Thread: Trail vandals

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Trail vandals

There is a 2 mile loop near my house that I have recently discovered. I've only attempted to ride it a few times but it is a bit too technical for me to complete at my skill level now.

Yesterday I was walking my dog there and I discovered that someone has placed several logs across the trail. Most of these would have been a non-issue, but a few were placed on some blind corners where they may catch a fast rider off guard.

The worst one was at the bottom of a ravine with a 12 to 15 foot drop that has a blind entrance around a quick corner. This wasn't just a log but a rather large tree with several branches that someone pushed over.

There was also a nice obstacle where a tree naturally fell and logs were placed and stacked up next to it to make a nice ramp to ride over. This was demolished as well.

I'm thinking someone doesn't want people riding there.

What should I do?

The White Jeff W
    Is it private property? Maybe the owner saw you and doesnt want you riding there.
    No moss...

mtbr member

Trail vandals

Unless it is private property, contact the land manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Thanks. I will see if I can find out who manages this property.

Edit:

From what I found the US Army Corps of Engineers manages this land. These trails aren't trails that they have officially built. My guess is that most of these trails are deer trails that hikers and mtn bikers have found and use. I'm guessing that some neighborhood kids were messing around and thought it would be funny to do this.

I went to the web site for this area and there doesn't seem to be any rules prohibiting biking or hiking on these paths so I think I'm good to ride on them. Before I looked I speculated I may not be allowed to be there, but now I feel I'm okay.

If I choose to ride this loop, I guess I will have to do a walk through first to make sure the trail is clear of obstacles.
    Last edited by p08757; 04-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Write a note to the vandal. "Anyone caught alternating a trail that results in bodily injury will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". Put it in a ziploc freezer bag and tack it to the tree(s) near the "damage".

Make sure you're not lying, e.g. don't sign it "US Department of Interior

Can't hurt.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

Trail vandals

It depends on where you are. Some land is off limits unless specified. Some land is okay unless specified.

Corps land can be a mixed bag, because in a lot of cases it may be owned by the corps but managed by someone else, like a state agency, and so both agencies have to be okay with bikes.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Trail vandals

Always smart to check a line before going all out. Happens all too often.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Always smart to check a line before going all out. Happens all too often.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    I agree! I have rode a trail and then the next day rode it again and there will be a rock or branch stuck in it some odd way that was not there the day before.
    WHEN IN DOUBT?!?! PEDAL OUT!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    not OK to sabotage any trail.

report to the land managers/army corps or whomever's land it is...and keep reporting it..over and over and over again.

some hikers think it's OK to do this as a way to dissuade cyclist from riding 'their' trails.

You see someone doing take a pic if you can.

There's a PhD in Oregon who just caught 30 days in jail for the same thing...and another PhD who spent time in jail from CA in the last couple years for assaulting MTB'rs.

it's not kids having 'fun'....it's aging mentally unstable lunatics who think they're in the right...

my .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Jonesin'
    You can hope its some dumb kid(s) thinking its fun. They will eventually get bored and quit. Fanatics never quit.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Putting up obstacles that could injure bikers is wrong. Period. No ifs or buts.

The Angry Singlespeeder: Listen All Y?all It?s a Sabotage | Mountain Bike Review | Page 2

What is shocking to read from the comments is that most cyclists themselves (including the d-bag article author) agree that people are justified in putting up those deadly obstacles in trails to teach "rogue cyclists" a lesson.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I have not checked the trail since I posted this as we have had lots of rain over the last week or so. I will keep an eye on things and see what happens. I'm really hoping this was a onetime thing.

I'm still not convinced that anyone is really allowed to be here in the first place, but all of my resources available to me don't say its prohibited. On the other hand there is nothing saying it is. Until I find out otherwise I will continue to ride these trails and be cautious.