Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

TSA Airport full body scan question....

So I flew out to Vegas last week, and upon entering the airport, went through the whole body scan booth thing.

Ended up having to sit and wait for several minutes while others went on by me after their scans. Got kinda freaky, even though I had nothing to hide when I realized there I was, on the screen, with a big red square on a portion of my body.

So the guy who was administering the Freedom Pat-down finally comes over to me and says there's something on my scan, and they need to feel me up. I'm wearing bike socks,and shorts, and it's on my ankle/shin area. He looks and realizes how silly this all is, but does his job anyway. Have to give him credit, he was very polite, respectful and apologetic based on the circumstances.

He finds nothing, and sends me on my way.

So my question is, how are these things looking for whatever they are? Anyone know? Is it density differences, metal, what? I have no metal anywhere, not that leg, or elsewhere. Not even and old break in a bone without pins or screws. All I can think of is many pedal whacks to my shins over the years have lead to a density change from all the bruises. Otherwise, I'm flummoxed.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think he was jealous of your manly biking legs. He probably just wanted to feel them up and compare them to his.

In all seriousness, I think you'd have a easier time trying to understand Einstein's Theory of Relativity in mathematical form than to understand the TSA screening process.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Well, at least you were not wearing a kilt.

No idea how these things work, but if they did pick up on differences in minor variatoins bone density, then wouldn't anyone who has ever broken or fractured a bone set off a flag?

Actually, I just did a light little background reading. The full body scanners don't seem to look under the skin, only under clothing. They use reflected radio waves, or reflected x-rays, rather than radiation that goes through the body. So these things can't pick up bone density changes or anything hidden inside a body.

So it's probably just the machine screwing up while still serving its main purpose as a prop in security theatre.

Workin for the weekend!
    I was amazed that the airport security didn't beep on my Ti plate or 8 SS screws...

Should I be worried?

I've always found that security at McCarran is very, very tight.

Last time I flew about a year ago, those full body scanners were only just starting to be installed. I did not go through them. Nor would I go through them now.

Considering the radiation exposure you get just from flying, and considering that radiation exposure is cumulative across a lifetime, I'd really rather avoid extra radiation exposure when I can. Considering that I've had cancer once already and that many of my checkups involved various medical imaging (not all of which involved radiation exposure, thankfully), I'd rather do what I can to avoid as much extra exposure as possible.

That link about the kilt-wearing fellas getting the pat downs was hilarious. I own (and wear) a couple of kilts and I had not thought about how to deal with airport security if I chose to wear one.

mtbr member
    With radiation. Don't get me started on the TSAs illegally, unconstitutional groping of children, elderly, your wife, your mother, your children and of coarse yourself. Or how much they spend on those scanners that'r outdated, dangerous, and un effective. Or how many gropers they hire have criminal records. Like NFL?, Well get ready to be groped again. That's right. The T in TSA stands for tranportation. So why are they at football games? 16 million people a year go to football games, and who pays for that? Your tax dollars. What's next, baseball, shopping malls, H.S. proms? Even police or FBI agents aren't allowed to search without probable cause, but the TSA does it all day long. That's right your guilty until proven innocent. Not even Russia or hitler's Germany did these things. Just sayin' Our freedoms are being stripped from us in the name of "safety". It's really a joke. We're more likely to die from a lightning strike or a bee sting than from terrorism, look it up, so why aren't the TSA agents running around holding tall metal rods and bug spray to keep us safe? The TSA should be dismantled, it's founder has said this also, but they will just grow, and take away more of our "freedoms" unless we, as a people, demand otherwise, so I have little hope.

rant over.
    Last edited by theMeat; 09-19-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Make sure to do a writeup for MTBR if you ever wear a kilt through a body search

I'd missed the bit in the OP about Vegas. I flew from there years ago before the full body scans. I'd just picked up a new full face helmet in Utah and carried it on as hand luggage. The TSA woman was completely mystified as to what it was and couldn't seem to understand why anyone would need something like that for a bicycle.

@Todd. If you look up how metal detectors work, you will see that there is a degree of 'tunability' for different types of metal. Maybe Ti medical parts are common enough (and rare enough in dangerous items) that the TSA had a rare attack of common sense and decided to tune out Ti.

Sweet, hit a hot button issue

That kilt link is a good one, thanks Womble!

I've flown a few times this year, and always just went through the metal detector. However, being that I flew in 9/11, and there was a "valid terrorist threat" I guess they upped the ante.

I flew out of Rochester NY that day, and all folks went through the zapper that I saw.

Actually, McCarran security was light comparatively.

No idea on what it saw, nothing but nasty, scarred, manly biker legs for them to play with....

So this is a radiation based scan? Suckfull, I avoid that crap, even at the dentist. Too bad they force us to do this now.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I recently went through one, and had a belt on with a plastic buckle (which I wear to airports on purpose so I don't have to take it off). In the scanner the guy told me I have to take it off anyway. So, I guess it's not metal that sets it off.
    But I had a penny in a cargo pocket I couldn't feel, but sure enough, I got the same big red square on that part of my leg in the image.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I got the same big red square on that part of my leg in the image.
    Yep, that was me, minus the penny. Now I'm going, WTF? What's going on with my leg? Bare skin and wool sock was all that was there....

Makes me wonder if I should chat with my doctor biking pal, just what do these things see, you know??

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Make sure to do a writeup for MTBR if you ever wear a kilt through a body search
    I might just do that. I'm headed to Costa Rica in the spring and might just wear my Sport Kilt hiking kilt (it's actually a good candidate for the plane - velcro attachment, elastic waist, no metal bits, light and comfy) on the plane. At least I'll be leaving out of Houston - I've flown out of there a few times and the TSA agents have been pretty polite. I flew out of Dallas last year and there was a particularly surly TSA agent that really seemed to have it out for my wife.

So this is a radiation based scan? Suckfull, I avoid that crap, even at the dentist. Too bad they force us to do this now.
    Yep...it's not quite as intense as an x-ray (I seem to recall hearing that the radiation output on those things was dialed back at some point early in their use), but it is a full body exposure whereas most x-rays cover pretty small areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

Yep...it's not quite as intense as an x-ray (I seem to recall hearing that the radiation output on those things was dialed back at some point early in their use), but it is a full body exposure whereas most x-rays cover pretty small areas.
    From TSA FAQ's:

Q. Is imaging technology safe?
    A. Advanced imaging technology is safe and meets national health and safety standards. Backscatter technology was evaluated by the Food and Drug Administrationís (FDA) Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST), and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL). For comparison, a single scan using backscatter technology produces exposure equivalent to two minutes of flying on an airplane, and the energy projected by millimeter wave technology is thousands of times less than a cell phone transmission.

TSA: Frequently Asked Questions

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    According to Wikpedia and any other semi-informative site, there are two types of scanner. One uses low power x-ray and the other uses high frequency radio. So they are radiation based, but the same could be said of shining a flashlight at someone (in so far as there is light being radiated from the filament).

If they're measuring backscatter/reflected radiation, it stands to reason that they would only need really low power radiation, far less than for a medical type x-ray. At least, that's my completely unqualified opinion as someone with zero medical backround...

Edit: funny, the sidebar ads are showing me ads for MRI machine repair. Good old Google adplacement technology at work there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Even paper in a pocket will set it off. I travel a lot and have the routine down - nothing in pockets, no belt, hold very still when it scans (if you move it blurs and your get the pat down). That being said I have seen many people say they don't want to go through the machine and they get patted down and wanded instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, that was me, minus the penny. Now I'm going, WTF? What's going on with my leg? Bare skin and wool sock was all that was there....

Makes me wonder if I should chat with my doctor biking pal, just what do these things see, you know??
    To avoid geek-speak - I'd have to know which type of scanner they used to make an attempt to guess at what it might have found. It may have been a software glitch, it may have been something else -
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Having to endure body scans and pat downs sucks. Having your airplane blow up in the air sucks worse.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Having to endure body scans and pat downs sucks. Having your airplane blow up in the air sucks worse.
    Giving up your freedom sucks worse
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I disagree. If there were a plane that required no searches and a plane that required searches, I'll take the plane with searches. I'm guessing you will not. And 999 times out of 1000, you'll be fine. I'm also guessing they'll have trouble finding pilots for the unsearched planes.

I appreciate that some people really dislike the idea of being searched. Unfortunately, there's every reason to believe there would be planes blowing up midair were these searches not done. That's the f'd up world we live in.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Niether", Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    You have the freedom to not fly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You have the freedom to not fly.
    Yup, and now football games and what's next?
    Come on people, we're not cattle to be herded. Do you really think that time, money and energy couldn't be better spent to make us "safe"? We're being set up. How bout just letting, or better yet making, pilots carry guns or tasers? Banks have been succesfully keeping their money safe, why can't airliners do the same for it's pasengers? Do you really think the TSA gives a rats ass about you, or are they more concerned with keeping their jobs, expanding, gaining more power? Look at El Al's safety record and protocal, they're not f@uckin' around, why are we?
    Patrick Henry once said, "United We Stand Divided We Fall". It seems politicians/big money know this, but the people are forgeting. Welcome to Wall st. government.
    Last edited by theMeat; 09-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Get ready"the-one1", random TSA check points WILL be set up. It's already in the works. Mark my words
    Last edited by theMeat; 09-19-2011 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I hate flying. I really really hate flying. Not because of crashing or other disasters like that. Its because of the security. You'll never know if they will haul you away "just because" and then deny you've ever existed. I know it sounds like a plot to a movie, but that's why I don't like to fly.
    So with that said, I agree that if you want to fly, you'll have to submit to their scans/groping/security checks.
    This is not about Freedom. As already mentioned, you do have the freedom NOT to fly. Now if they were doing those checks every time you got out of your house, that's when you complain about freedom.

<------- Not a terrorist

Old Time 1310 DB4
    This thread reminds me of a scene from This Is Spinal Tap....the scene with the cucumber...........

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Banks have been succesfully keeping their money safe, why can't airliners do the same for it's pasengers?
    No they don't. They are robbed with surprising regularity. Money is defrauded from them daily. I am not talking about the rogue trader at UBS. I am talking about ATM skimming, washed checks, counterfeit money, and nearly countless other types of fraud. My job is to teach incoming bankers all the ways to spot these frauds. Have you been into a bank with bandit barriers (bullet resistant windows) or the magnetically sealed double doors? They exist as a deterrent. The banks that have opted not to use these technologies are robbed at over 10 times the rate of a bank with the tech.

The difference between a bank and an airline is their products. Money is easily replaced by insurance. Is your or your loved one's life? So, how far do you have to go to stop a repeat of 9/11?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast