Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail recommendations for weekend away xpost (Passion)

834 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cyclesmith 
#1 ·
I'm looking at putting together a little 4 day weekend of bike riding for myself, brother and friend. Planning on going about a 10 hours drive away from home in Windsor which is right on the border at Detroit. This means Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana or maybe as far as Iowa or Missouri.

I would like to go south to get to somewhat warmer weather but I want somewhere that is going to provide two good days of riding (I'm thinking of a 5-6 hour ride each day), with camping nearby and if possible a town incase things get too boring or for a dinner out.

I would say we we're all low end intermediate riders, above newbies but not experts by any means. We're looking for more xc riding as I don't think the other two would want to go bombing down a hill. (I might)

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Kansas City....

jakey said:
I'm looking at putting together a little 4 day weekend of bike riding for myself, brother and friend. Planning on going about a 10 hours drive away from home in Windsor which is right on the border at Detroit. This means Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana or maybe as far as Iowa or Missouri.

I would like to go south to get to somewhat warmer weather but I want somewhere that is going to provide two good days of riding (I'm thinking of a 5-6 hour ride each day), with camping nearby and if possible a town incase things get too boring or for a dinner out.

I would say we we're all low end intermediate riders, above newbies but not experts by any means. We're looking for more xc riding as I don't think the other two would want to go bombing down a hill. (I might)

Thanks for any help.
It's a little further than 10 hours, but there are 120+ miles of very nice trails. www.earthriders.com

#3 ·
jakey said:
How about Bald Eagle State forest in PA? It's huge and there seems to be plenty of trails.The singletrack trails I've ridden in the area ( during the w101 ) are rocky as hell so it's a plus if you like that kind of stuff. Hell there's even a dedicated guidebook available for the place - http://www.trailresources.com/b148.html You're nearby town is State College - can't comment on what it's like as I've never been there.

Otherwise I would recomend WVA as a destination but then you are really out in the boondocks! :)

Later

#5 ·
Yes, several....

jakey said:
12 hour drive is nothing too far.
Landahl Park in Blue Springs, Missouri is about 20 miles of really fantastic, rocky singletrack.

Blue River Park in Kansas City, Missouri is 16 miles of flowing, ripping singletrack with some rocks thrown in for good measure.

Smithville Lake (North of KC) is 9 miles of flowing singletrack.

Perry Lake State Park (West of KC) is 20 miles of lakeshore singletrack. Flowing but rocky trails.

Clinton Lake State Park (West of KC) is 32 miles of rocky singletrack.

Lawrence River Trails (sometimes called the Levee trails) are 8 miles of flowing, fast and definitely not technical singletrack.

Crowder State Park (North of KC) is 20 miles of flowing, ripping singletrack.

If you head to the trails section of the Earth Riders site, you find all of these trails. If you decide to head this way and you would like a guide, hit the "Ask the Experts" link on the site. Your email will go to several hundred local (Kansas City) riders who would be happy ot hook up and ride with you.

In addition, if you head through St. Louis on your way here, you can hook up for some more rocky, technical trails with the Gateway Off Road Cyclists.

Ken

#6 ·
Looking like KC might be it

Ken in KC said:
Landahl Park in Blue Springs, Missouri is about 20 miles of really fantastic, rocky singletrack.

Blue River Park in Kansas City, Missouri is 16 miles of flowing, ripping singletrack with some rocks thrown in for good measure.

Smithville Lake (North of KC) is 9 miles of flowing singletrack.

Perry Lake State Park (West of KC) is 20 miles of lakeshore singletrack. Flowing but rocky trails.

Clinton Lake State Park (West of KC) is 32 miles of rocky singletrack.

Lawrence River Trails (sometimes called the Levee trails) are 8 miles of flowing, fast and definitely not technical singletrack.

Crowder State Park (North of KC) is 20 miles of flowing, ripping singletrack.

If you head to the trails section of the Earth Riders site, you find all of these trails. If you decide to head this way and you would like a guide, hit the "Ask the Experts" link on the site. Your email will go to several hundred local (Kansas City) riders who would be happy ot hook up and ride with you.

In addition, if you head through St. Louis on your way here, you can hook up for some more rocky, technical trails with the Gateway Off Road Cyclists.

Ken
What is the weather like there in late April? Part of the trip is to seek warmer weather.

Thanks Ken

#7 ·
Well...

jakey said:
What is the weather like there in late April? Part of the trip is to seek warmer weather.

Thanks Ken
Right now it's about 19 degrees (C) and if you were to head down here starting today, the trails would be ripping.

Rain is always possible in the Midwest in Spring, but definitely no snow.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.