Thread: Tool kit

mtbr member

Tool kit

Need to put together a tool kit to carry with me when I go riding. What do I need to get? New to the MTB world so bear with me lol

mtbr member
    Tube, patch kit, way to fill the tube, tire boot (couple squares cut from a Tyvek priority mail envelope), quick link or two, tire irons, zip ties can be useful, multi-tool with chain breaker or multi-tool and a chain breaker.

Some folks carry a spare hanger which is a good idea especially for longer rides. I broke mine last weekend but luckily I only had to walk out about 2 miles. That's about it for a basic kit that will fit in a saddle bag.

If you plan to carry a pack you can of course add more to the kit like first aid, clothing/rain gear, food, spare cable, spare chain or section of chain, other various bike parts, ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Tube (even if you ride tubeless), patch kit if you are not tubeless, a small chain tool (Park Mini Chain brute), a quick-link (partial to KMC Magic Links), tire lever (Pedros), CO2(s) + inflator (pump if you are tube guy), a zip tie, a tire boot (can just use a dollar bill), and some sort of basic multi-tool (no need for the kitchen sink here). I like: Buy Fix It Sticks bicycle multi tools

And to carry it all...www.backcountryreserach.com if you are not using a hydration pack.

For longer rides with a higher penalty for walk-outs, a spare derailleur hanger (remember...you can always just convert to a single speed trailside), possibly an extra cleat bolt. Really...the key is to maintain your bike and keep it up, you will notice issues before they strand you (and your riding group) on the side of the trail. I see folks often carrying WAY too much stuff. I have fixed a lot of bikes trailside and find that what I have listed will fix most of anything beyond the really bad ones that you will likely walk regardless.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Just don't use park tools. they're a bunch of biggots...
    count your blessings

mtbr member

Re: Tool kit

Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post
    Really?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Really?
    nope. Sarcasm.

Is This The Dark Side Of Park Tool Inc?
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post
    HAHAHA...Park Tools is going to hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member

Tube (even if you ride tubeless), patch kit if you are not tubeless, a small chain tool (Park Mini Chain brute), a quick-link (partial to KMC Magic Links), tire lever (Pedros), CO2(s) + inflator (pump if you are tube guy), a zip tie, a tire boot (can just use a dollar bill), and some sort of basic multi-tool (no need for the kitchen sink here). I like: Buy Fix It Sticks bicycle multi tools

And to carry it all...www.backcountryreserach.com if you are not using a hydration pack.

For longer rides with a higher penalty for walk-outs, a spare derailleur hanger (remember...you can always just convert to a single speed trailside), possibly an extra cleat bolt. Really...the key is to maintain your bike and keep it up, you will notice issues before they strand you (and your riding group) on the side of the trail. I see folks often carrying WAY too much stuff. I have fixed a lot of bikes trailside and find that what I have listed will fix most of anything beyond the really bad ones that you will likely walk regardless.
    Thanks for the shopping list and the helpful advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i was out for a ride with the wife today, and i decided i carry too much stuff

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Tube, patch kit, way to fill the tube, tire boot (couple squares cut from a Tyvek priority mail envelope), quick link or two, tire irons, zip ties can be useful, multi-tool with chain breaker or multi-tool and a chain breaker.

Some folks carry a spare hanger which is a good idea especially for longer rides. I broke mine last weekend but luckily I only had to walk out about 2 miles. That's about it for a basic kit that will fit in a saddle bag.

If you plan to carry a pack you can of course add more to the kit like first aid, clothing/rain gear, food, spare cable, spare chain or section of chain, other various bike parts, ect.
    The only other items I'd add to the list would be a knife (never leave without one), a small bic lighter, and a loud whistle (though you can source the top cap of an acorn if you know how to use it). On long rides in the Ozarks, I'll sometimes carry a small handgun because hillbillies... Jk, its to scare off black bear that get to close if I'm staying onernight whether intentional, or not. Also on weekend events I carry iodine tablets for water purification.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fragera View Post
    The only other items I'd add to the list would be a knife (never leave without one), a small bic lighter, and a loud whistle (though you can source the top cap of an acorn if you know how to use it). On long rides in the Ozarks, I'll sometimes carry a small handgun because hillbillies... Jk, its to scare off black bear that get to close if I'm staying onernight whether intentional, or not. Also on weekend events I carry iodine tablets for water purification.
    Again...depends a lot on where you ride...I ride in an urban area..no need for survival gear for me.

mtbr member
    Opps.

Token Hillbilly
    Again...depends a lot on where you ride...I ride in an urban area..no need for survival gear for me.
    I would agree, except for the small knife. That's a indispensable tool that should never be left at home.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Beer, ice, bottle opener.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member

Here is my setup.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Good advice here. I'd add:

Small container of chain lube. Sometimes halfway through a ride you'll realize you're completely dry and grinding your sh1t up

Derailleur cable

Mini led light (if you're ever caught out after dark and need to fix something)

Couple paper towels

Good call TiGeo on extra cleat bolt, that's going in my pack right now!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Good advice here. I'd add:

Small container of chain lube. Sometimes halfway through a ride you'll realize you're completely dry and grinding your sh1t up

Derailleur cable

Mini led light (if you're ever caught out after dark and need to fix something)
    Couple paper towels
    Ok...lube before you go....

> /dev/null 2&>1

Ok...lube before you go....
    I hear ya. I try to lube every other ride but on longer dusty rides it catches up with you. Also sometimes I don't get to it - squeezing in that after work ride before it's too dark. .. Every second counts.

I have it in a used visene bottle, it's 17g.