over researcher

transporting carbon bike (road) on roof mount rack - in sub freezing weather

Is there a problem with transporting your carbon framed (road) bike on top of the car in sub freezing weather?

Going to St. George, UT today, and it's below 20 degrees where I'm leaving from.

Thanks.

No, I guess it doesn't matter that it's a road bike. I just thought it was important because for MTB, I ride a 2006 Turner Flux, which is obviously not carbon.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i've never see anything happen specifically because of the cold, especially not to carbon. salt, dirt, moisture, etc are bigger issues than the cold itself.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    i've never see anything happen specifically because of the cold, especially not to carbon. salt, dirt, moisture, etc are bigger issues than the cold itself.
    No precipitation on the forecast for this weekend. Humidity is rather lacking in Utah also.

Thanks.

Tool
    Carbon is no more affected by cold than aluminum or steel. Ignore the temperature as far as your frame material goes...

...and yes, I've transported and rode my carbon bikes in temps well below 20.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I'm thinking the B2 and the F117 fly in wetter and colder weather longer than your bike will ever experience. Carbon has a very high temperature range tolerance. Exposed metal may corrode (chain, etc) but you frame will be fine.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Don't you know that carbon has to be stored in temperatures no less than 70 degrees and no more than 90?! Also carbon breaks if you look at it the wrong way.

All kidding aside your bike will be fine. Carbon isn't the fragile material that many on this forum would have you believe it is.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

over researcher
    I was more worried about the agents used to bond the carbon together. Thanks for the answers.