Professional Crastinator

True or False? - Uphill Switchback Uses Same Body Position as Track Stand

In attempting to put into words for a novice rider the proper way to maintain traction and make an uphill switchback, I boiled it down to: Learn how to track stand, then go do your uphill switchback.

Does this seem like sound advice?

I managed to demonstrate it, even rolling backwards a bit on the switchback, but he's still not quite got it. He might have it tomorrow, though.

I think he needs to forget about the front wheel and make sure he has the rear tire in the right place - he's just not used to purposely riding his front tire off the trail (and turning sharply, and centering his body, and balancing traction, and pedaling really hard but controlled, etc. etc. etc.).

But I think if he learns the trackstand position, he will find all that balance even if his pedal skills are still developing.

Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Those skills can't hurt. I'd say the only difference is that if you draw a plumb line down from your center of gravity while level and do the same while climbing on an uphill switchback, the plumb lines will only be the same if you shift your CG forward- so body position will have to be further forward to keep the weight properly distributed.

dwt
    mtbr member

I think this vid is a pretty good switchback instructional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9efIKIvk8&sns=em
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I think this vid is a pretty good switchback instructional

Bikeskills.com: Switchbacks - YouTube
    It's interesting that he advises shifting your body to the inside of the turn to keep the bike vertical, while others have advised shifting the body to the outside of the turn to get the bike angled over into the turn. In either case, the center of gravity is in the same relative position (you're balanced either way) to the contact patch. I find the body to the outside to get the bike tilted into the turn, for slow climbing switchbacks to be more effective. Wondering what others think.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yep - uphill, you shift INSIDE the turn, while downhill you shift OUTSIDE. Apex and timing is also crucial.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Professional Crastinator
    I did not get to watch the vid yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It's interesting that he advises shifting your body to the inside of the turn to keep the bike vertical, while others have advised shifting the body to the outside of the turn to get the bike angled over into the turn. In either case, the center of gravity is in the same relative position (you're balanced either way) to the contact patch. I find the body to the outside to get the bike tilted into the turn, for slow climbing switchbacks to be more effective. Wondering what others think.
    ^^^THIS is what I was trying to convey. To be over the bike to better control traction. If your body is inside the turn and the rear tire slips you are done. If you are over it and it slips, then you are just a little inside on the turn and you can recover. Yes?

This is for the purpose of a beginner MTB clinic.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I've been using the vid technique for a few years now. I'm pretty much convinced outside arm extended, bike vertical, and turn the wheel rather than tilt the bike, is the way to go.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.