Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tour De France

Kneel Before Your Master

Tour De France

I gotta admit every year I get more and more into watching the tour. I am not a road biker and really have no interest in it but the tour amazes me. Grab a beer and throw it on up on my 60" led and I'm good to go.

Anyone else excited for it even though you don't road bike? If you've never watched it I suggest watching a couple days of it. Its very relaxing. It starts in early July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    July 5th, in Leeds, UK, daily coverage on NBCSN.
    I ride both road and mountain, love watching the TdF, wish more cycling was on TV.

mtbr member

Tour De France

I ride single track, cross, and road, and still love the Tour. Been following Foome and Wiggo closely. Pretty much anything bike related, I'll watch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Love watching the tour, especially since they seem to have gotten a grip on the doping ... The Colombians are coming on strong this year. Quintana took the Tour of Italy and with a 2nd last year in the Tour De France, he's gonna be tough. 3 Colombians in the top 10 in Italy. It's gotta be one of the toughest tests of endurance in professional sports.
    Are you really sure about that?

The Original Suspect
    I used to really enjoy it when lance was cheating his way to all his wins. I've been disgusted in recent years by the doping scandals and what not.

I may have to give it another shot this year. I am still amazed at what is needed to complete such a race much less win it. It puts my rides in perspective.

mtbr member
    From Lemond days to current I still marvel @ the TDF and what's accomplished in team TT, individual TT's and the daily stages. There's been multiple tainted/doped riders over the many years and more to come I'll sadly state but it won't keep me from having interest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    From Lemond days to current I still marvel @ the TDF and what's accomplished in team TT, individual TT's and the daily stages. There's been multiple tainted/doped riders over the many years and more to come I'll sadly state but it won't keep me from having interest.
    Yup.

I was heavily into it back in the Lance days and wouldn't miss a day of coverage. I don't seek it out now but would definitely watch it if the opportunity arises.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I used to really enjoy it when lance was cheating his way to all his wins. I've been disgusted in recent years by the doping scandals and what not.

I may have to give it another shot this year. I am still amazed at what is needed to complete such a race much less win it. It puts my rides in perspective.
    I think they've dramatically reduced the doping over the last 4-5 years. It's probably as "clean" right now as it's ever been which is why there are so many different riders that have a real shot at it now. I think they've got the testing down now. I'm sure they all still take it as far as they can, but I suspect Contador was probably the last guy to win (2009) that got away with serious doping.
    Are you really sure about that?

Kneel Before Your Master
    Just the scenery is amazing. Although now my wife and I frequently have discussions about if we would join the peloton or not. lol

We had to google that word the first year we watched it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great Reading...

I, too, am a big fan of the Tour even though my road racing days are long over. For those really into it I highly recommend this book about the History of the Tour. From the early days with unsupported 500km stages on dirt/muddy roads to where we are today, it's incredible what those early racers went through. Most memorable for me is the 1903 race leader who had to find a farmer/blacksmith so the racer could weld his broken fork, only to be penalized because the farmer manned the bellows while the racer welded the repair. Unsupported indeed! This style of racing went on for many years before Henri finally allowed teams, then support, then shorter stages etc. It's a great read whether you like road racing or not. Those early days were more like endurance mountain biking than what the TdF is today, and some of the stories can only be found in this book.
    I have the Kindle version on my Smartphone ($3.99) and is good latenight reading.

The Story of the Tour De France: Carol McGann Bill Mcgann: 9781598581805: Amazon.com: Books

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like watching it, even if the race has been ruined by scandals> It is amazing what these guys are doing and I think it is one of the toughest things any athlete can do.

Besides the race I like watching the French countryside. It is an absolutely stunning country.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

Kneel Before Your Master
    Did anyone see the RV that got stuck at a finish line last year? It was too tall and got stuck under the finish line on one stage.

Tour De France-article_74eee7bcdb1462b7_1372518756_9j-4aaqsk.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I watch the Tour every year. Always something crazy
    going on, lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't ride road bikes, only MTB yet I love to watch the TdF. Just seeing so many bikes on TV is exciting. The commentating was good last year as it described a lot of nuances and strategies of cycling for the common viewer. Hope they continue to do this next year as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    I think they've dramatically reduced the doping over the last 4-5 years. It's probably as "clean" right now as it's ever been which is why there are so many different riders that have a real shot at it now. I think they've got the testing down now. I'm sure they all still take it as far as they can, but I suspect Contador was probably the last guy to win (2009) that got away with serious doping.
    I'd really be surprised if doping has been knocked back that much. These guys will always do it and find the right docs to implement it in a way that avoids detection.

Shoot, I'm convinced that amateurs are hopped up, particularly masters level fellows.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

dwt
    mtbr member

Tour De France

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'd really be surprised if doping has been knocked back that much. These guys will always do it and find the right docs to implement it in a way that avoids detection.

Shoot, I'm convinced that amateurs are hopped up, particularly masters level fellows.
    Some sort of performance enhancement historically had been pursued in one form or another by riders, since the beginning. Seriously, how can any human, even the genetically gifted pros, finish the race, let alone podium or win green or polka dot jerseys, on bread and water only?

I believe there is a tacit agreement among teams and racers plus the fans & spectators that as long as the playing field is level, whatever it takes and may the best man win. Blood doping, syringes, EPO injections pretty much repel the spectators as being over the top and gross. One knock against Armstrong and his teams, as well, was that they had access to dope, Drs. and paraphernalia not available to ALL the racers , so the playing field was not level. Finally, there is the issue of riders' health. The jury is still out as to long term effects of bicycle style doping. Will there be some equivalent on NFL concussion scandal down the line?

The peloton is still doping to some degree, make no mistake. As a spectator, all I want is an exciting and COMPETITIVE race on a level playing field. What turns me off is when one team so completely dominates the race that the final results are determined before the race is half over. BORING. Gotta wonder if something other than just a good team is at work when dominance is so lopsided. I'm talking to you Team Sky, aka UK Postal.

Hoping for an exciting race this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Love watching the tour, especially since they seem to have gotten a grip on the doping ...

sorry to laugh, but ha ha.........i actually wonder if any person could finish the race without the help of some drugs......still a spectecal to watch, i don't know how those guys find the will to get up some of those climbs - and then do do it a few days in a row......

dwt
    mtbr member

Tour De France

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    sorry to laugh, but ha ha.........i actually wonder if any person could finish the race without the help of some drugs......still a spectecal to watch, i don't know how those guys find the will to get up some of those climbs - and then do do it a few days in a row......
    Not to mention pulling off seemingly super human feats. How can a time trial stud like Froome also drop the best climbers in the world mountain stages? Akin to Nino Schurter winning a cross country race one day, then winning a DH the next day. Obviously, Mtb more specialized now than back in the day when Tomac could do just that. Road racing equally specialized pure climbers rarely time trial well and vice versa. One day classic racers win Tdf stages but don't win the race. Green jersey contenders don't win yellow, and vice versa. Once in a generation there's a Merckx. Even great all around strong tour riders who can't touch Merckx, such as Greg Lemond, Cadel Evans & Bernard Hinault, are rare. Post EPO era Tdf winners such as Indurain, Ullrich and of course, Armstrong had to cheat in order to climb well. Pantani had to cheat in order to do everything but climb.

Bottom line is super human achievements are suspect. Anyone who can finish the race is a talented pro beyond the conception of the average human and even a dominant Cat 1, mt bike racer. ( note Only 2 recent pros have made the Mtb to road transition successfully: Evans and Ryder hesjedal)
    To dominate the race all the way through is not normal, especially when so many riders are doping. You've got to wonder about Wiggins and Froome. AFAIC. Too good to be true. You can't beat a doped human if you are a clean human
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I'll watch it. May the best doper win... I don't care. It's still an impressive feat of human endurance. I would need drugs, they haven't invented yet, for me to finish.... the first week.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Seriously, how can any human, even the genetically gifted pros, finish the race, let alone podium or win green or polka dot jerseys, on bread and water only?
    I strongly suspect their nutrition is a little more diverse than bread and water. The distance over 3 weeks is achievable by many (but not all) cyclists. You'd be surprised at the number of people who do long trips. The pros would just have to do it a bit slower than they do currently.

The peloton is still doping to some degree, make no mistake. As a spectator, all I want is an exciting and COMPETITIVE race on a level playing field.
    Would it really upset the entertainment if speeds were down a few % points, but there was still close competition? Joe Q Public doesn't care whether the average speed for a stage was 42km/h or 44 km/h, or whether it took the riders 17 minutes versus 19 minutes for a climb. They just want to see them compete and struggle. It is a fallacy perpetrated by the dopers that the viewers need to see doped performances to be entertained.

Bottom line is super human achievements are suspect. Anyone who can finish the race is a talented pro beyond the conception of the average human and even a dominant Cat 1, mt bike racer.
    At current speeds yes. At some slightly slower speed the potential pool of people who would be capable of finishing would be much larger.

( note Only 2 recent pros have made the Mtb to road transition successfully: Evans and Ryder hesjedal)
    I suspect Fulgsang, Peraud, and maybe others I'm not remembering off the top of my head are pulling down enough euros per year in salary to consider their transitions pretty successful. Only a small group of riders win GTs. There are many other ways to be successful in pro cycling that are regarded as equally important to GTs to people who are year round enthusiasts.

You can't beat a doped human if you are a clean human
    Hopefully what you mean is that if 2 athletes are otherwise similar, the doped one will win in a contest of pure athletic output (since road racing outcomes are often produced by strategy and circumstance) but there are certainly going to be extreme cases in which one person's basic genetic capabilities are beyond even another person's doped output. I agree though that within the genre of pro cyclists where we can make an assumption that they are all genetically predisposed to strong output on the bike, that a doped rider has a huge advantage on a clean one.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I strongly suspect their nutrition is a little more diverse than bread and water. The distance over 3 weeks is achievable by many (but not all) cyclists. You'd be surprised at the number of people who do long trips. The pros would just have to do it a bit slower than they do currently.
    Bread and water is peloton speak for no P.E.D.'s.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Yes, I know. pan y agua if you really want to use the proper terminology of the peloton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Yes, I know. pan y agua if you really want to use the proper terminology of the peloton.
    that AZ fella is a funny guy alright.

mtbr member
    Big fan of professional road racing. While I ride a road bike I don't consider myself a roadie. For me, personally, watching a road race is much more exciting then watching mountain biking. It takes years to start to understand all the little things of the sport.

Two years ago I spent a week skiing in France with a guy who is a former pro rider and is now a trainer for one of the big name Euro teams. A2GR or something like that. His father raced the Tour a number of times. The stories he told over wine in a small French Alpine café were worth the price of the trip alone.

As much as I like watching road racing, I would much rather be mountain biking.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 06-11-2014 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    I think it's fun to watch when you have a feel for what they are doing quantitatively. Somewhere around 2k miles, 150k' climbing, close to 30 mph days, TSS at 300+, 2000 Watt sprints and 140 lbs riders averaging 350 Watts for long rides, etc. These numbers boggle the mind.

On the other hand if I watch it on TV, it all looks at the same time tame and bizarre, the commentators are absolute morons, the spectators are obnoxious and, at least to me, the entire sport is weird. The drugs, the team aspect where riders sacrifice themselves to support other team members, ridiculously low prize money and so on.

On top of that really no one in the US cares. I bet most Americans couldn't name a single pro racer aside from Armstrong. That's fine but the US is an important TV audience and this is one of the biggest annual sporting events but few are buying into it in the US.

If I were the promoter I'd shake up the apple cart and try to make the race more interesting via significant rule changes. Just my $0.02...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast