mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Tubes or Tubeless

Been riding for quite a few years and all tubes. Live in desert area so i do the heavy duty tubes with sealant and have had one flat in the last year( Sidewall impact) My friends keep telling me to go tubeless but if i'm not getting flats why bother?
    JUST DO IT

Your Best Friend
    Tubeless is just about the #1 upgrade you can do to your bike. Better traction and a more compliant ride are the real benefits. Lighter weight and less flats are side effects.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Tubeless is just about the #1 upgrade you can do to your bike. Better traction and a more compliant ride are the real benefits. Lighter weight and less flats are side effects.
    Well it doesn't hurt to try! My bike shop offered me to set my bike up tubeless but told them i wanted tubes lol. My bike can be set up tubeless so i'll give it a try and see how it goes
    JUST DO IT

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Been riding for quite a few years and all tubes. Live in desert area so i do the heavy duty tubes with sealant and have had one flat in the last year( Sidewall impact) My friends keep telling me to go tubeless but if i'm not getting flats why bother?
    Because you can get no flats with tubeless without the need for big heavy tubes. If you are using those big heavy duty slime tubes you have added a lot of rotational weight. Im far from a weight weenie but those things are heavy.

FWIW I have not gotten a flat running tubeless is over 3 years. I have however gotten several flats with regular tubes with sealant. I live in cactus central Phoenix AZ.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have to agree they are some heavy tires with tubes! Thanks for input and will be trying out tubeless set up
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use standard tubes and a liner. I deal with the occasional flat. To me it easier than dealing with tubeless. I ride in the Phoenix are so plenty of cactus and rocks. I run 30psi front and 35 rear.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I use standard tubes and a liner. I deal with the occasional flat. To me it easier than dealing with tubeless. I ride in the Phoenix are so plenty of cactus and rocks. I run 30psi front and 35 rear.
    Ive had the opposite experience. When I got my new Trans AM they came with non tubeless ready rims so I did the next best thing and put a bunch of sealant in the tube. 1st ride out flat. Pinch flat. I even cranked up the PSI knowing I had a tube in there. After 2 more tube flats for thorn punctures that didnt seal I pulled the trigger and went with Stans Flow EX. Now I can run my Ardent at 23psi and my rear Ikon at 26 psi with no issue or concern of the bead coming off and havent had 1 flat since. Im probably 215lbs with full gear.

Bottom line use whatever works. To the OP Im always a big proponent of "if it aint broke dont fix it". But I will say while it is a little more work to change the sealant and clean things up, if its done right, I think you will immediatley feel the weight reduction of removing that huge tube and feel the traction increase the lower psi can offer. Good luck either way.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm just hoping i have good tire luck going tubeless! If it doesn't work out I can always go back....Damn goatheads are pain in my ass around here. Dome DBAG put nails on trail last week so i stopped and got rid of them.
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    I went tubeless a few months ago and was shocked at how simple the system is. Now, I'm fully aware that you have to get the right combination of rims, tires, tape, and sealant to make it work as easy as my system worked but it was ridiculously easy.

I'll go so far as to say that installing my tubeless system was easier than installing a tube. I've had zero flats or issues in the three months I've been tubeless and the ride is fantastic.

If you have a combination of tires and rims that historically works well tubeless, I can't think of a reason not to. It's lighter and easier.

(FYI, I am running Stan's Crest Rims, Stan's Yellow Tape, Stan's Sealant, and Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires. The whole thing snapped together with no tools whatsoever and inflated with a 10 year old standard floor pump)
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    toobs. it just works the way tires were intended to be inflated.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone know how to tell if a wheel and tire combo will work tubeless? I run sun rims CR18 wheels and schwable nobby nic tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbro225 View Post
    Anyone know how to tell if a wheel and tire combo will work tubeless? I run sun rims CR18 wheels and schwable nobby nic tires.
    Post in the wheels and tires forum or do some searches. You'll find people rave about the combos that work (like mine) and rant about the ones that don't.

May also want to check the notubes site message boards
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I still like and run tubes. Not much of a problem
    with flats where I ride. Also I have a good supply
    of 90 gram tubes, so I don't think tubeless will
    save me any weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im always a big proponent of "if it aint broke dont fix it".

I agree, which is why I still use standard tubes and light tires. For whatever reason it works for me and even running mid 20's psi I don't worry about flatting and rarely do.

However if you have to use HD tubes and slime then it is broke. The weight, combined with the lack of compliance makes a bike feel horribly dead and sluggish. Tubeless for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ran tubeless on my last bike. Stan's Crest with several different tires. Only issue I had was the rear tire failing just after I mounted a new folding Maxxis Ignitor. Tubed it up for the remainder of the ride and set it up tubeless when I got home. Rode it for a year after with no issues.
    Sold that bike and bought the new RM Altitude 750. I really miss the tubeless set up and can't wait till I save enough cash to upgrade the wheel set to tubeless ready. I just don't feel comfortable going tubeless with the Sun Inferno 25.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tubeless!!!!!!! I've been riding tubeless for 5 years.... not one flat! you can ride much lower pressures and get insane grip! Absolute no brainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Going back to tubes....just saying!
    JUST DO IT