mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trek / Gary Fisher warranty issue

I have a Gary Fisher Cake. It was given to me brand new in 2005 as a gift from colleagues in my office. Three years later, the frame cracked and Gary Fisher replaced it. Recently the replacement frame cracked. Now, Trek/Gary Fisher is telling my bike shop that I need the original receipt. Since it was a gift, I don't have the original receipt. Any suggestions......super bummed.

Warrior's Society
    The original recirpt doesn't make much difference, now that th serial number has changed. The shop that handled the warranty before should have a record of it.....if not, Trek should have record of it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the reply. The bike shop "changed computer systems" and can't find my purchase information. Hopefully Trek can find some documentation and stand by the warranty. We'll see what happens..... bcrane

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    From what my LBS told me when I just put my hifi on layaway is that the frame has a limited lifetime warranty. Limited against damage from defects. I was told that warranty doesn't matter on purchase or if you sell it to someone else. The warranty follows the frame.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks, I found out today that Trek will honor the warranty on the frame. I am very happy about that. Question: Since they don't make the Cake frame any longer they are offering me a different frame or $900 +/-. I am curious if anyone knows how they arrive at that amount for the credit? Does the shop decide the amount or is it Trek? Do I have to use my credit at the same shop where the bike was purchased? I need to make my credit go as far as possible and was curious if I could shop around?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrane View Post
    Thanks, I found out today that Trek will honor the warranty on the frame. I am very happy about that. Question: Since they don't make the Cake frame any longer they are offering me a different frame or $900 +/-. I am curious if anyone knows how they arrive at that amount for the credit? Does the shop decide the amount or is it Trek? Do I have to use my credit at the same shop where the bike was purchased? I need to make my credit go as far as possible and was curious if I could shop around?

$ amount is decided by Trek.

Since hey no longer make the Cake(no loss really).....the current comparable frame would probably be a Fuel Ex. Any of the other "Fisher" bikes are going to be 29ers.

The $900 credit would be goo on any other bike/manufacturer that that shop sells.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.