Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2011

Totally not a mountain bike "Allez"

I know this is for MT bikes, but I decided I want a pure bred road bike, because I quite frankly, am doing a lot of road riding. My MT bike works great dual purpose road or off and gets the job done surprisingly smooth. However I have been craving on how faster, lighter and more efficient a pure bred road bike would be, also lets not leave out the fact I am getting older(38 now) and better effieciency and lighter weight appeals to me.
    I've been researching high and low on what I should do and I'm sorry to disapoint, but I think I'm leaning toward road bikes for my main riding experiences. I just do a lot more road riding for fitness and transportation to the store, bank ect ect...why not get a pure road bike?

I love the trails...love it, but my budget doesn't allow to get a new MT bike and a new road bike. So for the coming summer I decided a road bike will be the better investment and I'll ride my Response when I want to go into the woods. I feel I am wiser now at picking out a bike and all the fitting stuff I can work on them pretty well and learned how to maintain them so I believe I'm ready for a serious make and model(pricy).

With that said I really want a Roubiax for the comfort, looks and easy long haul riding.commuting, but the price range on even the base model is taunting. I really lik eit though.

Second would be the Allez which is stiffer, nimbler, faster, harsher body geometry, but looks nice and absolutley in my price range. Anothe rpoint is that in my area al the shops are Specialized..seems that is all they sell here....I also like the looks of Specialized bikes.... Nothing but great reviews on the Allez...not a Tarmac, but a hell of a good substitute and honestly I'm not going to race anyways.

I thought hard on what I want the road bike for and this is it: commuting, fitness, a occasional group ride(I ride for the Multiple Scelorsis foundation) and some long distance stuff....not many centuries, but routine 50-60 milers....yes.

I dunno....the Allez fits all I wanna do, I can test ride it locally, looks awesome, def not a Wal-Mart ride, it's a serious machine, aluminum frame that will last and is strong, upgradeable, can race in local competitions, good group riding platform, fast, efficient, light weight....

I want a Robiax, but I don't have the cash....Allez seems like the perfect substitute and yes I want new....I want to be set up and professionally fit to the bike too...No ********ting or second guessing.... I'm ready to get into serious riding and I think an Allez would be the tool.

I feel if I can cruise 28 miles or more daily on my heavy ass Respones, the Allez would be like pedaling a feather., I'd love to feel the light weight and speed of one of those.

So...Allez?...who's got one?

banned
    Sep 2011
    A Crux looks appealing too....more money, but more rugged and terrain capable...also would be great because I could run it into early winter with light snow even, mud....hitting dirt road shoulders ect ect....

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    I picked one up on closeout back in 2006. I can't remember if I paid $600 or $800, but something in that range. Still going strong today with tons of road miles on it.

P1010001

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I have one and it's nice; I have many good miles on it, so recently procured an entry carbon level orbea orca (BLT).

mtbr member
    At the end of September I picked up a road bike. I got it for quick (1 hr or so) fitness rides around the nieghborhood when I did not have time for Mtn ride,for triathlon, and just as change up to the mtn bike.

I was not sure I wanted to drop $$$$$$$$$$ on new road bike I so I went used. I got a 2002 Trek 5200 from a local Mtn biker. I really like the bike and have put 360 miles on it since Oct 1. I also completed my first triathlon on it a couple weeks ago.

Buying used worked for me since I wanted nice bike (this one has carbon frame and Ultegra group), but did not want to drop big money. Fit is more of an issue on road bike than a mtn bike.

Here is my trek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Totally not a mountain bike "Allez"-img-20121010-00064.jpg  

Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Secteur Sport Disc. Just a modern good idea with lots of tire options, which suffices as roadie suspension adjustments. Looks like it means business, too. Could be more fun than 'just another, yawn, road bike'.

Why go back to rim brakes just because it's a road bike? And don't worry, you'll be way above warble speed.

MTBR Member

Old School Allez

1989 Allez Epic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Totally not a mountain bike "Allez"-dsc_0559.jpg  

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I've heard good stuff about the Allez from many folks. Its a solid bike. My roadie is the Roubaix and its been a lot of fun too. I test rode the Tarmac too but the geometry was too agressive for my aging carcas.
    Don't give up on getting a MTB though. Both riding diciplines are a blast. You know you want more than one bike. Its a sickness around here.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was in a similar situationlast year. I prefer the trails, but it's a pain to get to them, and only go as a group, so was only gettign there every 2 to 4 weeks, which was hardly enough riding to improve my abismal fitness level. And while I had an older hardtail for the road training, it wasn't very nice (particularly on group rides where the already fitter and faster mates were all on roadies as well, I'd see them at the start and show up 30 minutes after them at the end of the ride, so not very encouraging).

So I went out looking for a reasonable spec'd new roadie that was fairly cheap (only wanted a newbie) to cover road training, group rides and some recreational/charity events. Was looking at a few different brands, without looking at the Specalised (here they tend to be about 20 to 30% price premium on them, hence thinking they were out of the range), when my brother found a run out 2011 Allez Comp with compact 105 groupset that was$100 to $500 cheaper than the others I was looking at.

I actually could have gotten the Roubaix for a similar price at the time, but I wanted to keep the geomtry agressive (closer to my XC bike), plus the spec was slightly better on the Allez.

Couldn't be happier with it. It feels fast, rides very well and responsively. The geomitry of that year was actually the same as the Tarmac (not sure if that's still the case or not), so it's on the aggressive side, but isn't too bad (at least for me. I don't get any lower back pain after 4 to 5 hours in the saddle in it, but I often get it on my XC Full Suspension bike after only 60 minutes).

Only down side is rough surfaces (have a few 100m or so here and there on my usual loop) can be a bit nasty, but it's not too bad, and I'm not sure how much better the Roubaix would be on them, but conisdering the rest of the ride, I'm still happy.

It's definately made me more enthusiastic about road training/riding than I was, as I find it a lot of fun to ride (compared to the HT MTB I was using particularly!), though I still don't get on it as much as I want/need.

Plan is not to alter it and spend all the money on the MTB going forward, but saying that, I wouldn't mind swapping out the compact for a normal double now I've brought the fitness level up to a close to respectable level, so that's something to keep in mind with whichever bike you go for.

banned
    Sep 2011
    That's the thing between the Allez and an endurance Robiax or Secteur...the aggressive geometry. Never rode an aggressive stance before and wonder how that would be after a 40 mile run. I don't want a pinched neck or sore back. That got me thinking of an endurance bike, race bike cruising with comfortable(long haul) geometry and shock absorbing frame not to mention more predictable handling with a longer wheel base. An endurance bike seems the thing to get it seems. I don't plan on racing all out on a course or going wide open all the time.... I DO plan on doing a few centuries in my lifetime, community rides from town to town, routine commuting, and sprints for fitness.

I'm not 28 anymore, I'm 38 and while I feel good and neve rget any bad aches and pains, I don't want the stress position of a full on racing geometry....I don't see why I need to ride in an aggressive stance if I am not racing or getting top speed all the time. I'd rather sacrifice a little pedal power for long cruise comfort. I hear with the Robiax/Secteur, I wouldn't be sacrificing to much if at all, race bike speeds and nimbleness.

The geometry will be a big factor....Hate to lay down 2,000 and get sore as hell after a 40 mile ride then wish I went for the Robiax.

Seems some long test rides are in order....on both bikes. I feel that is the only way yo ucan tell what bike is exactly right. 2,000 dollars is a ton fo rme to spend right now, but I will because it's my health, mental state and transportation that will benefit from this investment....I'm not making a half assed choice. I want pro treatment and I'll go far and wide until I find it.

No "yah, you look ok on that medium frame ********" I want the frame, bars, everything that make me feel like I am molded to the bike.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    RollingAround,
    Stream of conciousness reply here....
    Test ride the hell out of various bikes. A roadie fit is different than MTB because you're spending more time in a static position vs. the moving around on the MTB. I also have 4 different MTBs as a reference. Every thing from a couple full squish rides to a single speed.
    I got lucky and the LBS let me take various SpecialEd bikes out for some time for test rides. I also tried Trek and Crack'nFails from other shops. The Roubaix just fit me. Its not an aggressive fit like other bike. If you can score that frame you may be better off long term and upgrade the components, depending on the groupo it comes with.
    I'm a tall 6'4" and 47. The lower back was a huge concern. The issue I've found (this is purely my opinion) is that proper streching is huge. I've learned that the static position of roadie riding is a different stress on the body. If I don't strech after a 3-4 hour ride, I'm not a happy person and walk like a gimp.
    Explore the standing riding position and other hand grip positions for your body geometry on any bike during test rides. Some tweaks can be made and minute changes can make a big difference. If you want to feel molded to the bike, see if the shop offers a fitting as an option or perk if you buy with them. Really.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    fit is more critical than "race" geometry vs "endurance". 5 years ago there was only one geometry. If you want to long ride the fit is critical. On the mtb you move so much that imperfections in fit at not critical. On the road bike fit trumps all others. The issue is that fit can change over time. When I got my my road bike this October I made some adjustment and thought I had it dialed in. Now after putting 350 miles on the bike I am thinking I need to tweak it again as I am looking for more power in the drops. I think I will need to move my seat forward to get more hip rotation. Back when I stared I wanted to move the seat back all the time.

So my point is what you want the bike to feel like will change as you put more miles on it. Best to get a frame that works well and allows you room to make adjustments to thinks like seat and stem to "dial in" as you put more miles down.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    It's weird that you'd be considering between a Roubaix and an Allez. One is an endurance geometry and the other a race. The Secteur is the aluminum Roubaix and the Allez is the aluminum Tarmac. You should ask what's more appealing to you, century rides or doing short 30 mile rides quickly and then go from there. Personally, I'd always get a cross bike over a road bike if I didn't have a cross bike in my garage. They do everything, but I'd go with a steel cross bike over an aluminum one unless I was planning to race with it.

mtbr member
    I have a Secteur. I love it.

It's exactly what your asking for...right between the Roubaix and Allez.

It may not be the fastest bike in a race, but it's comfortable. Like an aluminum sofa. With a tiny seat.

mtbr member
    I have a '11 Allez sport and it's a blast to ride. I enjoy going between my mountian bike and the road bike, I have to drive to get to any good mountian biking but I have some great road riding right out my front door.
    you have to grow old but you don't have to grow up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Com'on guys...

Totally not a mountain bike "Allez"-crying-roadie.jpg

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    damn straight--the allez has a triple but when I graduated to the Orca--double all the way. No wimpy triple here. Except on d Pivot--I had the double swapped for a triple..haha

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    I know this is for MT bikes, but I decided I want a pure bred road bike, because I quite frankly, am doing a lot of road riding. My MT bike works great dual purpose road or off and gets the job done surprisingly smooth. However I have been craving on how faster, lighter and more efficient a pure bred road bike would be, also lets not leave out the fact I am getting older(38 now) and better effieciency and lighter weight appeals to me.
    I've been researching high and low on what I should do and I'm sorry to disapoint, but I think I'm leaning toward road bikes for my main riding experiences. I just do a lot more road riding for fitness and transportation to the store, bank ect ect...why not get a pure road bike?

I love the trails...love it, but my budget doesn't allow to get a new MT bike and a new road bike. So for the coming summer I decided a road bike will be the better investment and I'll ride my Response when I want to go into the woods. I feel I am wiser now at picking out a bike and all the fitting stuff I can work on them pretty well and learned how to maintain them so I believe I'm ready for a serious make and model(pricy).

With that said I really want a Roubiax for the comfort, looks and easy long haul riding.commuting, but the price range on even the base model is taunting. I really lik eit though.

Second would be the Allez which is stiffer, nimbler, faster, harsher body geometry, but looks nice and absolutley in my price range. Anothe rpoint is that in my area al the shops are Specialized..seems that is all they sell here....I also like the looks of Specialized bikes.... Nothing but great reviews on the Allez...not a Tarmac, but a hell of a good substitute and honestly I'm not going to race anyways.

I thought hard on what I want the road bike for and this is it: commuting, fitness, a occasional group ride(I ride for the Multiple Scelorsis foundation) and some long distance stuff....not many centuries, but routine 50-60 milers....yes.

I dunno....the Allez fits all I wanna do, I can test ride it locally, looks awesome, def not a Wal-Mart ride, it's a serious machine, aluminum frame that will last and is strong, upgradeable, can race in local competitions, good group riding platform, fast, efficient, light weight....

I want a Robiax, but I don't have the cash....Allez seems like the perfect substitute and yes I want new....I want to be set up and professionally fit to the bike too...No ********ting or second guessing.... I'm ready to get into serious riding and I think an Allez would be the tool.

I feel if I can cruise 28 miles or more daily on my heavy ass Respones, the Allez would be like pedaling a feather., I'd love to feel the light weight and speed of one of those.

2013 Allez Elite, was recommended to me as a great entry bike into the sport. I love the bike and recommend it also.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Com'on guys...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crying roadie.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	746434
    So if I upgrade to the Secteur with disc brakes - they really ought to weep....

mtbr member
    Hey Dion, Roadies cry at anything.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Hey Dion, Roadies cry at anything.

banned
    Sep 2011
    One other thing I noticed is everything is a compact drivetrain in the Sectuer/Allez line. No standard doubles anymore? Perhaps just on the Tarmac and racing bikes. I see the Sport Sectuer can be had with a triple, but really needed?

On further research it looks like the compct drivetrain is perfect for myself. I'm not a big, legs of mucle rider, so possibly the compact gearing would give me more fun in rides and less fatigue....just guessing. Stiil a triple on a roadbike seems fetch....perhaps if yo uhave really long and steep hilly areas....then it would be nice...I think I'm tough enough to spin a double up our hills here without bad leg cramping.

PRETENDURO
    If you’ve got the bucks, get the Crux… with discs, of course!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Com'on guys...
    Meh, I went with triple on my roadie. I suck at climbing, have a crappy lower back and, when it comes down to it, don't care. I still pass many folks on the way down Diablo.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Meh, I went with triple on my roadie. I suck at climbing, have a crappy lower back and, when it comes down to it, don't care. I still pass many folks on the way down Diablo.
    Nothing to be ashamed of. I was just playing... roadie anti-triple fashion is silly to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast