Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    b a n n e d

Trouble sleeping after a ride?

I'm going to guess that I'm in a minority here and that most people are going to say "I sleep like a baby!", but anyone else have problems sleeping after a ride?

I've been noticing more and more lately that after riding - even if I ride in the morning - that night I toss and turn and don't get a very restful night sleep. Its much worse if I go for a night ride . . . anyone else notice this?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That use to happen to me after early eveing rides,I would be too amped to go to sleep. Doesn't happen anymore ,don't know what changed.

T.W.O.
    After a night ride I can understand, sometimes I've got that too. Rangeriderdave said it, too amped up to sleep, but if you ride in the morning and have trouble sleeping I think it may not be bike or exercise related. Check your diet may be.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    exercising in the evening is known to cause sleeplessness in more than just a few people. i think it amps the blood pressure, heart rate up and it takes longer than usual to calm down for sleep.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    exercising in the evening is known to cause sleeplessness in more than just a few people. i think it amps the blood pressure, heart rate up and it takes longer than usual to calm down for sleep.
    Yes working out or doing exercising before before bed causes the adrenaline to pump up.

Do you drink a lot of coffee or drinks with Caffeine in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yup i have a very bad all day every day coke zero habit.

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Yes working out or doing exercising before before bed causes the adrenaline to pump up.

T.W.O.
    I rode this morning and so far I had 3 cups of coffees still very sleepy For me after a hot shower, I get sleepy. After a night ride I used to stop by my fitness and took a shower before a long drive home, I stopped doing it after a few times.

pin it
    There is so many causes of insomnia to rule out. Riding a few hours before bedtime might affect your ability to relax and fall asleep.

You may want to try some trial and error to see how working out affects the quality of your sleep.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ride in the morning and usually by night time i can get to sleep, but sugar in the afternoon or falling asleep before bed time and waking up and i'm screwed. Usually i can make up the sleep somehow but if it goes for too many days without quality sleep life becomes a bit challenging

Downhill fan
    I only have this issue when I am out Downhill/Freeriding for the day. I toss and turn all night constantly waking up. I never have this issue when I go out on XC rides. For me it's all adrenalin related.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    After a night ride I can understand, sometimes I've got that too. Rangeriderdave said it, too amped up to sleep, but if you ride in the morning and have trouble sleeping I think it may not be bike or exercise related. Check your diet may be.
    On days I don't ride, I have no problems falling or staying asleep (knocks wood). I eat a fairly decent diet as well with regular hours as well.

However, I will say that I probably DON'T have the best POST-RIDE eating habits. I tend to come home and devour whatever is in sight . . . often a lot of carbs. That may be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post

I have ~2-3 c. of coffee per day, every day and almost exclusively before noon. Had this habit for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 GT Rebound View Post
    I only have this issue when I am out Downhill/Freeriding for the day. I toss and turn all night constantly waking up. I never have this issue when I go out on XC rides. For me it's all adrenalin related.
    This is exactly the issue . . . I fall asleep right away, but wake up frequently. Generally not rested in the morning.

After thinking about it, I'm betting its related to what and how I eat after a ride.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I did a metric century last summer (road bike) on one of the hottest and windiest days if the year. I'd never ridden that distance before and the ride totally kicked my ass.

Had a hard time getting to sleep and when I did, I didn't sleep worth a damn.

I took the next day off work - good move.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A shot of Jack, and a beer or two
    works for me.

mtbr member
    I sleep fine, but I do usually get some bizarre dreams after a big ride.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I did a metric century last summer (road bike) on one of the hottest and windiest days if the year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Moderate exercise in the evening can often help sleep.

Extreme efforts, exhaustion, cramping, heavy meals, injury, altitude can all make it harder to get to sleep.

I always felt like I slept best when I had a planned, consistent training regimen that allowed for recovery. I did all my workouts in the early evening and ate a light dinner afterwards.

Kids, work, and school prevent me from having any kinds of a consistent workout schedule right now.

mtbr member
    I have this problem only if it's a (much) bigger than normal ride, even if it's a morning ride. I don't have any trouble falling asleep I just don't sleep deeply and wake frequently. Let me know if you figure it out, I have no solution as yet.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Lord Thunderbottom
    when I get home from a good ride, I'm totally pumped, no way I'm sleeping

unless it's just a long ride that packed on boring road miles

Tactical Nightmare
    Night rides Ė That is one reason why Iím not too keen on night riding. It is a blast for sure, but getting home at 11:30 on a weeknight, when I get up at 6am the next morning, isnít a good combo. I toss, turn, canít sleep, and if I do, I find myself jarring myself awake because I am half-dreaming about being on my bike, tearing up the trail. It is a weird sensation for sure.

Morning rides Ė I sleep with no issues at all. But I am the kind of guy that can drink a cup of Starchuckís dark roast at 3pm, and can be falling asleep on the couch by 9. I ride better in the morning too actually. More energy, better eating before a morning ride as opposed to eating regularly during the day and hitting the trails in the evening.

The adrenaline rush of the evening ride is the same thing I ran into playing city league hoops, with hour long games starting at 9pm. Getting home at 10:30, showering, eating dinner (donít eat much before a game), and relaxing a bit, puts me up until easily past midnight. But I donít sleep in either. Even if really tired in the morning, sleeping past 8 is something I only did when I was about 14-15 years old.

But OP, ummm there are some, ummmm, sleep aids that work really well too. Natural, green, and not pharmaceutical based, that can do wonders. By no means do I condone the use of OTC sleep aids, but as I mentioned, there are other options to go with that can help too. I know, taboo topic, right? Sorry, I just had to mention. Iím sure this crossed otherís minds too, right?
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    youve probably hit the nail on the head already......youre probably too stuffed with calories and your body is dealing with both the stress of the ride and the stress of having to digest all the food youve eaten. i have this problem too. but what ive started doing is taking a cliff bar with me. they arent very good but i i eat it right after a ride by the time i get home im calmed down enough so that i dont tear up everything edible in sight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Try melatonin tablets. Wonderful stuff! Your body produces less as you age. I never had any trouble sleeping until around age 40. Taking melatonin before bed worked wonders. After taking it for a week or so, I am usually OK for a month or two, then need to take it again.

Also great for managing jet lag.

1 mg is the recommended dose, but doseage doesn't seem to be critical. I buy 3 mg tablets from WalMart or anywhere, take a half-pill, and save a little $$$. But it isn't expensive even if you just get the 1 mg size.

mtbr member
    I get really bad restless legs if I go to bed after riding all night. I've found that stretching, potassium intake, and green leafy vegetables help the muscles calm down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ I get restless legs sometimes , and there is no
    reason that I can find. It really sucks and I feel for
    you.

Downhill fan
    As other have said, I can fall asleep right away but the qlty of sleep is crap. I found that my potassium intake is key for me in relieving this restless leg feeling. Bananas, bananas, bananas! Before and after rides. On Downhill days nothing helps. 8 hrs a day of downhill/freeriding kills me. I constantly wake up all night and shifting myself around still feeling like I am on the bike. For fun like that I will take 2 nights of sleeplessness! LOL
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'm going to guess that I'm in a minority here and that most people are going to say "I sleep like a baby!", but anyone else have problems sleeping after a ride?

I've been noticing more and more lately that after riding - even if I ride in the morning - that night I toss and turn and don't get a very restful night sleep. Its much worse if I go for a night ride . . . anyone else notice this?
    You should ride the Hard Coe(re) 100 ride and then report back to us. Chances are good youíll start nodding off on the drive back home.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast