Thread: Trail markers

mtbr member
    May 2009

Trail markers

Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains how to read the trail markers mean? I just moved to a new area (Ringwood Manor in NJ) and the trails are much longer and go much deeper into the wilderness than I'm used to. So before I get my ass completely lost, I'd like to learn how to understand the markers I'm seeing on the trails. I Googled understanding trail markers and got some info That was useful, for instance I didn't know two marks indicates a change of direction with the top mark off to the left or right indicating the direction the trail goes but there has to be more to than that no?

TIA John.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A lot depends on who marked the trails.

Ours are marked with green, yellow, and red arrows representing tail difficulty. The arrows point in the direction of the trail. The only places we have 2 arrows is when a harder trail splits off of the main trail.

Everything is explained on our trailhead. If you you're in a new area and are afraid of getting lost, I'd get with a local group and get a tour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Ours are marked with green, yellow, and red arrows representing tail difficulty.
    I'm sorry, but this gave me a good, well needed laugh. I do however wish bars, pubs and clubs had these markers.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wikipedia has a decent page on trail blazes here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_blazing

The multiple marks of the same color on a tree you describe are old-school hiking trail markers and you usually won't run into those unless you are on a long hiking (like a thru-hiking) trail. Most trails that I've been on just stick with simple color coding and a single blaze (for each color) marking the trail, but there are all kinds of trail markings these days so you need to make sure you understand how the specific trails you are riding are marked.
    Also, if you're hitting an unfamiliar trail that takes you far into the wilderness, take a map and GPS.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLD
    I'm sorry, but this gave me a good, well needed laugh. I do however wish bars, pubs and clubs had these markers.

Good catch, and good idea too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I don't know what your problem is, they are usually self explanatory.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock

I don't know what your problem is, they are usually self explanatory.
    LOL I'm just illegitimate I guess.