Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Walmart is what it is. And we pretty much all know it.

And yet, if they sell a kid a bike, and that kid rides that bike...

or even an adult...isn't that better than riding the couch?
    I don't know riding a couch looks fun.

I build my own.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A couple folks here (OP included) have said that managers do not want kids riding the bikes in the stores, so they do things to the bikes to prevent it. I don't doubt their observations and experiences, I just don't see them where I am. Hell, I AM THE ONE who objects to the riding!

Now, I have to qualify that -- a short test ride, to see if it fits/can fit, that everything works, that the person can handle it...no problem. But I have SEEN 'non-parents' allow their kids to just joyride the bikes through the store, over to groceries, and just LEAVE them when it's time to go. Excuse me, people, this isn't the boys & girls club, it's not a playground. One child, about 9, 2x the size of a bike he chose to joyride, slammed the bike down and broke a reflector because he was told to get off the bike. COLLEGE COEDS have tried to ride toddler bikes!

We've had to throw away a couple hundred dollars worth of hula-hoops ($5 each) because kids come over, grab them, play with them, step on them and bend them, and happily skip away.

Walmart is as big as it is largely because of how they handle "revenue out"; benefits suck, hours are never guaranteed, and each store suffers its own losses while passing along profits. Stores are 20% understaffed, and we have to accept the invective of the irate customer, even to the point of being cursed out.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    One could argue that Wal Mart is like every one else in that they chase cheap labour off shore which is true. The difference is that Wal Mart not only exploits its own staff and managers but exploits local governments who bend over backwards (god knows why) by building roads and infrastructure to the new stores and they even get tax incentives from local governments to build the stores.
    It is funny that you brought that up. In the next town over Lowe's finally got approved after years in the planning stage and many arguments yet Walmart went in without that much trouble if any at all.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    A couple folks here (OP included) have said that managers do not want kids riding the bikes in the stores, so they do things to the bikes to prevent it. I don't doubt their observations and experiences, I just don't see them where I am. Hell, I AM THE ONE who objects to the riding!

Now, I have to qualify that -- a short test ride, to see if it fits/can fit, that everything works, that the person can handle it...no problem. But I have SEEN 'non-parents' allow their kids to just joyride the bikes through the store, over to groceries, and just LEAVE them when it's time to go. Excuse me, people, this isn't the boys & girls club, it's not a playground. One child, about 9, 2x the size of a bike he chose to joyride, slammed the bike down and broke a reflector because he was told to get off the bike. COLLEGE COEDS have tried to ride toddler bikes!

We've had to throw away a couple hundred dollars worth of hula-hoops ($5 each) because kids come over, grab them, play with them, step on them and bend them, and happily skip away.

Walmart is as big as it is largely because of how they handle "revenue out"; benefits suck, hours are never guaranteed, and each store suffers its own losses while passing along profits. Stores are 20% understaffed, and we have to accept the invective of the irate customer, even to the point of being cursed out.
    Which is why I was really calm with the guy. I asked him to actually explain the logic of his statement, to which he shrugged.

I even told him I was going to be contacting various media with quotes and pictures of what he said.

he seemed totally uninterested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently bought a Trance X0 from a local bike shop and on the third ride the handlebars rotated on me, no pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Pretty much, it's how a sane person would look at it.
    I had a kmart bike when I was about 7-8, my olds weren't rich so kmart was my only option.
    It's how the passoin started, I practically lived on that bike. The funny thing is I never had a single issue with that bike, not one. So when people say it's unsafe or it will break, they are getting pretty desperate and will say the most ridiculous things for people not to shop there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

So if you know what Wal Mart is all about why put up with it?

Better that that kid gets his cheap bike from K-Mart or Sears or the local garage sale than Wal Mart.

There is nothing good about that company. If people can make an effort then maybe change can happen. Even if its just a few thousand mtn bikers from a web forum whom I assume are very much into the freedom of the trail and fresh air. Why not translate that joy of life into a much deserved boycott.

What has Wal Mart ever done or put back into society? The owners have amassed a fortune of $40 billion and they can't even provide employee benefits - where is the sense of outrage?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    It is funny that you brought that up. In the next town over Lowe's finally got approved after years in the planning stage and many arguments yet Walmart went in without that much trouble if any at all.
    It would be interesting to find out what your district also gave to Wal Mart, what kind of tax savings. A favourite ploy of Wal Mart is to promise local government a share in the profits and then it all depends on how tight the contract is, most local councils are made up of trusting benign local individuals who get blind sided by the Wal Mart corporate machine.

There is often a time lag built into the share program, anywhere from 5 years on and plus. Wal Mart says we'll share but we need the first 5 years to ourselves to ensure the store can stand on its own or some other nonsense. There are many cases where Wal Mart will abandon that store and build another one just on the other side of the said councils boundary line. Its really outrageous behaviour, there is much more going on than outsourcing to China and treating their staff like shite.

There are a few examples where towns have fought against Wal Mart moving in, tough battles but the townships prevailed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Pretty much, it's how a sane person would look at it.
    I had a kmart bike when I was about 7-8, my olds weren't rich so kmart was my only option.
    It's how the passoin started, I practically lived on that bike. The funny thing is I never had a single issue with that bike, not one. So when people say it's unsafe or it will break, they are getting pretty desperate and will say the most ridiculous things for people not to shop there.
    my first bike was a second hand three speed that I rode to death. I hear ya

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This thread has been derailed into a political battle, which is not cool. The thread originally was about Walmart bikes, not about the employers, not about the conditions, not about the who put what back into society. If you work at Walmart and aren't happy, you have a choice, find another job. There are worse companies out there, much worse. If you are going to continue with this nonsense, move the thread to the off camber section. I have no affiliation with Walmart whatsoever.

BTW, kmart/Walmat does put back into the community, research before making assumptions.
    Last edited by SV11; 11-03-2012 at 02:53 AM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    LOL... the OP pic of the bikes is classic.

I refuse to shop at wally world. So there.

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I spent some time at a Bay Area Walmart doing a remodel. This Walmart had an outside contractor come in and assemble the bikes. He had a small box truck with tools and a helper. The helper would carry out the box to the truck. The guy would assemble it and the helper would take the finished bike inside.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The real problem is that we are relatively smart people, and stupid people outnumber smart people by a large factor. Wal-mart moves into these places and sells their stuff, and people would rather buy something better or have more of something than do the right thing. It's selfish when you think about it. Walmart undercuts the local guys on major big items, so you think to yourself "wow, I can buy more stuff with the money I save!". The thing that really blows my mind is all the midwestern towns that have one (or more) walmarts and nothing resembling a supermarket. In the walmarts, you can't even find the stuff that you'd find in a supermarket in the SW, E, W and other non-midwest regions. You take what walmart sells, or you live without it. It's kind of a shock going in when you've been living in other places. For my job I have to travel to the midwest (large city!) every once and a while, but it's the same thing, nothing but the super-walmarts for groceries, and we get stuff in our supermarkets in ALASKA that you don't see in walmart, even though we don't see quite as much in AK as others.

This isn't meant to say that anyone from the midwest is "stupid", because those that know and are aware of what walmart does are obviously educated on this issue, but for whatever reason, the store is entrenched and the people that shop there will continue to do so. The few of us that choose not to shop there will not make any impact, as the stupid people that do greatly outnumber the ones that do not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Front Range, Colorado
    I used to deliver to all the Wal Marts from San Diego to L.A. which there are hundreds of them. And I would enter through the receiving area and pass the bike assembly area. OMG the **** I saw would blow you all away. I always wanted to whip out the cell and start snapping away but being on camera myself that may be frowned upon. I would be walking through at 5 00 a.m. and the personnel would be walking around like zombies. No matter what I would always say "good morning" and I would be lucky to get a half grunt back in return. And no matter how many times I would see the same people every week for months and years they were always in a fog and disgruntled.

Back to the bike assembly area, this cramped little area always had one employee. And numerous half assembled bikes he would be working on at once. Different types and models and I have no doubt that these "exceptional" employees would mismatch parts from different bikes. A very scary situation for the consumer, you not only have cheap ass bikes but you also have cheap ass bikes assembled wrong. By disgruntled zombie like people at 5:00 in the morning.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

GAME ON!
    flat tires would generally be enough of a hindrance to anyone attempting to ride the bikes. the rest of the loose parts are just negligent indifference.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Has anyone taken the time to photograph and document these issues and forward them to the corporate offices in Ark?
    I'm sure they would not be happy to know they have a store manager in cahoots with the local slip and fall liability lawyers. In fact they may quite gun shy about getting sued yet again for their shoddy and unethical business practices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am sorry to offend a few, but glad someone posted the couch-riding vids.

Thought pretty much everyone knew by now what Wal-mart is. The largest convenience store.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    wow dont know what to think,but i never have liked wal-mart

turtles make me hot
    I only go to Wal Mart for paper towels and cleaning supplies... I DO walk over and check out the bikes for a laugh from time to time...
    My ONLY problem with the bikes being poorly assembled whether on purpose or by an unskilled worker is this: What about the single mom who buys her kid a Wal Mart bike because she can afford it? It falls apart and even if the kid doesn't get hurt, it has to go back and get exchanged for another one... OR the kid just never rides it again. Most women don't wrench on bikes.
    Every Christmas, the company I work for does a huge toy drive. Many people bring bikes. They asked the carpenter to build them and he did a crappy job. I thought to myself, kids in poor neighborhoods are going to get these and they're going to break or not work the first day. Then what?
    Now, for the past nine years, I bring my bike tools, cables, zip ties, hardware, lubes and whatever else into work and make about 20 bikes as perfect as I can.
    While I'm doing these Christmas bikes, I think about Wal Mart bikes and wish I could do all of them as well.
    I like turtles

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    So what you're saying is, even though they are losing money on each bike they sell, they are making it up with volume?
    No, I am saying that the store I work at most likely loses money on the Walmart pricepoint bikes. I spend an equal amount of time building one of them (quite often more) as I do building a bike from a quality manufacterer.

Walmart is not paying the person building bikes as much as I get paid. That person is spending considerably less time per a bike than I do. They are encouraged to build as many bikes as possible in an hour vs making sure the bike is assembled properly and is safe to ride.

I put my name on every bike I build and can be held accountable for bikes that are built poorly. Every bike we sell gets a second (or third) look before going out the door. I don't beleive Walmart adheres to the same quality std.

So, while my store is selling these bikes at a zero to negative profit margin, Walmart is not investing as much labor expense into the bikes and can therefore eek out a small profit on each individual bike.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    No, I am saying that the store I work at most likely loses money on the Walmart pricepoint bikes. I spend an equal amount of time building one of them (quite often more) as I do building a bike from a quality manufacterer.

Walmart is not paying the person building bikes as much as I get paid. That person is spending considerably less time per a bike than I do. They are encouraged to build as many bikes as possible in an hour vs making sure the bike is assembled properly and is safe to ride.

I put my name on every bike I build and can be held accountable for bikes that are built poorly. Every bike we sell gets a second (or third) look before going out the door. I don't beleive Walmart adheres to the same quality std.

So, while my store is selling these bikes at a zero to negative profit margin, Walmart is not investing as much labor expense into the bikes and can therefore eek out a small profit on each individual bike.
    most large chain and corporate stores actually pay on a pay per piece. So the more bikes the outside contractor builds the more money he makes. And as far as the profit margin goes they don't make it on the bike but on the accessories and in walmarts case they make it on the other items the sell and just use the bikes and big items as a loss leader to get people in the store. They may make a little profit but not as much on all the little things they sell.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The real problem is that we are relatively smart people, and stupid people outnumber smart people by a large factor. Wal-mart moves into these places and sells their stuff, and people would rather buy something better or have more of something than do the right thing. It's selfish when you think about it. Walmart undercuts the local guys on major big items, so you think to yourself "wow, I can buy more stuff with the money I save!". The thing that really blows my mind is all the midwestern towns that have one (or more) walmarts and nothing resembling a supermarket. In the walmarts, you can't even find the stuff that you'd find in a supermarket in the SW, E, W and other non-midwest regions. You take what walmart sells, or you live without it. It's kind of a shock going in when you've been living in other places. For my job I have to travel to the midwest (large city!) every once and a while, but it's the same thing, nothing but the super-walmarts for groceries, and we get stuff in our supermarkets in ALASKA that you don't see in walmart, even though we don't see quite as much in AK as others.

This isn't meant to say that anyone from the midwest is "stupid", because those that know and are aware of what walmart does are obviously educated on this issue, but for whatever reason, the store is entrenched and the people that shop there will continue to do so. The few of us that choose not to shop there will not make any impact, as the stupid people that do greatly outnumber the ones that do not.
    Yup, what walmart shoppers fail to realize is that by 'saving' money, they are actively participating in the DESTRUCTION of their local economy making themselves poorer in the long run.

You people who shop at walmart are like

ahh ignorance
    Last edited by highdelll; 11-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=NYrr496;9840956]I only go to Wal Mart for paper towels and cleaning supplies... I DO walk over and check out the bikes for a laugh from time to time...
    My ONLY problem with the bikes being poorly assembled whether on purpose or by an unskilled worker is this: What about the single mom who buys her kid a Wal Mart bike because she can afford it? It falls apart and even if the kid doesn't get hurt, it has to go back and get exchanged for another one... OR the kid just never rides it again. Most women don't wrench on bikes.
    Every Christmas, the company I work for does a huge toy drive. Many people bring bikes. They asked the carpenter to build them and he did a crappy job. I thought to myself, kids in poor neighborhoods are going to get these and they're going to break or not work the first day. Then what?
    Now, for the past nine years, I bring my bike tools, cables, zip ties, hardware, lubes and whatever else into work and make about 20 bikes as perfect as I can.
    While I'm doing these Christmas bikes, I think about Wal Mart bikes and wish I could do all of them

Good job! .
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

Jayem. I couldn't agree with you or Highdell more.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast