Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 65 of 65

Thread: Tour De France

  1. #51
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    Really?! I thought that the Justice Dept decided not to pursue that suit. Good for them.
    Different cases, from different branches of the Justice Department I think. One got shut down in the midst of what was deemed to be very dubious circumstances (rumors of lobbying influences behind the scenes from political connections that Armstrong used to hold some sway with) but the other started up not long after with the feds joining into a whistleblower suit initiated by Floyd Landis, of all people. Also, I had the dates wrong for the depositions. It was today (June 12 for the SCA case) and later this month for the fed case although this article below says those may be delayed. One potential reason for delay might be if Armstrong's team is finally putting forth some meaningful settlement offers. Those tens of millions might be gone sooner than expected.

    Lance Armstrong finally grilled under oath

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Different cases, from different branches of the Justice Department I think. One got shut down in the midst of what was deemed to be very dubious circumstances (rumors of lobbying influences behind the scenes from political connections that Armstrong used to hold some sway with) but the other started up not long after with the feds joining into a whistleblower suit initiated by Floyd Landis, of all people. Also, I had the dates wrong for the depositions. It was today (June 12 for the SCA case) and later this month for the fed case although this article below says those may be delayed. One potential reason for delay might be if Armstrong's team is finally putting forth some meaningful settlement offers. Those tens of millions might be gone sooner than expected.

    Lance Armstrong finally grilled under oath
    Just read the link. He's denying that he remembers admitting to a doctor that he took PED's when he was being treated for cancer. What a liar!

    I hope the Justice dept refuses to settle.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    Lance Armstrong also got away with it. He's lost 50% of his net worth but that leaves him with around 50 million.
    The legal fees, lawsuits and non stop expense he's racking up trying to defend his fortune will eat it up fast. Lance has a lot of enemies that are eager to help the vultures.
    Are you really sure about that?

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    208
    He deserves everything he gets. This isn't like Yan Ullrich cheating and then admitting it. Or like Jose Canseco who admitted it. This piece of garbage got caught over and over again and repeatedly attacked, threatened and sued EVERYONE who rightfully accused him. He makes Bill Clinton look like a little leaguer when it comes to lying.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    He deserves everything he gets. This isn't like Yan Ullrich cheating and then admitting it. Or like Jose Canseco who admitted it. This piece of garbage got caught over and over again and repeatedly attacked, threatened and sued EVERYONE who rightfully accused him. He makes Bill Clinton look like a little leaguer when it comes to lying.
    Lance is in that place where his life is being run by attorneys who see the writing on the wall, know his fortune is going to be whittled away to nothing and are simply advising him in a way to steer as much of that fortune into legal fees as they can. They will advise him repeatedly to do only what is legally necessary and, in the end, he's going to lose it anyway. His problems will begin to subside when he runs out of money and has little left that others value.
    Are you really sure about that?

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Let's say we were to select one of the GC favorites, maybe Nairo Quintana and took away his $10,000+ sponsored racing bike and replaced it with, a $3-4,000 racing road bike that was perfectly tuned and fit to him. Does anyone believe that his chances of winning would be seriously impacted by this equipment change if he had a few weeks to train on it and adjust? I'm not talking about his TT bike, but his main road bike. I don't think it would make any impact at all, but am curious what others think.

    Or, do the same thing with one of the world's best XC mountain bike racers or cyclocross racer. Take their $10,000+ bikes and replace them with a well tuned and set up bike of half value. How much real negative impact would that have on their performance if they were given enough time to train and adjust to the new ride?
    Are you really sure about that?

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borabora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Lance is in that place where his life is being run by attorneys who see the writing on the wall, know his fortune is going to be whittled away to nothing and are simply advising him in a way to steer as much of that fortune into legal fees as they can. They will advise him repeatedly to do only what is legally necessary and, in the end, he's going to lose it anyway. His problems will begin to subside when he runs out of money and has little left that others value.
    The thing is he still has a lot of money and he still has his freedom. There seems to be not too much disincentive to massive doping if you can come out of it rich and free. I can only assume that infamy is pretty bearable when you own the right type of real estate, toys, friends etc. The man committed massive fraud against his sponsors and any competitor who was not doping (if any). To me his crimes are very similar to those of a CEO siphoning off millions from the company's coffers for personal use. Those CEOs end up in jail when caught -- so should Armstrong. Sooner would be better.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    The thing is he still has a lot of money and he still has his freedom. There seems to be not too much disincentive to massive doping if you can come out of it rich and free. I can only assume that infamy is pretty bearable when you own the right type of real estate, toys, friends etc. The man committed massive fraud against his sponsors and any competitor who was not doping (if any). To me his crimes are very similar to those of a CEO siphoning off millions from the company's coffers for personal use. Those CEOs end up in jail when caught -- so should Armstrong. Sooner would be better.
    The line is getting longer every day to claw back money from Lance and soon, we'll see some civil lawsuits. It'll take some time, but eventually, he's going to have to pay up and he'll lose everything except maybe some exempt retirement savings. Once they get some sworn testimony, under oath, that opens the floodgates.

    He got away with it for a long time and yes, lived like a rock star for 15 years, but it's coming to an end. His biggest liability is he road for the USPS, a government agency, and that exposes him to more liability and criminal issues than if his sponsors were only privately owned companies.
    Are you really sure about that?

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    I rooted for him and stuck up for him all those years. To think how rich he got by destroying other people, especially people of lesser means, even when what they were saying was completely true, is disgusting. Even now he shows no remorse.
    Yup. I was one of the millions who never believed for a minute that he was doping.
    Despite his ruin, he continues to believe his own story even after losing most of his money and having to leave his estate.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    Let's say we were to select one of the GC favorites, maybe Nairo Quintana and took away his $10,000+ sponsored racing bike and replaced it with, a $3-4,000 racing road bike that was perfectly tuned and fit to him. Does anyone believe that his chances of winning would be seriously impacted by this equipment change if he had a few weeks to train on it and adjust? I'm not talking about his TT bike, but his main road bike. I don't think it would make any impact at all, but am curious what others think.

    Or, do the same thing with one of the world's best XC mountain bike racers or cyclocross racer. Take their $10,000+ bikes and replace them with a well tuned and set up bike of half value. How much real negative impact would that have on their performance if they were given enough time to train and adjust to the new ride?
    Analytic Cycling, Interactive Methods for Estimating Cycling Performance Parameters. Tom Compton

    Plug in the numbers and get back to us.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

    Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Been watching and loving the Tour since the Lemond Vs Fignon days - I've been hooked ever since, though disgusted with all the doping and pathological liars in recent years. Here's hoping the dark days of the Tour de Lance are behind us now.

    I heard a few weeks ago that Chris Froome is frustrated by the lack of consistent drug testing after he, Alberto Contador and Vincenzo Nibali were not tested while training in Tenerife ahead of the the Criterium du Dauphine. I guess if your good and clean with nothing to hide you'd want everyone to be consistently tested to know that you're on a level playing field.

    I've been living in the wrong hemisphere for the last decade to watch too much of it live on TV but this summer I'm travelling through Europe with my bike (mtb, wife and kid), we'll be meeting the Tour in the Alps... what better place to see my first bit of the action in the flesh!

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    wouldn't miss a day of coverage..
    i'm totally into it, so relaxing, like watching golf but golf sucks. The Criterium du Dauphine is on nbcsn now and i was disappointed the coverage was only an hour a day. TDF fills up the dvr and is good for weeks and weeks of entertainment

  13. #63
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,872
    ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!


    Another Lance thread!!!


    Please stop! The guy does not deserve all this wasted energy. he's a lying, cheating scumbag who needs to go away...

    As for the Tour, I have never understood the fascination, even growing up in the Eddy Merckx heyday in Belgium where I lived in the middle of the parades they had for him. I find bicycle racing on the road about as exciting as watching paint dry. Perhaps in the pre-dope days, if there were any, it might have been more meaningful, but I just get no buzz from watching them. The French countryside is beautiful, but I have ridden thru it plenty of times on my motorbikes over the years, and I would rather continue seeing it like that when I next get the chance...
    It's all Here. Now.

  14. #64
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,023

    Tour De France

    Deleted
    Last edited by dwt; 06-14-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  15. #65
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,023

    Tour De France

    Deleted
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. La Course by Le Tour De France
    By Enduramil in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM
  2. Le Tour de France
    By crewjones in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
  3. Tour de France
    By AllisonWunderland in forum Passion
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 05:14 AM
  4. Tour de France, what is that??
    By Logover in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
  5. can you guys help me get to the tour de france?
    By tobeey in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •