mtbr member
    Mar 2012

trek 6700 r 4500 HELP PICK

Both of these bikes will fit me. I am looking for a strong sturdy bike, I weight 230lbs. Looking to ride this bike off road on trails with jumps turns ect. So it has to be able to take some abuse. Im not worried about the price for both.

Please weight in on witch one i should get, also give reason WHY. (pics of the bike are below, click the link)

I do understand that these two are entry levels bike and that's what i am looking for.
    Thanks!!!!!

**UPDATE: Alot of you guys are saying that i have to make sure i dont get "cheated".
    What should I look for when i check out the bikes.? Also Witch bike should i pick say if they were both in good condition.? and WHY =]

can i get more opinion?

Trek 6700 Mountain Bike 2003

Trek 4500 Mountain Bike (21 inch frame)

mtbr member
    At 230 pounds and going off jumps you are going to need a new set of wheels fast regardless of which (notice the spelling of "which" here) bike you choose. Entry level bikes come with entry level components not suited for what you describe.

The best advice anyone will give you is this: buy the one that fits you best and you feel you will get the most enjoyment out of.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As I stated in the other, exact same thread, I would not categorize a 6700 as an entry level bike. It has notably better components than the 4500 and is a newer model with an adjustable pressure air fork. The price is right for the 6700, imo. I don't understand how there's any debate.

FirstRider, I see you just copy pasta-ed the other post, but you didn't copy the links to the ads, prices or include the Bikepedia links or even fix the year on the 6700 - it's 2005 not 2003. You're unlikely to get informed opinions without the facts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    buy the one that fits you better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    6700, ya