some hills that maybe require more effort or you're trying to push a bit harder? Key for me is to stretch good and proper after the ride, even if I don't feel it right away, if I do that, I find I'm normally good except for maybe sore muscles if it was hard, but don't get the aches.
    I agree, me too. Pushing hard can get me, especially, if I don't warm up properly.

Hamstring, and hip flexor stretches are key for preventing low back pain for me. I'll do them before a ride, if they feel tight, but always after a ride, I'll have a long, stretch session. And if they feel tight on the ride, I'll back off the intensity, until they loosen up. Sometimes I'll have to stop and stretch multiple times.

Also, an easy, recovery spin on the road bike can really help loosen things back up, assuming you don't have an injury, and just tightness.

I keep saying I'm going to start doing some yoga too, but I have yet to follow through.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Tweaked lower back without knowing how

Kettlebell swings are awesome for strengthening your back and flutes. Do 100 a day in whatever set/rep scheme you like.

Instead of sit ups, try dead bugs, they hit the whole core instead of just the six pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Track
    Got the same problem. Seems to really tighten up on climbs. I've been dealing with it since September. Did a good climb on thurs. and was a mess on friday. doesn't always happen but when i does it just sucks. I do hot baths, stretching, anti- inflammatory drugs and a mild muscle relaxer when i need it. Hoping one day it will be gone but i just live with it. Chiropractor did nothing for me. Regular Doctor calls it a standard lower lumber strain. I think i've probably got some disc herniation also, but even if i get an MRI there's not much that can be done. Just try lots of things and see what helps. Stretch, stretch and stretch. every day

mtbr member
    Lifting the bike to put it on a rack or on the roof can cause lower back pain if it is a sloppy lift that extends your arms away from your body. This may be another thing to look at. A 25 or 30 pound bike doesn't seem heavy, but can really stress your lower back if you lift away from your body.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    this is really bad advice for a guy with a bad back!