mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Trance vs. Anthem

Thereís a guy locally that has a 2017 Giant Trance 2 for sale for $1800. Itís got 20 miles on it. I was looking at getting a new 2018 Giant Anthem 2. My question is other then the longer travel on the Trance , which Iíll never take advantage of living in Florida, what are the differences as far as geometry and what would I benefit from going with the Anthem? The new bike is $1k more but Iím ok with that seeing as Iíll probably ride this bike for 5+ years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    If you will not use the added suspension I would go with the anthem. I believe it will be a little more efficient when pedaling, and if you buy it new the frame will be warrantied to you.

WillWorkForTrail
    Good advice on the warranty thing. I have a friend who has an Anthem and a Trance and rides in FL sometimes. He said unless he's specifically going somewhere to race he takes his Trace. And sometimes, depending on the race, he'll take the Trance even then. If you haven't ridden both bikes, maybe try to get a demo on them before you buy them, because that's the only way you'll really understand the differences in the two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    Thereís a guy locally that has a 2017 Giant Trance 2 for sale for $1800. Itís got 20 miles on it. I was looking at getting a new 2018 Giant Anthem 2. My question is other then the longer travel on the Trance , which Iíll never take advantage of living in Florida, what are the differences as far as geometry and what would I benefit from going with the Anthem? The new bike is $1k more but Iím ok with that seeing as Iíll probably ride this bike for 5+ years.
    There are plenty of technical trails here in Florida that can easily use that much travel. I ride an Evil Insurgent 150mm rear / 160mm front and love it here in Florida. I find the extra travel makes riding more fun.
    If you haven't been there, try Santos in Ocala, Alafia River state park and Carter Road near Lakeland, Markham Park and Virginia Key near Miami, or Graham swamp and Mala Compra near Palm Coast.

MTB B'dos
    OP, as said, 2 quite different bikes, would highly suggest you get a test ride on both of them to really give you a good idea of how they both feel compared to each other. Also as mentioned, having a warranty to me is a quite important thing, but saving $1k isn't anything to sneeze at either

Yeah, just like according to loads of people who visit here, they'd want their 7" bike on our very steep, rough, tech trails, but I guess some people's ideas of fun are different than others, as I ride those same trails on a full rigid and have a blast, definitely not as fast, but certainly enjoy it. Even riding FS, I prefer my shorter travel 105/130 bike to the 130/140 which let's you just monster truck everything and not really have to ride the bike yourself, I find no fun in just letting the suspension do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    There are plenty of technical trails here in Florida that can easily use that much travel. I ride an Evil Insurgent 150mm rear / 160mm front and love it here in Florida. I find the extra travel makes riding more fun.
    If you haven't been there, try Santos in Ocala, Alafia River state park and Carter Road near Lakeland, Markham Park and Virginia Key near Miami, or Graham swamp and Mala Compra near Palm Coast.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    Go with Anthem if you don't need that much travel, also warranty is applied only to original buyer only. Modern Anthems are very capable, so no problem if you go a little over your current capabilities

mtbr member
    I agree you should demo and get what you like best, but consider, if you have too much travel for the trail you want to ride, you can put in more air, or lock it out. If you don't have enough, there is nothing you can do.

and what a person can ride is 90% rider, there are very few trails I ride that I couldn't ride on my old rigid, but I wouldn't want to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    I regularly ride Alafis and Boyette. At 42 and self-employed with no health insurance I stay off of gator back and moon scape and Ridgeline. I never ride Santos or any other trail system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Should be noted that I am currently riding a 2009 specialized fsr Xc comp. whatever that thing has for travel is plenty.