mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Trek Fuel EX8 vs Specialized Stumpjumper FSR vs Spec. Camber Comp

I'm now riding a HT with 80mm fork. I just demo'd the Trek Fuel and the Superfly. I rode both bikes in Descend mode. This was my first time on a FS bike, what a freaking difference. I liked the Fuel better because I didn't notice any difference in efficiency and even if I had the suspension has the CTD system anyway if I was on a smooth fire road you could switch it to trail. The fuel is 120mm and the superfly is 100mm.

My other option and I haven't ridden either is with Specialized. Stumpjumper FSR or the Camber comp. The Stumpy has 130mm and Camber 110mm. The Stumpy also has the brain (+/-?)

So while the Superfly seems good I think a little more travel would be good. The Stumpy might be overkill by the brain might make the difference. I really liked the fuel and could definitely live with it. The Camber might be the perfect compromise. All the bikes in 29er.

I usually ride rolling rocky rooty bumpy single track/ rough XC style no climbs or descents bigger than around 200 vert feet. I don't race. Opinions?

29ers Forever
    If you are looking for a "trail" bike, look at the Rocky Mountain Instinct at 130mm. If you want 120mm travel look at the Transition Bandit.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

official eMpTyBRain
    The best thing you can do is to start a thread in your state forum page here on MTBR and ask what the guys are riding on the trails you ride.
    Last edited by Hawg; 05-13-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    I usually ride rolling rocky rooty bumpy single track/ rough XC style no climbs or descents bigger than around 200 vert feet. I don't race. Opinions?
    Disclaimer: I haven't ridden any of the bikes you've mentioned.

I'd go with the least amount of travel. 100mm front and back on a 29er is plenty for rough XC. Given the rolling terrain you're probably going to be hammering a lot in short bursts and you're probably not going to be packing up your shocks on multiple fast hits. That would push me towards a lighter and more pedal friendly setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    The best thing you can do is to start a thread in your state forum page here on MTBR and ask what the guys are riding on the trails you ride.
    I talk to guys out on the trail and it's a total mix. Some guys are on hardtails and some are on 6 inch bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fetad View Post
    Disclaimer: I haven't ridden any of the bikes you've mentioned.

I'd go with the least amount of travel. 100mm front and back on a 29er is plenty for rough XC. Given the rolling terrain you're probably going to be hammering a lot in short bursts and you're probably not going to be packing up your shocks on multiple fast hits. That would push me towards a lighter and more pedal friendly setup.
    That's what I was thinking too but then I rode the Fuel and liked it fine and it flew downhill. Initially I was thinking Specialized Epic. I think I'll ride the Camber if I can. So far the only one I've ruled out is the Stumpy.

Fuel, superfly, Camber or Epic. 120, 110, or 100 hmmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's what I was thinking too but then I rode the Fuel and liked it fine and it flew downhill. Initially I was thinking Specialized Epic. I think I'll ride the Camber if I can. So far the only one I've ruled out is the Stumpy.

Fuel, superfly, Camber or Epic. 120, 110, or 100 hmmmmm.....
    I have a Fuel 29er, and had a Superfly FS. The Fuel suspension does pedal better and is more efficient...no doubt it pedals better when set up properly, and takes bumps and big hits better. I don't think you give up a lot by going to the Fuel, but gain a lot. If you are buying a race bike it is a completely different story, but for trail riding like you describe, the Fuel is definitely the way to go and 120-130mm in general is better for that IMO. I have test ridden the Specy bikes you list, and IMO the suspension on the Fuel is better, while handling is in the same ball park...so my opinion is the Trek is an overall better bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a fuel ex9.i plan to race xc with it for fun.im im a really aggressive rider. So the extra 20mm helps.more important is the geometry is more fun amd comfortable compared to a xc bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm down to the Camber or Fuel. Right now I'm heavily leaning Fuel because for one, I rode it and loved it and it also has DRCV shock which I really think is why that bike felt so good.

If I can ride a Camber I will but I would be surprised if it could feel better.

I like pie.
    I talk to guys out on the trail and it's a total mix. Some guys are on hardtails and some are on 6 inch bikes.
    Well there you have it!

Just get the bike that fits you the best. The one you like the most. There is no "best bike" for X type conditions. What matters is getting a bike that you like and just ride.

Skill matters more than how much travel one's bike has.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Make sure you look at trek care plus that will help in your decision

addicted to chunk
    Too many riders with issues with the brain shocks, personally I'd avoid them.
    I have an ex9 & it rides quite nicely.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm going to get the Fuel EX 8. I loved the DRCV suspension. It had plenty of travel and the components on it are better than what's on my Cannondale hard tail that I'm riding now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Got the Fuel Ex 8. Awesome bike. I did my usual 18 mile ride 20 minutes faster than on the HT. Except I was going downhill so fast the second time I rode it I clipped a tree. I'll be looking a little farther up the trail from now on!