banned
    Sep 2011

Tube exploded in my face

Was riding and blew a tube in a loud "pop" just before the pop I got a bad lump that made the bike hop lol. Well Conviently a Wal-Mart was only a half mile away so I walked it there, got a new tube, repaired it then walked over to the gas station next door to air it up. Big mistake. I was careful not to give to much air and with my hand it felt like it was about right...but....but... I started to hear this creaking from the spokes and then....BOOM!!! the tube exploded and sounde dlike a gun going off.. Of course these days people are edgy about gun fire and looked franticaly around for a mad guman lol..

Lesson learnt....they say never use a car air pump to air up bike tires.....totally true

I now went ahead and bought a frame pump and spare tube....good investments for sure.

I'm tellin ya, it has been one hell of a week for hardcore lessons in biking....Almost getting killed to tires blowing up in my face....I'm lucky...

usually cranky
    you over inflated the tire and blew the bead off the rim in the process rupturing the tube. a tube can be filled up to what seems like an almost infinite amount. just a fyi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    you over inflated the tire and blew the bead off the rim in the process rupturing the tube. a tube can be filled up to what seems like an almost infinite amount. just a fyi.
    Unless the tire or rim is bad it's usually not overinflation that's the culprit but not having the tire bead evenly seated during inflation. Part of it starts creeping over the rim and ...BOOM! Happens all the time in bike shops.

Compressors are fine to use, just put a small amount in and check the bead first before you fill it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Unless the tire or rim is bad it's usually not overinflation that's the culprit but not having the tire bead evenly seated during inflation. Part of it starts creeping over the rim and ...BOOM! Happens all the time in bike shops.

Compressors are fine to use, just put a small amount in and check the bead first before you fill it.
    ^^ this.

I pump up my tires using my shop compressor (5hp/80 gal) or my 10-gal portable tank.

You do have to be careful and take your time. Inflate the tire slightly, enough to seat the tires, then rock the tires back and forth on the rim and the bead pops in place if it hasn't seated, and finally fill it up to the target pressure.

When using a compressor to inflate tires, always use an inflator with an air gauge. Never use a plain air chuck with no indicators.

On a side note, a relative (on my wife's side) was killed when airing up a truck tire when it exploded, taking off half his head.

-S

banned
    Sep 2011
    I admit that the tire I was airing up had a slight rip in the bead where it is welded to the tire carcuss.

I know....let me have it.

mtbr member
    Time for a new tire.

Did you happen to use anything other than a flat, smooth tire lever to remove the tire? Anything other than you fingers to put it back on?

usually cranky

my first thought as well but those gas station pumps have no limiter, i have done the same thing as the op.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Time for a new tire.

Did you happen to use anything other than a flat, smooth tire lever to remove the tire? Anything other than you fingers to put it back on?
    The tire was a Cruiser whitewall I put on for the road and I used levers to put on and off.
    I usually put baby powder on the inside of the tire before tube placement, but didn't in this emergency repair.

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    my first thought as well but those gas station pumps have no limiter, i have done the same thing as the op.
    No meter here either...I knew there woul dbe a risk...oh well I learned without getting hurt.....again.

mtbr member
    No the mistake was going to Walmart

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    LOL, i was thinking 'why hasnt anybody taken the oppotunity to attack the spawn of satan, and the cause of ever problem in your country, wallmart' but here it is lol
    Sounds like every person that dies within a 1000mile radius of a wallmart could blame the death on them too....
    Im interested to know if there are any problems in your country that cannot be directly linked or blamed on wallmart, you know if you got rid of them every problem would just disappear over night like magic........
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    IT may not have been the compressor, the lump in your tire may have been due to the threads in the tire being torn or ripped which will also cause a bubble in the tire but most likely you overinflated. The best tip I got was to inflate your tire halfway then let all the air out. You can hear the tire suctioning on to the bead. Then inflate to desired psi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The title of this thread had me thinking this could have been much worse.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^This is general, it's safe here. Let a thread like that pop up in OC and it could have been much, much worse.

Edit for topical content; do not apply to skin:

Over inflation is bad, don't do it. Riding tires with cuts in them, don't do it. It's bad, I know because I'm doing it. Yes I'm aware of how stupid and hypocritical I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I was thinking it'd be a rim failure post. Had an old rim nuke on me while riding through an intersection. Rim brakes finally wore it down to paper thin status and BOOM. Thought someone shot at me. So did several other folks in the vicinity.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Wow could have been a lot worse!!!

mtbr member

Yup

^^Reported.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    They call that a "facial"

NMBP

That's funny. I was in the shop the other day with my back turned to the service area, and BOOM!! Scared the crap out of me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I knew a fella who was pumping up a fire extinguisher with air at a gas station, when the lid blew off. Hit him in the face, and changed his face.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post

No it wasn't WalMart, it was a guy who did a careless thing. The tube in it before was an almost year old Bell 5 dollar tube from WallyWorld. It took a lot of pounding as well as that whitewall tire from a WalMart Huffy, cruiser bike. I couldn't afford a 40 dollar tire at that time, so I stuck the old whitewall on there so I could ride. It was free and got a lot of miles out of it. I looked closely and it seems the beed ripped from the tire at about half an inch. Must be that is what caused the bead to pop off the wheel and let the tube burst out.

That tire did well considering it was never built for offroad and mega pounding. I never thought it would last that long.

Found some WTB wolverines on craigslist in my town that came off a newly bought bike the guy decided to switch tires on. Got the two tires, brand new for 20 bucks

banned
    Sep 2011
    Sounds like every person that dies within a 1000mile radius of a wallmart could blame the death on them too...:

When I almost got hit by that car last week on my bike, it happened right directly in front of Super Wal-Mart LMAO

slow
    A co-worker at a shop I worked at was inflating a tire with an air compressor while the wheel was leaning on his work bench, steadied by his upper thighs. Tire bead wasn't seated correctly and it blew off with a loud bang. Fortunately the section that blew off wasn't near his face, but unfortunately it was centered between his upper thighs.