Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    A God Without A Name

Today's Wal-Mart Hilarity, It's all on purpose!

"We build our bikes with flat tires, loose handlebars and loose pedals, so no one rides them.... in the store" comanager Rob. Wal-Mart, 20th and wall, Ogden Utah.

I was in Wal-Mart last night with a couple of other volunteers from our local community bike shop, (one needed to buy some slime.) and decided to check handlebar tightness. on all their bikes. and about 70% of them did this. tight enough to not be noticed right away, but loose enough to get someone killed.

So I had a manager paged and showed him this...

his reply was a grumpy "I know" followed by the above, italicized statement. I honestly didn't even know about the LOOSENED PEDALS. but I had to confirm it. then asked him how people that bought these bikes were to know that these bikes had been intentionally miss-built. he told me he didn't care. he just didn't want people riding them in the store.

It never fails to surprise me. you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

I told him how insanely, legally liable they are for this. again I was looked at like a martian.

I then told him I'd be sending this photo to the local papers, as well as posting it in several places online.

again he didn't care.

People Of Wal-Mart.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I'm surprised he didn't banish you to the dollar store. Asst Mgr is an idiot for sure.

mtbr member
    They are toys, remember?

A God Without A Name
    Toys that, In this condition... could easily maim or kill a child.

Then he tried to put my Soma back on the rack.

mtbr member
    There is something seriously wrong with that guy. Don't let this one go.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

A God Without A Name
    It was just... It's crazy. really, the PEDALS?!

I'm posting this wherever I can. and tomorrow, I will be emailing my local papers and contacting his store manager, and further up the food chain if need be.

Wal-Mart bikes suck, that's fine. But this is dangerous and negligent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    its a shame. when you make fun of most people at walmart, youre making fun of people who are just trying to make ends meet. who doesnt want to shop at whole foods, if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    Well, geeze, don'tcha know you aren't supposed to let the kids put the lead paint toys in their mouth?! Sheesh, it was all perfectly safe till you had to let irresponsible hooligans mess up a good business model!
    Last edited by Bikemaya; 10-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    its a shame. when you make fun of most people at walmart, youre making fun of people who are just trying to make ends meet. who doesnt want to shop at whole foods, if you can afford it.
    Misconception. You can live below the poverty line and not shop at Walmart. They don't have any sort of monopoly on low prices, and in fact, their grocery prices blow. It is all marketing, and hype. People will pay too much for **** in their store because they are *under the impression* that all their prices are super low and the store is priced for poor people.

All wrong. No matter what you make, take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of cheaper grocery stores, and you don't need to waste money on cheap plastic **** from China while you buy food. Plenty of store outlets sell clothes just as cheap, better quality. And pretty much everything else can be ordered cheaper through online retailers with a minimal amount of price comparing.

Loves to suffer
    I actually saw one of their singlespeeds with the crankarms mounted in parallel, like on a handcycle for the disabled. My thread with pictures of this masterpiece is here: I knew Wal-Mart bikes were poorly assembled, but..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Your comparing Wal Mart to a bike shop, which is kind of immature.
    There are many reasons why the bikes aren't put together completely at Walmart. Partly is they don't want kids riding the bikes in the store and running into customers, I'm sure it's happened many many times. Another is if they straightened out the handlebars then it probably would not fit on the display stand. Everyone knows and has known that WalMart bikes need assembly, it's always been that way and always will be. Again, you are comparing it to a bike shop, there is you're mistake.
    OP, you seriously have no leg to stand on, absolutely none.

No Stranger to danger....
    What i wanna know is how do you sell a bike at $97 and still make a profit on it.
    I wonder how much it cost to make one in china or thailand and ship it over?
    On another note, anybody that buys a bike for under $100 bucks cant ask for too much, thats askin for trouble.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    They mark up roughly around 200-300 %.
    Walmart/kmart probably buys them for around 30-40 buks from the wholesaler. It's the only way a conglomerate can survive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I assembled bikes/powerwheels, etc at Toys r Us when I was in high school. We would purposely leave items loose on bikes, nothing too loose, but loose enough to move easily. It was done partly because a kid won't ride a bike around the store if he can't sit comfortably on it. We would also build them loose as a sales feature. Toy stores, big box retailers don't have the staff with a knowledge base that bike shops have. Believe it or not, a lot of people, new parents especially, do not know much about bikes. I could not even begin to tell you how many times I would see a parent put their kid on a bike that was the proper size, but because the seat was too low, or the bars were bent forward too much, they would walk away thinking the bike was not a good fit. A lot of people don't know that bikes, especially kids bikes are adjustable. I had to explain this many times to people. When the bike is built loose, a parent puts their kid on the bike, sees the parts move and can adjust the bike right there in the store accordingly, rather than just assume the bike is the wrong size and walk away. It is also not practical to leave tools around for bikes that are not quick-release equipped so people can adjust the bike to see if it fits. Not everyone can shop at bike shops or build their own bikes. Not everyone really cares about their bikes. Not everyone wants a kids bike that will last years. When I worked at Toys r us, I would sell many, many more bikes based on low price rather than quality. I don't fault people for shopping that way, it is simply a matter of personal preference. Not every kid needs a downhill bike, not every adult needs a commuter. When I was growing up, I had a schwinn predator, I would ride it a few block to the baseball field, jump off it while it was still speeding along, watch it crash in the dirt, or better yet, into a tree, then go play ball. Looking back I am glad my parents didn't spend hundreds of dollars on that bike. Walmart bikes have their place in the world, nothing wrong with them

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In general and as a matter of principle all consumers should boycott Walmart, they are a blight on humanity.

Your Best Friend
    Don't eat this bicycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Wal-Mart Hilarity, It's all on purpose!-dont-eat-.jpg  

'11 Opus Strat
    13 years ago my brother nearly died because Canadian Tire had a Recalled CCM Heat out on the floor that we unfortunately purchased with obviously not knowing the recall. Next summer he's on his way home from work and ends up in the Emerg with a slice from between his eyes up to the top of his head and back down around his ear, PLUS a large gaping hole on his cheek. The recall was basically because the forks were falling right out of the frame, this had happened to my bro. His head hit the rim which sliced him open but also saved his life, was less of an impact landing on bendable steel rather than firm asphalt... and the hole in his cheek was from the nut locking on the tire... A large out-of-court settlement still doesn't heal scars, I hope Wally mart gets what's coming to them.

usually cranky
    not surprising. walmart cant put a grill together right, you expect them to get bikes right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    I hope Wally mart gets what's coming to them.
    I hope not, because that means somebody else has been severly injured. But no matter what a person can or can't afford to buy, he or she deserves a safe product. Probably the sales persons and people who buy at Wallmart do not know the parts need tightening before riding.

AZ
    banned
    Has anyone taken the time to photograph and document these issues and forward them to the corporate offices in Ark?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Walmart managers are known to be IMPOSSIBLE to deal with...unless you're asking for a refund. LOL.
    Had 2 eye doctor's leases with them. Let's just say they are impossible to talk to on a normal level. It takes threatening legal action or citing contract breaches to get anywhere with them. they'd rather go that route than be cordial. It's truly unbelievable.
    They will put Coke machines right next to the Dr's entrance and make it impossible to even see the entrance. i knew that and had it written in my contract they couldn't put the machines within a certain distance of the entrance. Yup, a few months into things the Coke machines were almost blocking the entrance. Took them 2 WEEKS to move them. This is just one MINOR problem I encountered with them. I walked out one day and never returned. Took them 1.5 years to get another Dr in there.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 10-31-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You folks need to seriously boycott Walmart, they are one of the major reasons why America's economy is so weak. The crap bikes is just the tip of the iceberg.

Go to top documentary films.com and you can find a film about Walmart under the Economics file. Its all there and more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Misconception. You can live below the poverty line and not shop at Walmart. They don't have any sort of monopoly on low prices, and in fact, their grocery prices blow. It is all marketing, and hype. People will pay too much for **** in their store because they are *under the impression* that all their prices are super low and the store is priced for poor people.

All wrong. No matter what you make, take your business elsewhere. There are plenty of cheaper grocery stores, and you don't need to waste money on cheap plastic **** from China while you buy food. Plenty of store outlets sell clothes just as cheap, better quality. And pretty much everything else can be ordered cheaper through online retailers with a minimal amount of price comparing.
    yeah, i'm sure people go to walmart for the ambience.

ive only been in there about 5 times in the last ten years. im glad i dont have to go. but i know school teachers who buy supplies there, out of pocket, and a handy man who buys food. thats what i know. maybe you know people who like the interior decor, i dont know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    yeah, i'm sure people go to walmart for the ambience.

ive only been in there about 5 times in the last ten years. im glad i dont have to go. but i know school teachers who buy supplies there, out of pocket, and a handy man who buys food. thats what i know. maybe you know people who like the interior decor, i dont know.
    I know school teachers who buy stuff, out of pocket, from everywhere BUT walmart. I also know plenty of poor people who buy food from other grocery stores. I am one of them. I save a ton of money going to Winco instead of wally world. I save a ton of headache and spend the same amount going to a regular Stater Brothers. Because regular grocery stores have much deeper markdowns and better sales as well, many times I end up saving the most money at a regular grocery store if I find lots of good deals. I will give you some insight about shopping when poor; the shopping list is only a guideline or suggestion. You actually only buy what is on sale at a GOOD price, because you are trying to get the most food for your tight budget. There are compromises when you want to buy better stuff than $50 worth of ramen noodles, so you shop sales to get the most decent food you can. If you barrel through a store without looking at prices, there will be a few things in your cart you are paying a ridiculous amount for, and most of the rest you can find cheaper somewhere else or if you wait for a sale. They get people like me when I need something specific for a recipe, and have no choice if I don't want to run around town trying to save a few bucks. Walmart does the EXACT same thing, the biggest difference is they claim their prices are *always* low, so their sales are never very good. If you shop sales, you end up with a cart full of cheap junk food or prepackaged boxed **** from Walmart for the same price as a cart full of fresh butcher meat, gorgeous veggies, and other raw ingredients from a real store. It has happened to me too many times to count. And we are WONDERING why obesity is out of control?!

You see, Walmart will under price a few things that THEY take very little loss from (you know, chips and soda, which are handled by vendors who take the hit...) and give you shitty prices on everything else. Ever buy meat there? Good, don't. It all comes in frozen, processed off site (because they eliminated all butchers when they unionized a few years ago. True story!), and the prices are worse than stuff fresh from the butcher at a regular grocery store. It also always looks like ****... because, you know, it came in FROZEN. The 'sales' on it are also the worst sales I have ever seen on meat. They are more of an advertisement than a markdown.

I have also talked to many, many people who have worked for companies that supplied walmart. They HATED working with them. Walmart uses nasty tactics with small companies, using a bait and switch. They will quote a project for one price, and once the small company begins production, walmart will lower their offer. They know the small company is screwed and have to accept it because they can't float the extra product if the deal goes through.

When it comes to returns, walmart accepts ANYTHING. Step 1: Buy a vacuum from walmart, any brand you want, as long as it is roughly the same size as your old one. Step 2: stuff your grimy old one in the box from the new one you just brought home. Step 3: return box with your old vacuum to walmart. Throw a fit if the customer service person is one of the few who gives a **** and tells you they can't accept it. Get a manager involved, they will give you the refund. Step 4: old vacuum is sent back to company who makes vacuums, because THEY are the ones who have to pay for it. They cannot refuse anything from walmart, or they risk their contract and their very business itself.

How the hell could you own a business that is regularly screwed by walmart's policies and not hate them? How could you work for someone who has to deal with that ******** and not hate them? It is easy to stand on the side and give a pass to wally world just because YOU aren't negatively affected by what they do. But walk a mile, and you will hate them too.

Speaking of ambiance, that is why many people avoid the place. Kids running around wild? Screaming babies? Staff that is impossible to find, and when you do, they usually don't care? The huge size that makes it so you have to circle the store multiple times unless you are a regular who has the place memorized? The messes EVERYWHERE? These are all things tied into store policies. They don't kick out parents and their rowdy children, they understaff and demoralize their workers, and they make the place huge and spread departments all over in strategic ways so you are forced to go through the whole store. They do that so you are more likely to impulse buy something you didn't go there for.

You can be poor and still have standards. I find it insulting to say that poor people HAVE to put up with that walmart trash to survive. It just isn't true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'll continue my story started above.
    Eye Doctor Lease:
    They had a good Optical Dept manager(very rare). I got along with him great. After 3 months they moved him to another location and told me they would get a new one. 3 months later, no manager. No way I could tell their employees what to do. I talked to the District Optical manager and made this deal with him: Drop my rent for the total time there wasn't an optical manager, including after the time they get one. 9 total months later, an optical manager and she was barely adequate BUT she took my rent from me like the deal I worked out with the DM. DM comes in and hands me a letter from Walmart Corporate. Yup.....for back rent on the old rent scale. I reminded him of our deal and in his own words "We never had that discussion". I left that day and never returned. Gave them a bill for 1 dollar more than the "back rent" for painting and office improvements.
    Scum bags. PURE SCUM BAGS!!
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast