mtbr member

trigger or grip shifters

Need 3 more things to finish this bike.

Back wheel , rear sprocket and shifters.

It's going to be 27 speed and have the SRAM X9 rear Derailleur already.

On my old faithful 18 speed. Yeh I said old. I always had SRAM grip shifters and they did the job.

Was going to buy X0 SRAM grip shifters unless any one can convince me trigger is better.

Thoughts welcome.
    If I can't ride to work then it 's not going to be a good day

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

depends

I found trigers uncomfortable as it happened many times that I hit it with my knee; also I really like to grip with my thumb and index finger and I brake with 2 midlle ones so it makes more sense to have grips rather. I woul advice you'd go riding with friends and just try what suits you. good luck

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sram triggers suck. Shimanos are better, but they don't play well with Sram.

I keep trying them on various bikes over the years since folks keep telling me "oh they fixed that, blah blah blah", and keep coming up with the same short falls, the thumb levers flex upwards and jam against the body under heavy multiple gear shift attempts, they're prone to contamination, anything but the most expensive ones seem to lose their detent snap after a season or two, super plasticy feel, the list goes on. I dislike grips shifters since they trigger on me during certain efforts or body english, but if you're married to the Scram stuff, I'd go that way if you want it to be working decently in a year or so....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

SSOD
    Sram is the way to go, unless you want xtr, shimano is crap IMO. I run xo twist on my bike and love it. Have also had triggers in the past and they worked great but I find for longer endurance rides the twist to be better because that's mainly what I do on that bike. If your use to twist then stay with them, but atleast like others said, try out a buddies bike with triggers and see if you like them any better.

Little harsh on Shimano stuff but from my experience with xt stuff, it required more monthly maintenance and tuning than sram x9 or xo ever did the entire time I had it.
    Last edited by Crosstown Stew; 12-01-2010 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    I run XO twisties with X9 rear. works great. Most of my riding buddies have had custom builds and they've gone with the XOs as well.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for triggers. I used twist for a long time and both of my 29ers came with triggers. Took a bit of time to get accustomed to but I definitely like triggers better now (both are SRAM).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsale
    Need 3 more things to finish this bike.

Back wheel , rear sprocket and shifters.

It's going to be 27 speed and have the SRAM X9 rear Derailleur already.

On my old faithful 18 speed. Yeh I said old. I always had SRAM grip shifters and they did the job.

Was going to buy X0 SRAM grip shifters unless any one can convince me trigger is better.

Thoughts welcome.
    Both are good. I prefer twisters when the hands get tired - maybe even numb and I am cross eyed in an XC race.

If you go twisters, there's not much difference at all between X.7, X.9 and X.0 SRAM grip shifters (they are all light at 195g per pair). You may as well save the cash. X.7's grips are a bit thinner and line up perfectly with grips. X.0's are fatter and you're paying for a bit of bling without any weight loss benefit. I've got both and can't tell the difference between them in shifting performance.

I also have X.0 triggers on another bike and have had difficulty with the right hand shifter wanting to "eat" cables every few months. I've tried fixing this and had the trigger apart several times making sure everything is in order. Odd, but that's what I'm dealing with on my right hand X.0 trigger. No troubles what so ever with the grip shifts over the years.

It all comes down to personal preference.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Grip vs Trigger is really a personal preference thing.

One of my bikes has X9 gear, and I really love the shifters. However, I'm addicted to Shimano's Low Normal setup, so therefore I'm forced to use Shimano stuff.
    If I could get X9 shifters to work with a Shimano Low-Normal rear derailler, that would be the ulltimate setup for me, but that is impossible to get to work.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    Grip vs Trigger is really a personal preference thing.

One of my bikes has X9 gear, and I really love the shifters. However, I'm addicted to Shimano's Low Normal setup, so therefore I'm forced to use Shimano stuff.
    If I could get X9 shifters to work with a Shimano Low-Normal rear derailler, that would be the ulltimate setup for me, but that is impossible to get to work.
    SRAM Attack twist shifters work with Low Normal Shimano derailleurs just fine, the numbers will be reversed but who looks at those!

I've used Shimano and SRAM triggers and SRAM twisters over the years...I always come back to the Twisters. They are light, super reliable, allow front derailleur "trim", and the ability to dump multiple gears at one time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    When I Was Buildig Customs I Always Went For Grips.
    If Trigers-shimano.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith

I keep trying them on various bikes over the years since folks keep telling me "oh they fixed that, blah blah blah", and keep coming up with the same short falls, the thumb levers flex upwards and jam against the body under heavy multiple gear shift attempts, they're prone to contamination, anything but the most expensive ones seem to lose their detent snap after a season or two, super plasticy feel, the list goes on. I dislike grips shifters since they trigger on me during certain efforts or body english, but if you're married to the Scram stuff, I'd go that way if you want it to be working decently in a year or so....

Great points here. The lower-end SRAM stuff has a very cheap feel (we're talking SX-5 and X-7) so I would stay away from them. You can pick up used X-0 triggers on craigslist for relatively cheap, but I don't see a big difference between them and the new Shimano stuff.

I see a lot of XC racers using grip shifters because they're lightweight and have excellent action. If you have experience with them and don't mind the hand-placement or grip restrictions, I'd say go for it!

Personally I stay away from grip shifters as nothing beats the old XTR M-952 stuff

mtbr member
    I am more of a trigger kind of guy. I have the SRAM X-7's and I like them quite a bit. I have used some twisties (lower quality) in the past and just do not like changing gear with my wrist. I have also used some Shimano Deore XT triggers and just did not like the way they felt in comparison, plus they do not have an aluminum push lever. lol

-Brett

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I run SRAM X7 and X9 trigger shifters on my bikes. The X7s are heavier, but they work just as well as the X9s plus you get the gear indicator and it's easier to replace the cables on the X7s. I used to like Grip Shift better - cleaner look, more intuitive shifting. But in the end there were two things that made me go trigger: I don't like the bulge of the shifter under my hand and I like lock-on grips. I have big hands, so the mini lock-on grips for grip shifter means my hands would be resting on the aluminum collar and gripshifter.

mtbr member
    I don't think this question can be answered by anyone. You have to decide what you like best. \

If you never tried triggers, that would probably be enough reason for me to buy them, just to try them.

Right now I use gripshift, but I like triggers too. I wouldn't complain with either set up.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    I don't like the bulge of the shifter under my hand and I like lock-on grips. I have big hands, so the mini lock-on grips for grip shifter means my hands would be resting on the aluminum collar and gripshifter.
    FYI-Regular Lock-Ons that are trimmed and clamped on the outside end work just fine

Ride Instigator
    Depends on what you like, I've always been a twister guy and would never even consider trigger shifters because I get all confused when I get on a bike with triggers

I'm currently running X9 shortys into X9 derailleur on one bike and SRAM Attack into XT on another...both work like a charm but the X9/X9 setup is a little more precise.

Stucco Bucket
    Grip shifter here. But I have a production bike that has Shimano triggers on it. My big reason to grip shift is getting all the way through the gear selection super fast. from little to big on the back super fast. thats all I have for input.

mtbr member
    Went with x9 twisters on my new build, recently converted from shim triggers. Night and day for me, so much more precise feeling. They were lighter and cheaper than the triggers, so quick decision. Never thought I would like them as much as I do. Trim on the front der, don't have to move my hand position at all to shift, dump a few gears all at once without any protesting, shifting into a bigger ring up front seems to be a lot less of an event.

Drawbacks, the x9s seem a little plasticy and cheap looking, the grips that come with them suck....thats about all I've got...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy35
    Went with x9 twisters on my new build, recently converted from shim triggers. Night and day for me, so much more precise feeling. They were lighter and cheaper than the triggers, so quick decision. Never thought I would like them as much as I do. Trim on the front der, don't have to move my hand position at all to shift, dump a few gears all at once without any protesting, shifting into a bigger ring up front seems to be a lot less of an event.

Drawbacks, the x9s seem a little plasticy and cheap looking, the grips that come with them suck....thats about all I've got...
    I didn't like my X9 grips either, so I fixed them:

Gripshifter too fat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith

I disagree....I greatly prefer Sram triggers to Shimano. It's nice to have choices

ouch....
    I've always used triggers, just cause the bikes always had em.

We put grip shifters on a friends bike & I tried it riding around the yard...def can shift a bunch of gears way faster with the twisties...
    I may switch...someday...

I've also hit my knee on the triggers, annoying sometimes.
    Riding.....