Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Top Tube Bag for Concealed Firearm? Any recommendations?

I've recently run across a black bear cub and a moose while mtn biking here in Utah, like ran into them around a corner. I usually don't carry a gun while riding, but I've got a Fat Bike on order and winter riding is more isolated with more potential run ins with wildlife as snow pushes them down further into populated areas.

I'm looking for a top tube bag that can fit a gun that measures 7" L x 4.5" high x 1.26" wide (Glock 29 10mm). I'd also like one that has a clear pocket on top for my cell phone, like this but a little larger:

Most top tube bags are too short or too narrow to fit a pistol. Any suggestions?
    Maybe I'll just strap a holster to my headset and open carry it.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Two pieces of advice. First, find a top tube or under the top tube bag that large enough an mount a holster inside (like an uncle mikes) or build something similar. Second, the MTB site is not "gun-on-bike" friendly. Stand by for the wrath.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Two pieces of advice. First, find a top tube or under the top tube bag that large enough an mount a holster inside (like an uncle mikes) or build something similar. Second, the MTB site is not "gun-on-bike" friendly. Stand by for the wrath.
    1) I would use a pocket holster inside of the top tube bag.

2) I expect the liberal anti-gunners to attack my point of view on this site (I've seen it before), however, I will not forgo my own protection or my family's to make others "feel safer", I'd rather not become a trampled or half eaten human on the trail so some liberal can feel better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    if it is for animal protection you need it strapped to yourself, up front, not on the bike IMHO. better and safer access

mtbr member

Re: Top Tube Bag for Concealed Firearm? Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    if it is for animal protection you need it strapped to yourself, up front, not on the bike IMHO. better and safer access
    Correct I agree, I would look in the black hawk holsters those are great or raven concealment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott436 View Post
    Correct I agree, I would look in the black hawk holsters those are great or raven concealment.
    Fair enough, I guess riding in snow there is much less chance of injury from carrying on my person and falling/crashing compared to the rest of the year. I may just carry on my person as suggested. I carry on my person every day when not riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Animal protection? Call me a liberal if you'd like*, I own guns, and often ride solo into very remote regions. Never has fear guided my decision to carry a weapon. Most incidents are human interactions within 1/8 mile of the trailhead.
    Bear cubs do not maul people, they run to Mama. Black bears are afraid of people, unless they've been baited, and you're packing donuts. If you do shot a bear, be prepared to defend your actions to IFW, and levy a $$$ fine.
    You sir, are a big puzzy who is acting out of fear, not common sense, now get a fricking grip.
    Sorry you feel that way. My protection is not limited to animals, I carry everyday to protect myself from 2 legged people as well. I love animals and will not shoot one unless my life depends on it and I cannot get away.

You're right, bear cubs do not maul people, their mama's do that are always close by.

Haha, I don't even know what a puzzy is, but thank you for calling me sir.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You sir, are a big puzzy who is acting out of fear, not common sense, now get a fricking grip.
    Right on! You tell him: fat bikes are lame!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    Fair enough, I guess riding in snow there is much less chance of injury from carrying on my person and falling/crashing compared to the rest of the year. I may just carry on my person as suggested. I carry on my person every day when not riding.
    The reason being especially since you carry your familiar with drawing the weapon out of the holster that is on you. Drawing a weapon from some where else ie bag on a bike takes training to get use to so that your efficient and effective. You can PM for more info but I know a tones about this topic I deal with guns on a daily basis it's my job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott436 View Post
    The reason being especially since you carry your familiar with drawing the weapon out of the holster that is on you. Drawing a weapon from some where else ie bag on a bike takes training to get use to so that your efficient and effective. You can PM for more info but I know a tones about this topic I deal with guns on a daily basis it's my job.
    Great point. I always carry strong side IWB @ 3:30 and have muscle memory from years or practice at that location, could definitely be a problem to switch. Thanks.

mtbr member

Great point. I always carry strong side IWB @ 3:30 and have muscle memory from years or practice at that location, could definitely be a problem to switch. Thanks.
    Your welcome it's always better to be safe than sorry. I don't give care what anybody says I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Warrior's Society
    You afraid that the bear or moose is gonna their gun first....planning a showdown at high noon on the streets of Tombstone?

Last time I checked moose were not very good gunslingers.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 1 Week Ago at 02:52 PM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    The video will be a hit on YouTube.

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd use a waistband holster and wear the gun just beneath my Camelbak. Gun belt would probably be uncomfortable but I'd get used to it. Then I'd be tempted to carry extra mags too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wouldn't carry a gun (or any weapon) on the bike, unless you can be certain that you will never be less than an arms length away from the bike I'd recommend against it....

lets say you're riding down a trail, a large sized beasty pops up out of nowhere, you get startled and fall off the bike....bike rolls downhill with your weapon and there you are, holding your balls and running for dear life. a gun that's not on your person is useless!

always, always, always keep your gun on your person or leave it in the safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ??? WTF - Fat is where it's at.!
    You're following a trendy fad and not common sense.
    Get a grip!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    The safest fight is one that doesn't get to you. Generally animals avoid us, but on a bicycle we move quickly in contrast to the minor sound of the bike. A loud rear hub or other means to produce sound should help if you're encountering animals too often for your liking.

A note about on-person carrying, we tend to sweat a lot when pushing hard (even during winter), so I would advise against IWB carry or any other means under your clothing. Even if you take regular care of the piece to prevent corrosion, I'm a bit paranoid about moisture + freezing temperatures. In the army we used to keep firearms outside of warm tents to prevent condensation. Maybe it's a bit far-fetched but something you might want to consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post

A note about on-person carrying, we tend to sweat a lot when pushing hard (even during winter), so I would advise against IWB carry or any other means under your clothing. Even if you take regular care of the piece to prevent corrosion, I'm a bit paranoid about moisture + freezing temperatures. In the army we used to keep firearms outside of warm tents to prevent condensation. Maybe it's a bit far-fetched but something you might want to consider.
    agreed, that's why I use this guy....

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The safest fight is one that doesn't get to you. Generally animals avoid us, but on a bicycle we move quickly in contrast to the minor sound of the bike. A loud rear hub or other means to produce sound should help if you're encountering animals too often for your liking.

proper maintenance takes care of this problem

strip down wipe down clean re-lube re-oil reassemble will never have a problem with the elements. that or a giant freezer bag ziplock

Elitest thrill junkie
    Backcountry Awesome Strap 'nuff said.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Backcountry Awesome Strap 'nuff said.
    I about spit Coke when I read that! Fun thread, bwahahahaha!

HPG Kit bag is a great piece of gear.
    Two thoughts:
    1. a little .380 in the pocket will take care of any frisky 2 legged critters
    2. You're not going to be able to pack enough of anything in a waistband that will stop a moose. THAT will need a sling attached! Just sayin...

Okay 3, I'm in the camp of keeping it on your person. Being zipped in a tube bag, or backpack or otherwise just isn't accessible. In the extremely unlikely even you ever actually need it, you'll need it fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

+1 From the first sentence on, sound advice... especially the first sentence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    giant freezer bag ziplock
    Well that's one way you won't see me carrying anything I might need to access quickly.

mtbr member
    I think I remember reading a while ago on J.Paks LLC he had made a gas tank bag or something with a custom holster. It seemed pretty cool. Send him a email or any custom bag maker and they should be able make what you want.

Trail Prospector
    It would appear that my posts in this thread have all been removed without notification, or any infraction of forum guidelines.
    If you do not like my opinion, respond, but do not delete what was within guideline rules, that is called personal censorship.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast