Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

TUNE QRs concern

Hey there,

I just got some new Tune Quick Releases and there is something really disturbing about them. Funny enough I googled for a while but I dont seem to find any issue or concern about that anywhere!?

Due to the concept, the Quick Release lever can be freely moved beyond its "locking point" where it becomes loose again.

Since the lever is amazingly easy to move (even if you pre-set the pressure with the counter screw to the limit where the lever can still close) it does not take much for the lever to bend over into the disc or even if you turn the releases around, into the spokes.

I just wonder what will happen when a branch on the trail hits the lever into the wheel...

Has noone heard of any such issues or concerns?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TUNE QRs concern-img_1763.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nope, never heard of that before, but I wouldn't use that quick release in the picture if you paid me!

Maybe they're faulty?
    Poor design?
    Either way I'd be sending that back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They are not faulty as I tried some and they are all working that way so it must be the concept itself. Weird. And they do not come in cheap either.

No Stranger to danger....
    They look like very poor and cheap skewers.

Firstly, you have got the lever in the wrong position, direct it pointing back to save it getting caught on something and flipping open while your riding.

Secondly, it shouldnt be loose when you tighten it, if it is throw them in the bin

third, its a very poorly designed lever, its long, thin and straight.
    Most levers have a slight bend in them to hug your shock, ive never seen a lever designed like that, its an accident waiting to happen
    Ive had about 10 sets of skewers and none could get into my disks no matter what i did.
    not only that it doesnt have a flat surface to get nice easy leverage from, its a ridiculous and dangerous design.

Just so you can see about 100 real skewer designs, go to chain reaction cycles website, and find skewers, have a look how propper ones are made, i can guarentee you will not see one that looks like that.

out of interest, what brand are they and where did you get them?

Take them off and throw them in the bin, or return them for a refund and tell the place you got them from to get serious and sell some real skewers.
    cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I probably should not have posted this in a non Europe centric forum it seems because I just realized that those products are not available outside Europe.

Those are TUNE products. (Cant post a URL since my post count is below 10) Tune is pretty much the Chris King of Germany, quite legendary and those did get remarkable results in tests in several publications which is why I am so surprised about that. Those are pretty light 37g Titanium QRs which appear to be hand made and durable with lifetime warranty. They are 110 USD retail.
    Last edited by larsd; 12-28-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by larsd View Post
    I probably should not have posted this in non Europe centric forum it seems because I just realized that those products are not available outside Europe.

Those are TUNE products. (Cant post a URL since my post count is below 10) Tune is pretty much the Chris King of Germany, quite legendary and those did get remarkable results in tests in several publications which is why I am so surprised about that. Those are pretty light 37g Titanium QRs which appear to be hand made and durable with lifetime warranty. They are 110 USD retail.
    $110 US That will do me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well it did me... and they are **** or maybe I am to stupid to use QRs...

Well it did me... and they are **** or maybe I am to stupid to use QRs...
    No mate its not you, its the very poor design of that lever.

In all reality you can buy a nice set of skewers for 20 -30 bucks, the hope sets, even halo, these both come in heaps of nice ano colours, send them back and save your money..

if you really want to keep them put them in their proper position facing backwards, but just order a 30 buck pair, they will be as good a quality as those, your paying for the name with those for sure.
    Crank bros make a nice set, as do hope, so check those out, i just bought some halos last week for 13 bucks, they look slick and have never failed me in years of dirt jumpin, i just bought a new pair for the colour, nothing more, and for 13 bucks its nothin.
    cheeers

Dropshot Champ!
    I probably should not have posted this in a non Europe centric forum it seems because I just realized that those products are not available outside Europe.

you can find a better design on ebay from china. Spend 10-20bucks and get new skewers.

The few sets I've weighed were 27-34g for the Ti set. So, lighter than tune...and alot cheaper.

Cheers.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    shimano skewers only for me.

usually cranky
    id just point them so the lever just hits the fork leg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ What b-kul said.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    They don't lock then.

I've had the "pleasure" of playing around with the Tune QR's, and they sure are a poor design.
    The way they're made, you can't point them backwards either.

It's a roadie product at best, and an overpriced one.

As somebody else wrote, Shimano makes outstanding QR's.
    They don't offer much bling effect, but they're strong and they work.

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ Bummer

mtbr member

Lifetime?

with lifetime warranty.
    Which won't be very long if you ride with those P.O.S!

Perhaps you could ask them if the lifetime warranty is still honored if you die because of their failure...
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post

I did some digging over at mtb-news.de and while it seems they are a little tricky to set up,
    they work once you got them dialed in.
    Keep in mind Tune products are for weight weenies so they might flex more but the jury seems to be still out for that.
    If I understand that right they also have a left and right
    and I hope that not every qr's has a left and right since that would be quite embarrassing.

Is not amused
    Just a thought... have you tried flipping the QR so the lever is on the opposite side of the disk? Example below... btw the QR in the pic is a Tune DC17.

TUNE QRs concern-img_0165.jpg

Agree with everyone else though, looks to be a poor design. If you want light and don't care about price look at the DT Swiss RWS Ti if your a weight weenie or just save money and get a Shimano QR.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    If your fork is standard with 9mm quick release dropouts, just install the qr with the lever on the right fork leg and not the left(rotor) side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Send them to me I'll risk riding them

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Just a thought... have you tried flipping the QR so the lever is on the opposite side of the disk? Example below... btw the QR in the pic is a Tune DC17.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	748711

Agree with everyone else though, looks to be a poor design. If you want light and don't care about price look at the DT Swiss RWS Ti if your a weight weenie or just save money and get a Shimano QR.
    If you take a closer look at the pic the OP posted, you'll see that the version you posted a pic of, is a lot different.

The version in your pic, is actually quite fine.

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just played around with them a little. Turning them seems to work as the lever is now almost to short to get into the spokes. However there is still a possibility in case it bends substantially.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TUNE QRs concern-img_0019.jpg  

Last edited by larsd; 12-29-2012 at 03:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT.

this issue you're posting about is probably the exact reason they aren't available in the US.

+1 on buying better skewers

Front Range, Colorado
    OP obviously you are unhappy with the performance of those skewers but you like the look. I would reccomend checking out Hope. They have made a skewer with similar looks for years. So they are top notch quality time tested skewers.
    Check them out... hope skewers - Google Search
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Those things aren't safe, send them back.

As you describe it, it sounds like they don't have a stop, so than can loosen in either direction, that's bad.

Send them back to wherever they came from and use Shimano skewers if you like the way internal cam designs look. They're the best anyway, XTR is light and the Deore ones are cheap, pick one and never worry about a loose skewer again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast