mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trek Y5 still good?

After 12(?) years, I finally broke something on my Trek Y5. I haven't kept up with mountain biking at all in the past 10 years, so I'm not sure whether I should fix this bike or buy a used one - around here, Victoria B.C., it seems to be a buyers market for used bikes.

Anyhoo, I broke the chain today and I think the derailler and maybe the derailler mount on the frame may also need to be fixed/replaced. Old Deore XT derailleur and the frame mount appears to be removable with some screws.

I remember some mention years ago that when u replace the chain u also need to replace the cassette and front gears?

I'm still lookin' into things, but I'm not sure if my bike is an old dog that's not worth putting money into.

Warrior's Society
    THe Trek Y bikes were never GOOD bikes.....there is a reason why nobody uses the Unified Rear Triangle(URT) suspension design anymore.

Yes, usually you would change the chain and cassette together.....especially if the 2 are quite old. There is a 50 / 50 chance that the chainrings would need replacing as well.

I personally would not dump a bunch of money into it......but like I said that is me. Depends on your financial situation.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I'll look around to see what's available and check into exactly what needs fixing.

I'd venture a guess that because the bike is so old (and hasn't had the chainrings replaced before) that there's better than a 50/50 chance that at least the middle ring will need replacing. And just hope you've got individually replaceable chainrings.

That rear derailleur hanger isn't a tough fix...just replaced one on my bike recently (after replacing, I found that my old one was just 1mm out of alignment, which made a huge diff in shifting. ugh). but you may have some trouble finding one for a bike that long in the tooth (and no longer made, to boot).

You shouldn't need to worry about the derailleur much, though. a new SLX or maybe even deore would probably work at least as well as an old XT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Sick Puppy
    After 12(?) years, I finally broke something on my Trek Y5. I haven't kept up with mountain biking at all in the past 10 years, so I'm not sure whether I should fix this bike or buy a used one - around here, Victoria B.C., it seems to be a buyers market for used bikes.

Anyhoo, I broke the chain today and I think the derailler and maybe the derailler mount on the frame may also need to be fixed/replaced. Old Deore XT derailleur and the frame mount appears to be removable with some screws.

I remember some mention years ago that when u replace the chain u also need to replace the cassette and front gears?

I'm still lookin' into things, but I'm not sure if my bike is an old dog that's not worth putting money into.
    I just got rid of my 94ish Y5 about 4 months ago. I got a Trex EX8.

Was like going from a 69vw Bug to a Z06 vette.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They were never "good" bikes (not the Y5 level anyway) but they aren't poor bikes either. I'd say "fair" sums them up. If you're the occassional weekend recreational rider, the pivot bushings aren't shot (because its unlikely trek still has replacements by this stage) and the shock isn't blown, then replacing the worn drivetrain parts isn't out of the realm of reasonable spending.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread