Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I like to ride my bike.

Try Platypus and Ditch Your Camelbak

I was getting really sick drinking from my Camelbak bladder. I used their cleaning tablets, took the water out post ride and put the bladder in the freezer...still tasted gross and got me sick for a few days after rides. I would always have a bad headache (yes, I was drinking plenty despite the gross taste) after the ride.

My Camelbak bite valve was easily caught on my seat when leaning back and would rip off, loosing 1/4 of my water before getting it back on.

So, a fellow rider in my group has a Platypus reservoir, I was curious and I had to try something to replace the C-bak. I am so, so, SO GLAD I GOT A PLATY!!!! It is mind-blowing how much better it is than the C-Bak bladder / reservoir. I've been lazy and left old water in there, I no longer have to put it in the freezer and still, the water tastes CLEAN and like water! I am no longer sick, no longer have headaches and the bite valve doesn't rip off.

I do definitely like the bite valve better (doesn't leak, easier to get more water w/less bite, etc.)

A couple other things too.

...and no, I don't work for Platy.

http://www.platy.com/

I like the actual Camelbak packs, but their reservoirs aren't so good.
    Last edited by RideFaster; 11-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Found old Hydropak's worked well too but got a new Deuter and been using NUUN tablets. The fit, ventilation and bladder seems noticably better than my MULE.
    RTR

mtbr member

Nasty!

I use to put sports addatives in my reseviors but I too got tired of the resulting science projects so I quit using anything other than water and solved the problem.
    I did however puncture my Camelback resevior and found replacements by Nalgene; I haven't tested it by adding anything to the water but they claim that the materials used are anti bacterial; and there actually cheeper than Camelback.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I was getting really sick drinking from my Camelbak bladder. I used their cleaning tablets, took the water out post ride and put the bladder in the freezer...still tasted gross and got me sick for a few days after rides. I would always have a bad headache (yes, I was drinking plenty despite the gross taste) after the ride.

My Camelbak bite valve was easily caught on my seat when leaning back and would rip off, loosing 1/4 of my water before getting it back on.

So, a fellow rider in my group had a Platypus reservoir, I was curious and I had to try something to replace the C-bak. I am so, so, SO GLAD I GOT A PLATY!!!! It is mind-blowing how much better it is than the C-Bak bladder / reservoir. I've been lazy and left old water in there, I no longer have to put it in the freezer and still, the water tastes CLEAN and like water! I am no longer sick, no longer have headaches and the bite valve doesn't rip off.

I also like the bite valve better (doesn't leak, easier to get more water w/less bite, etc.)

A couple other things too.

...and no, I don't work for Platy.

http://www.platy.com/

I like the actual Camelbak packs, but their reservoirs aren't so good.
    I agree about the Platypus bladders. Very nice, lots of size choices and reasonable prices.

Do not agree about Camelbak packs. I much prefer Wingnut packs. Better fit, more stable and more comfortable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

slow
    Been using the same Platy bladder for 13 years with no complaints. I did, however, put a Camelback bite valve on the hose because the first generation Platy valve was not so good.

mtbr member
    My Camelbak came with an anti-microbial reservoir, it doesn't leak, is super tough and holds a ton of water. Maybe yours is just really old. The platypus might be great too, but the only problem I have with my Camelbak is that it makes my back sweaty.

Hose is catching on the seat??? How do you have it routed?
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I want to chime in on the NUUN tablets. In the last six weeks I have done rides of 6.5 hours, two 10+ hour days in a row, and also two four hire training rides in the Florida heat--with zero cramps. And my Camelback bladders have not been getting funky like they would if you put a sugary sports drink in there.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've found Camelbak bladders to be absolutely fine as long as I keep them clean.

On the other hand, I've found their packs to be overhyped, under-designed, solidly mediocre offerings (with the obligatory nods towards Wingnut, Deuter and Ergon here).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I use to put sports addatives in my reseviors but I too got tired of the resulting science projects so I quit using anything other than water and solved the problem.
    I did however puncture my Camelback resevior and found replacements by Nalgene; I haven't tested it by adding anything to the water but they claim that the materials used are anti bacterial; and there actually cheeper than Camelback.
    Nalgene bladders rock. The quick-release on the hose attachment means you don't have to re-run your hose every ride.

They will grow funk though - don't believe they won't.

Unfortunately, I took a leaky Nalgene to REI for warranty replacement only to find that they don't carry them any more, and they offered comperable replacement - Camelback. Oh well....
    One ride in and I already think the bite valve is too leaky. Great flow when bitten correctly, but set your pack down and the valve happens to get weighted and...wet pack.

Life is Good
    The newer generation anti microbial camelbak bladders beat the pants off of the older generation bladders I first had when I got my camelbak in 2001. The new ones grew all sorts of little utopias if I wasn't careful. I don't have too much of a problem with my new bladder except for around the bite valve, but that's easy enough to clean.

I am having a leaking problem in/around the bite valve area though, and that's kind of annoying.

As far as other brand hydration packs, a few of my friends have them and I've seen them have nothing but trouble. Leaks, hard to use bite valves... I usually tell them to put a camelbak reservoir in their pack and call it quits.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I was getting really sick drinking from my Camelbak bladder. I used their cleaning tablets, took the water out post ride and put the bladder in the freezer.
    Well, there goes part of the problem right there. Freezing does absolutely nothing at all for you.

A cross post from another forum on mtb's:
    Hey, guys...

I was a microbiologist in a previous life, and I can tell you with all due certainty that freezing will not kill microbes. It will slow down their metabolism and reproduction, but it definitely will not kill them. They'll resume their normal function as soon as they warm up.

The only way to actually kill bacteria and mold in your CamelBak effectively is to use one of the commercially available detergents and/or sterilizing agents.

Let's look at it this way: if freezing was effective for disinfection, you'd hear about it being used in labs and operating rooms, as it would be safer and more cost effective than the current process. Labs and ORs sterilize their equipment using an autoclave - high-pressure steam heat.

mtbr member
    i really like my nalgene bladder. the quick detach hose is awesome, they even come with a magnetic clip that secures your bite valve to your packs chest strap (greatest invention ever), and the bladder doesnt have any taste at all.

Probably drunk right now

Wingnut and Water Bladders

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I agree about the Platypus bladders. Very nice, lots of size choices and reasonable prices.

Do not agree about Camelbak packs. I much prefer Wingnut packs. Better fit, more stable and more comfortable.
    Shiggy,

What Platypus bladder fits with your Wingnut. I riding w an MPS Alpha and cramming a standard C-bak bladder in to the square (bottom) bladder pouch. It "works" but it not very well. Without some sort of sizing chart (or someone that knows the answer), the last time I looked I couldn't figure out which Platypus bladder would work with a square pouch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Try the military spec stuff from Camelback. Both the packs and the bladders are a step up. Quick release fittings, etc. LA Police gear has better prices than direct.

mtbr member

Cheaper than dirt

Try cheaper than dirt (military surplus) if you'r not particular about your resevior brand; the website has new overstock military reseviors for $10 last time I checked.

mtbr member
    I have had to replace at least 3 platypus bladders in the last 4 years because they eventually leak at the seam where it "folds" as it fills and empties.

Tim

Hoosier
    Have had no problems with my camelbak bladder however the pack is uncomfortable most of the time. My next pack will most likely be an Osprey
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member

another vote for Platypus

Been using Platypus bladders in my Mule. Even the latest Camelback bladders have that vinyl taste that I can't stand. Platypus doesn't have that garden hose taste.

Gotta clean 'em and dry 'em ASAP after the ride.

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    I have had to replace at least 3 platypus bladders in the last 4 years because they eventually leak at the seam where it "folds" as it fills and empties.

Tim
    Yes, the guy I referred to in my original post has had several of his Platy's leak. He claims they are good with their warranty and they pay shipping to send him a new one when it leaks.

About the freezer thing, it doesn't hurt if it at least temporarily slows their growth, and I would think that combined with the cleaning tablets and draining the water...it would've helped. It was a newer bladder to whoever asked.

And, I lied ( ) In my first post, I said I like the actual packs...in truth I don't, I just put that there to not sound completely negative on C-Bak's part. They are OK, but my main gripe is they never feel just right on my back.

I just wanted to say thanks to Platy and let the whole wide world know.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Keatan
    Have had no problems with my camelbak bladder however the pack is uncomfortable most of the time. My next pack will most likely be an Osprey

Been using my Osprey hydropack with my Platy bladder for 13 years. Comfortable and durable.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I think I am the only one in this post who has no complaints about their camelback lol. I have been using mine for about a year now and besides one time where I was stupid enough to put some gatorade in there it has been bacteria free and tasting great. I like the way it is designed and feel it is build very solidly and fits comfy when you have it adjusted right.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

NMBP
    I am happy with the older Camelbak bladders, the ones with the small screw top openings. I always have mine in the freezer. The larger openings are too hard to open when cold or frozen. I have never had anything grow in mine. I also only use water. Bladders that aren't being used are allowed to completely air dry (on a bladder expander) before being put away.

I route my hydration hose over my shoulder so it never gets caught on anything. Occasionally it will pinch open while being transported or set down if I forget to close the valve.

I have tried other bladders and hate their bite valves.

I also highly recommend Wingnuts.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I had a circa 1994 C'back. The bite valve fit over the T shaped end of the hose. Really, really, easy to knock off. I don't know what ever became of it during my extended hiatus from riding. Knowing how well I kept it clean back then plus what I put in it it probably walked away on it's own...

The Classic I got this summer is so much better than the old one I had. The only thing I've noticed is that if the bite valve hits my knee hard enough it sprays me a bit. Oh well. Beats drinking from a dirt covered bottle...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My camel back one works fine. I use only water and clean it out with cheap gin or vodka on a fairly regular basis. No growth, taste or leaks in the year or two I've had it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    After 3 more uses, I find that the Camelback bite valve SUCKS and leaks whenever something touches it.
    LAME.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast