Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 138
  1. #51
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    And I am doing something about the problem ...
    While you continue to buy products from companies that all play a variation of the same global market game.

    Potato-potato. Agree to disagree.

    Dion: bulls eye.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Dion: bulls eye.
    I was at the Evil Empire the other day looking at their higher priced MTB's out of curiosity. Let's spec a $250 WalGoose and an "entry level" bike made by The Big One (Specialized)...

    Cheap square taper, pot metal cranks, 8 sp. Altus, loose ball bearing hubs, etc. You may get a better seat post and name brand tires with The Big One, but the overall specs are very similar. Yet one is $250 and the other is $550. And in the end, it's all made and drop shipped from China, so where's the $300 come from? The LBS isn't making $300 off the bike - is it? I guess there are hundreds of costs of running such a company (like having a team, marketing, etc.) but I'm sure it is all very profitable. I'm not implying that Specialized is as rich and powerful as WalMart, but the end result and the bottom line is what draws people to buy a crap bike from WalMart, as opposed to the LBS.

    I truly believe that The Big One and others can definitely make a quality, new model $300 bike for consumers so they don't have to rely on WalEvil to purchase from. With proper marketing, consumers can be persuaded that's it's okay to have a rigid fork as opposed to a crap pogo in front and that you don't need 4000 gears to cruise along the bike path.

    It's a shame they they also have to resort to putting the same crap parts on their frames as WalMart does, the only difference, at that point, being brand name stickers on the frame.

  3. #53
    MTBR member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't banish you to the dollar store. Asst Mgr is an idiot for sure.
    I love the Dollar Store! I don't have to get all dressed up like I do for Walmart.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    The dollar store is pretty ritzy. Sometimes the employees ignore me if I'm not dressed like a homeless person. Hey, I can buy anything in the store if I wanted!

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    While you continue to buy products from companies that all play a variation of the same global market game.

    Potato-potato. Agree to disagree.

    Dion: bulls eye.
    why don't you put your money where your mouth is, check out the film and then come back to this thread.

    there seems to be a fair number of people on this site who care enough about the environment to use bikes instead of cars, not a big leap to imagine they care just as much about society in general.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snfoilhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    449

    On the topic of hypocricy, double-standard, etc.

    1. Let's say, for simplicity, that buying stuff from Walmart is bad (pick your reason).
    2. Let's say, further, that buying stuff from trekgiantpivotssantacruzspecialized (sorry!) is bad, because your reason from #1 happens to apply to your (and mine!) favorite bike company and someone just pointed it out and called you a hypocrite on mtbr.com

    That person is using the word hypocrite wrong.

    If you take 100 'actions' of some moral relevance (where you can assign good/bad, whether it's from whom you bought your bike, or how nice you were to your neighbor)

    20 good 80 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.
    5 good 95 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.
    1 good 99 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.

    Get it?

    Hypocrisy is the difference between actions and one's puffed up talk about actions.
    Someone who is actually trying to make even a small, incremental difference should be praised and encouraged, not **** on.

    (Unless they buy one handmade domestic bike, spend all the rest of their time at walmart, but use the bike to impress all the cute anti-corporate cuties, in which case they're a hypocrite).

    Continue.

  7. #57
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,952
    Nothing in their stores come from local or even American suppliers.
    Not true. There are plenty of items at Walmart made here. Books, magazines, rifles, shotguns, etc.

    We should be critical of popular bike manufacturers, stocking bikes with cheap, springy forks and pot metal drivetrains priced at the $400-600 price range. I know the mark-up is due to the LBS needing to make profit on such a bike, but some of the POS factory "entry level" bikes I see at the LBS make me raise an eyebrow. I view these cheap CrapRocks as "throw aways", which is sad.
    A $600 dollar bike is not a throw away bike. My last bike was around $600 and it had very decent parts. It also had the most technology I have ever owned on a mountain bike.

    And for the record I worked at Walmart for about 3 years. I've seen how they treat the workers because I was treated like that and I agree they need to change some things.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  8. #58
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Not true. There are plenty of items at Walmart made here. Books, magazines, rifles, shotguns, etc.


    The preponderance of items at WallyWorld are made off shore.


    A $600 dollar bike is not a throw away bike.
    Depends on who you ask.



    ....

  9. #59
    I'm SUCH a square....
    Reputation: bigpedaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    What i wanna know is how do you sell a bike at $97 and still make a profit on it.
    I wonder how much it cost to make one in china or thailand and ship it over?
    On another note, anybody that buys a bike for under $100 bucks cant ask for too much, thats askin for trouble.
    That $97 bike costs WM about $72. You do the math from there. And NO, they're...I can't insult turds by comparing them.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

  10. #60
    I'm SUCH a square....
    Reputation: bigpedaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    XD, I love the maroon that didn't notice that I AM THE ONE that turned those handlebars like that. then totally drank the Kool-Aid.

    And here's the part where I let you know I WAS a Bike builder for Wal-Mart for two years.

    I know the profit margins. I especially know how bad some of the builders are. once my manager realized he had an ACTUAL bike mechanic building bikes... I was tasked with checking the other builders work. daily.

    I was also the only one NOT expected to "Build" 20 bikes a day.

    I might have had to build their crap, but I didn't build it crappy.

    I loved the look on their faces when I ordered grease or a spoke tension gauge.

    particularly the spoke tension gauge. Or a proper chain breaker.

    Or basically any tool that could not also build a BBQ grill.
    "My" store has TWO actual mechs; we are the only ones who build. From time to time, the thickheads (you can ID them cuz they all wear MGR badges) want to farm out some of the building to the auto techs (if they screw up putting the bolt back in the oil pan, why have them build a bike? REALLY?), and DON'T get it when I tell them that the time it takes me to check what THEY build is as long as what it would take ME to build THE SAME BIKE, so they're not saving any time or money...they just look at me and say, "Set some aside for them to build." Sometimes I actually do, and let the process run its course. They haven't learned yet, but hey, I'm paid by the hour.

    Both of us have 10+ in with the Corporate Antichrist, doing this job. I don't get pulled for the grunt work too much anymore, I FIND things to stay busy with. Being the guy who can figure sh** out better than anyone else earns you a lot of respect from people who need directions to change a light bulb. (I'm NOT kidding!)

    Seriously, folks, find that video; what will shock you is that what you see there, with Lee Scott as CEO, is "the good old days". It's worse now, exponentially.

    As far as the clown who wants the bikes built like that to keep kids from riding them, HE'S probably the reason we can't have & do things we used to! My store is 6 years old now, we were given bolt-in ceiling hooks for the bikes at grand opening, and now we can't hang bikes in the ceiling any more. We're also not allowed to have ANY sort of grinder (we HAD a portable, my old store mgr let me take it home for $5 when we were told it wasn't allowed any more). That practice would result in ZERO bike sales at my store, because the prima donnas we deal with don't realize seats raise and lower! We HAVE to build them to 'the best they can get' in order to SELL them. It's a real SMDH time when a saggy-pantsed ghetto thug won't buy a $139 MTB BSO because it's got a cracked reflector, or will return one FOR a cracked reflector.

    We get returns with the STATED REASON: "DON'T NEED IT NO MORE."
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

  11. #61
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,532
    One of my best friends works at Walfart in Texas.

    1. the guys that put grills together, some appliances also put bikes together. thats all they do they're called "assemblers"
    2. co managers only care if kids ride the bikes or skateboards in the store. The OP was right.
    3. management also cares less about the welfare of the employee. example: when they had that shooter at Ft Hood and the traffic was snarled due to police my friend was written up tardy anyways
    for being late.
    4. employees and managers do get bonuses each quarter if the store cuts a nice profit. employee bonuses suck, managers make the real money
    5. yes, beware that not everything is discounted. target has better prices.
    6. not a obama fan nor a romney fan but don't believe that big business helps create jobs. Walfart
    only hires people because people quit or get fired there every day. here's another:
    at my job (owned by giant Time-Warner) one of our staff is leaving tomorrow for another job. I asked my boss who we are going to replace her with. he said niobody, we're gonna to have to buckle down and distribute her work. Great! Chalk up another for the big business creates jobs theorists.

  12. #62
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19,589
    Walfart isn't the only box store that treats its employees poorly. I've been there done that. I worked for ***** when they bought Galyans (who I worked for) it took about a week for me to quit. Galyans paid me well and gave me benefits. ***** cut me to 4hrs/wk to force me to quit because I was expensive. Galyans hired me because of my outdoor experience and skills so I could share some of that with customers. ***** wanted min wage shelf stockers.

    I also worked for EMS in Pittsburgh shortly before that store got closed. Management treated me well at the local level but it was apparent for awhile that corporate was just waiting for our lease to expire so they could close the doors and get rid of us. Twas sad.

    It seems to be more a rule now than the exception. Big biz doesn't value their employees because they can always find someone to do the job for less money. Some small biz can be that way, too. My wife felt undervalued at her last job (only a handful of employees). Her boss would say he valued her and then do something that showed he did not value her as much as he said. So far the new place (which is a much larger business) values her much more and gives her more control than she used to have.

    What's my point? Not to be surprised that a company treats its employees like trash. You can see in their faces usually how they are treated. And it reflects in how they treat customers and coworkers.

  13. #63
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    1. Let's say, for simplicity, that buying stuff from Walmart is bad (pick your reason).
    2. Let's say, further, that buying stuff from trekgiantpivotssantacruzspecialized (sorry!) is bad, because your reason from #1 happens to apply to your (and mine!) favorite bike company and someone just pointed it out and called you a hypocrite on mtbr.com

    That person is using the word hypocrite wrong.

    If you take 100 'actions' of some moral relevance (where you can assign good/bad, whether it's from whom you bought your bike, or how nice you were to your neighbor)

    20 good 80 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.
    5 good 95 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.
    1 good 99 bad is better than 0 good 100 bad.

    Get it?

    Hypocrisy is the difference between actions and one's puffed up talk about actions.
    Someone who is actually trying to make even a small, incremental difference should be praised and encouraged, not **** on.

    (Unless they buy one handmade domestic bike, spend all the rest of their time at walmart, but use the bike to impress all the cute anti-corporate cuties, in which case they're a hypocrite).

    Continue.
    ''Get it'' LOL, No, not even remotely get it , what are you trying to say here foilhat?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  14. #64
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    ...
    What's my point? Not to be surprised that a company treats its employees like trash. You can see in their faces usually how they are treated. And it reflects in how they treat customers and coworkers.
    Partial quote for emphasis. I strongly agree.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheKevman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    75
    Walmart's business model>yours.
    LIVESTRONG

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    16
    You mean to tell me that Walmart doesn't care about people???

  17. #67
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ''Get it'' LOL, No, not even remotely get it , what are you trying to say here foilhat?
    My sentiments.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  18. #68
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    why don't you put your money where your mouth is, check out the film and then come back to this thread.

    there seems to be a fair number of people on this site who care enough about the environment to use bikes instead of cars, not a big leap to imagine they care just as much about society in general.
    "Cuz I just don't care enough about the environment or society in general. 'Sides, I'm fresh out of foil.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  19. #69
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    580
    He doesn't want people riding the bikes in the store? So, you're just supposed to take the bike home without riding it?
    Nathan

  20. #70
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,952
    4. employees and managers do get bonuses each quarter if the store cuts a nice profit. employee bonuses suck, managers make the real money
    Walmart recently took away the bonuses for employees.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  21. #71
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Walfart isn't the only box store that treats its employees poorly. I've been there done that. I worked for ***** when they bought Galyans (who I worked for) it took about a week for me to quit. Galyans paid me well and gave me benefits. ***** cut me to 4hrs/wk to force me to quit because I was expensive. Galyans hired me because of my outdoor experience and skills so I could share some of that with customers. ***** wanted min wage shelf stockers.

    I also worked for EMS in Pittsburgh shortly before that store got closed. Management treated me well at the local level but it was apparent for awhile that corporate was just waiting for our lease to expire so they could close the doors and get rid of us. Twas sad.

    It seems to be more a rule now than the exception. Big biz doesn't value their employees because they can always find someone to do the job for less money. Some small biz can be that way, too. My wife felt undervalued at her last job (only a handful of employees). Her boss would say he valued her and then do something that showed he did not value her as much as he said. So far the new place (which is a much larger business) values her much more and gives her more control than she used to have.

    What's my point? Not to be surprised that a company treats its employees like trash. You can see in their faces usually how they are treated. And it reflects in how they treat customers and coworkers.
    Well you just describe most corporations in North America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Walmart recently took away the bonuses for employees.
    So has a lot of other corporations. Walmart is no different from them.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Good to see some healthy discussion on Wal Mart. The only positive comment ever mentioned are their cheap prices and even then it may not be the case. Lots of negative comments, tons of them.

    Pretty safe to say that China is the assembly plant for the US and Europe. Just about everything is made there, from your Apple I products to Dell computers to bike frames and to most likely 50% of the components in your average Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Impossible to escape buying something that is not made in China.

    One could argue that Wal Mart is like every one else in that they chase cheap labour off shore which is true. The difference is that Wal Mart not only exploits its own staff and managers but exploits local governments who bend over backwards (god knows why) by building roads and infrastructure to the new stores and they even get tax incentives from local governments to build the stores.

    Furthermore when a Wal Mart store goes in it kills all competing local businesses in the area. 99% of their products are sourced off shore so it also kills any local manufacturing and local supply chains. And then people who get jobs at Wal Mart can't even afford to pay their own health insurance and thus further drain public finances. Meanwhile Wal Mart is a private company, owned by a family of 5 worth about $40 billion.

    As stated previously in this thread they are as un-American as they come and it would be great to see a movement to boycott their stores. My guess is that 80% of the people who work there would love to work somewhere else if possible anyways.

    There are alot of ills in society and impossible to tackle them all. Wal Mart is one of the worst and is as good a place to start as any other.

  23. #73
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19,589
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Well you just describe most corporations in North America.
    More or less. If you want to support companies who do better you will have to look hard

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    448
    Walmart is what it is. And we pretty much all know it.

    And yet, if they sell a kid a bike, and that kid rides that bike...

    or even an adult...isn't that better than riding the couch?

  25. #75
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Not if it kills them.

  26. #76
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Walmart is what it is. And we pretty much all know it.

    And yet, if they sell a kid a bike, and that kid rides that bike...

    or even an adult...isn't that better than riding the couch?
    I don't know riding a couch looks fun.

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m_EX0AnSgQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  27. #77
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_x1JHbmqasY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  28. #78
    I'm SUCH a square....
    Reputation: bigpedaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,950
    A couple folks here (OP included) have said that managers do not want kids riding the bikes in the stores, so they do things to the bikes to prevent it. I don't doubt their observations and experiences, I just don't see them where I am. Hell, I AM THE ONE who objects to the riding!

    Now, I have to qualify that -- a short test ride, to see if it fits/can fit, that everything works, that the person can handle it...no problem. But I have SEEN 'non-parents' allow their kids to just joyride the bikes through the store, over to groceries, and just LEAVE them when it's time to go. Excuse me, people, this isn't the boys & girls club, it's not a playground. One child, about 9, 2x the size of a bike he chose to joyride, slammed the bike down and broke a reflector because he was told to get off the bike. COLLEGE COEDS have tried to ride toddler bikes!

    We've had to throw away a couple hundred dollars worth of hula-hoops ($5 each) because kids come over, grab them, play with them, step on them and bend them, and happily skip away.

    Walmart is as big as it is largely because of how they handle "revenue out"; benefits suck, hours are never guaranteed, and each store suffers its own losses while passing along profits. Stores are 20% understaffed, and we have to accept the invective of the irate customer, even to the point of being cursed out.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

  29. #79
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,952
    One could argue that Wal Mart is like every one else in that they chase cheap labour off shore which is true. The difference is that Wal Mart not only exploits its own staff and managers but exploits local governments who bend over backwards (god knows why) by building roads and infrastructure to the new stores and they even get tax incentives from local governments to build the stores.
    It is funny that you brought that up. In the next town over Lowe's finally got approved after years in the planning stage and many arguments yet Walmart went in without that much trouble if any at all.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  30. #80
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    A couple folks here (OP included) have said that managers do not want kids riding the bikes in the stores, so they do things to the bikes to prevent it. I don't doubt their observations and experiences, I just don't see them where I am. Hell, I AM THE ONE who objects to the riding!

    Now, I have to qualify that -- a short test ride, to see if it fits/can fit, that everything works, that the person can handle it...no problem. But I have SEEN 'non-parents' allow their kids to just joyride the bikes through the store, over to groceries, and just LEAVE them when it's time to go. Excuse me, people, this isn't the boys & girls club, it's not a playground. One child, about 9, 2x the size of a bike he chose to joyride, slammed the bike down and broke a reflector because he was told to get off the bike. COLLEGE COEDS have tried to ride toddler bikes!

    We've had to throw away a couple hundred dollars worth of hula-hoops ($5 each) because kids come over, grab them, play with them, step on them and bend them, and happily skip away.

    Walmart is as big as it is largely because of how they handle "revenue out"; benefits suck, hours are never guaranteed, and each store suffers its own losses while passing along profits. Stores are 20% understaffed, and we have to accept the invective of the irate customer, even to the point of being cursed out.
    Which is why I was really calm with the guy. I asked him to actually explain the logic of his statement, to which he shrugged.

    I even told him I was going to be contacting various media with quotes and pictures of what he said.

    he seemed totally uninterested.

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    84
    I recently bought a Trance X0 from a local bike shop and on the third ride the handlebars rotated on me, no pleased with them.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Walmart is what it is. And we pretty much all know it.

    And yet, if they sell a kid a bike, and that kid rides that bike...

    or even an adult...isn't that better than riding the couch?
    Pretty much, it's how a sane person would look at it.
    I had a kmart bike when I was about 7-8, my olds weren't rich so kmart was my only option.
    It's how the passoin started, I practically lived on that bike. The funny thing is I never had a single issue with that bike, not one. So when people say it's unsafe or it will break, they are getting pretty desperate and will say the most ridiculous things for people not to shop there.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    Walmart is what it is. And we pretty much all know it.

    And yet, if they sell a kid a bike, and that kid rides that bike...

    or even an adult...isn't that better than riding the couch?
    So if you know what Wal Mart is all about why put up with it?

    Better that that kid gets his cheap bike from K-Mart or Sears or the local garage sale than Wal Mart.

    There is nothing good about that company. If people can make an effort then maybe change can happen. Even if its just a few thousand mtn bikers from a web forum whom I assume are very much into the freedom of the trail and fresh air. Why not translate that joy of life into a much deserved boycott.

    What has Wal Mart ever done or put back into society? The owners have amassed a fortune of $40 billion and they can't even provide employee benefits - where is the sense of outrage?

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    It is funny that you brought that up. In the next town over Lowe's finally got approved after years in the planning stage and many arguments yet Walmart went in without that much trouble if any at all.
    It would be interesting to find out what your district also gave to Wal Mart, what kind of tax savings. A favourite ploy of Wal Mart is to promise local government a share in the profits and then it all depends on how tight the contract is, most local councils are made up of trusting benign local individuals who get blind sided by the Wal Mart corporate machine.

    There is often a time lag built into the share program, anywhere from 5 years on and plus. Wal Mart says we'll share but we need the first 5 years to ourselves to ensure the store can stand on its own or some other nonsense. There are many cases where Wal Mart will abandon that store and build another one just on the other side of the said councils boundary line. Its really outrageous behaviour, there is much more going on than outsourcing to China and treating their staff like shite.

    There are a few examples where towns have fought against Wal Mart moving in, tough battles but the townships prevailed.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Pretty much, it's how a sane person would look at it.
    I had a kmart bike when I was about 7-8, my olds weren't rich so kmart was my only option.
    It's how the passoin started, I practically lived on that bike. The funny thing is I never had a single issue with that bike, not one. So when people say it's unsafe or it will break, they are getting pretty desperate and will say the most ridiculous things for people not to shop there.
    my first bike was a second hand three speed that I rode to death. I hear ya

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    543
    This thread has been derailed into a political battle, which is not cool. The thread originally was about Walmart bikes, not about the employers, not about the conditions, not about the who put what back into society. If you work at Walmart and aren't happy, you have a choice, find another job. There are worse companies out there, much worse. If you are going to continue with this nonsense, move the thread to the off camber section. I have no affiliation with Walmart whatsoever.

    BTW, kmart/Walmat does put back into the community, research before making assumptions.
    Last edited by SV11; 11-03-2012 at 02:53 AM.

  37. #87
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    LOL... the OP pic of the bikes is classic.

    I refuse to shop at wally world. So there.

    -S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-03-2012 at 07:11 AM.

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Restricted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    119
    I spent some time at a Bay Area Walmart doing a remodel. This Walmart had an outside contractor come in and assemble the bikes. He had a small box truck with tools and a helper. The helper would carry out the box to the truck. The guy would assemble it and the helper would take the finished bike inside.

  39. #89
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    25,781
    The real problem is that we are relatively smart people, and stupid people outnumber smart people by a large factor. Wal-mart moves into these places and sells their stuff, and people would rather buy something better or have more of something than do the right thing. It's selfish when you think about it. Walmart undercuts the local guys on major big items, so you think to yourself "wow, I can buy more stuff with the money I save!". The thing that really blows my mind is all the midwestern towns that have one (or more) walmarts and nothing resembling a supermarket. In the walmarts, you can't even find the stuff that you'd find in a supermarket in the SW, E, W and other non-midwest regions. You take what walmart sells, or you live without it. It's kind of a shock going in when you've been living in other places. For my job I have to travel to the midwest (large city!) every once and a while, but it's the same thing, nothing but the super-walmarts for groceries, and we get stuff in our supermarkets in ALASKA that you don't see in walmart, even though we don't see quite as much in AK as others.

    This isn't meant to say that anyone from the midwest is "stupid", because those that know and are aware of what walmart does are obviously educated on this issue, but for whatever reason, the store is entrenched and the people that shop there will continue to do so. The few of us that choose not to shop there will not make any impact, as the stupid people that do greatly outnumber the ones that do not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  40. #90
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    28,600
    I used to deliver to all the Wal Marts from San Diego to L.A. which there are hundreds of them. And I would enter through the receiving area and pass the bike assembly area. OMG the **** I saw would blow you all away. I always wanted to whip out the cell and start snapping away but being on camera myself that may be frowned upon. I would be walking through at 5 00 a.m. and the personnel would be walking around like zombies. No matter what I would always say "good morning" and I would be lucky to get a half grunt back in return. And no matter how many times I would see the same people every week for months and years they were always in a fog and disgruntled.

    Back to the bike assembly area, this cramped little area always had one employee. And numerous half assembled bikes he would be working on at once. Different types and models and I have no doubt that these "exceptional" employees would mismatch parts from different bikes. A very scary situation for the consumer, you not only have cheap ass bikes but you also have cheap ass bikes assembled wrong. By disgruntled zombie like people at 5:00 in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

  41. #91
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,969
    flat tires would generally be enough of a hindrance to anyone attempting to ride the bikes. the rest of the loose parts are just negligent indifference.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  42. #92
    tl1
    tl1 is offline
    Bicyclist
    Reputation: tl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Has anyone taken the time to photograph and document these issues and forward them to the corporate offices in Ark?
    I'm sure they would not be happy to know they have a store manager in cahoots with the local slip and fall liability lawyers. In fact they may quite gun shy about getting sued yet again for their shoddy and unethical business practices.

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    448
    I am sorry to offend a few, but glad someone posted the couch-riding vids.

    Thought pretty much everyone knew by now what Wal-mart is. The largest convenience store.

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6
    wow dont know what to think,but i never have liked wal-mart

  45. #95
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,077
    I only go to Wal Mart for paper towels and cleaning supplies... I DO walk over and check out the bikes for a laugh from time to time...
    My ONLY problem with the bikes being poorly assembled whether on purpose or by an unskilled worker is this: What about the single mom who buys her kid a Wal Mart bike because she can afford it? It falls apart and even if the kid doesn't get hurt, it has to go back and get exchanged for another one... OR the kid just never rides it again. Most women don't wrench on bikes.
    Every Christmas, the company I work for does a huge toy drive. Many people bring bikes. They asked the carpenter to build them and he did a crappy job. I thought to myself, kids in poor neighborhoods are going to get these and they're going to break or not work the first day. Then what?
    Now, for the past nine years, I bring my bike tools, cables, zip ties, hardware, lubes and whatever else into work and make about 20 bikes as perfect as I can.
    While I'm doing these Christmas bikes, I think about Wal Mart bikes and wish I could do all of them as well.
    I like turtles

  46. #96
    Currently in Exile
    Reputation: Frozenspokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    So what you're saying is, even though they are losing money on each bike they sell, they are making it up with volume?
    No, I am saying that the store I work at most likely loses money on the Walmart pricepoint bikes. I spend an equal amount of time building one of them (quite often more) as I do building a bike from a quality manufacterer.

    Walmart is not paying the person building bikes as much as I get paid. That person is spending considerably less time per a bike than I do. They are encouraged to build as many bikes as possible in an hour vs making sure the bike is assembled properly and is safe to ride.

    I put my name on every bike I build and can be held accountable for bikes that are built poorly. Every bike we sell gets a second (or third) look before going out the door. I don't beleive Walmart adheres to the same quality std.

    So, while my store is selling these bikes at a zero to negative profit margin, Walmart is not investing as much labor expense into the bikes and can therefore eek out a small profit on each individual bike.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

  47. #97
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    No, I am saying that the store I work at most likely loses money on the Walmart pricepoint bikes. I spend an equal amount of time building one of them (quite often more) as I do building a bike from a quality manufacterer.

    Walmart is not paying the person building bikes as much as I get paid. That person is spending considerably less time per a bike than I do. They are encouraged to build as many bikes as possible in an hour vs making sure the bike is assembled properly and is safe to ride.

    I put my name on every bike I build and can be held accountable for bikes that are built poorly. Every bike we sell gets a second (or third) look before going out the door. I don't beleive Walmart adheres to the same quality std.

    So, while my store is selling these bikes at a zero to negative profit margin, Walmart is not investing as much labor expense into the bikes and can therefore eek out a small profit on each individual bike.
    most large chain and corporate stores actually pay on a pay per piece. So the more bikes the outside contractor builds the more money he makes. And as far as the profit margin goes they don't make it on the bike but on the accessories and in walmarts case they make it on the other items the sell and just use the bikes and big items as a loss leader to get people in the store. They may make a little profit but not as much on all the little things they sell.

  48. #98
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The real problem is that we are relatively smart people, and stupid people outnumber smart people by a large factor. Wal-mart moves into these places and sells their stuff, and people would rather buy something better or have more of something than do the right thing. It's selfish when you think about it. Walmart undercuts the local guys on major big items, so you think to yourself "wow, I can buy more stuff with the money I save!". The thing that really blows my mind is all the midwestern towns that have one (or more) walmarts and nothing resembling a supermarket. In the walmarts, you can't even find the stuff that you'd find in a supermarket in the SW, E, W and other non-midwest regions. You take what walmart sells, or you live without it. It's kind of a shock going in when you've been living in other places. For my job I have to travel to the midwest (large city!) every once and a while, but it's the same thing, nothing but the super-walmarts for groceries, and we get stuff in our supermarkets in ALASKA that you don't see in walmart, even though we don't see quite as much in AK as others.

    This isn't meant to say that anyone from the midwest is "stupid", because those that know and are aware of what walmart does are obviously educated on this issue, but for whatever reason, the store is entrenched and the people that shop there will continue to do so. The few of us that choose not to shop there will not make any impact, as the stupid people that do greatly outnumber the ones that do not.
    Yup, what walmart shoppers fail to realize is that by 'saving' money, they are actively participating in the DESTRUCTION of their local economy making themselves poorer in the long run.

    You people who shop at walmart are like


    ahh ignorance
    Last edited by highdelll; 11-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  49. #99
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    28,600
    [QUOTE=NYrr496;9840956]I only go to Wal Mart for paper towels and cleaning supplies... I DO walk over and check out the bikes for a laugh from time to time...
    My ONLY problem with the bikes being poorly assembled whether on purpose or by an unskilled worker is this: What about the single mom who buys her kid a Wal Mart bike because she can afford it? It falls apart and even if the kid doesn't get hurt, it has to go back and get exchanged for another one... OR the kid just never rides it again. Most women don't wrench on bikes.
    Every Christmas, the company I work for does a huge toy drive. Many people bring bikes. They asked the carpenter to build them and he did a crappy job. I thought to myself, kids in poor neighborhoods are going to get these and they're going to break or not work the first day. Then what?
    Now, for the past nine years, I bring my bike tools, cables, zip ties, hardware, lubes and whatever else into work and make about 20 bikes as perfect as I can.
    While I'm doing these Christmas bikes, I think about Wal Mart bikes and wish I could do all of them


    Good job! .
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

  50. #100
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    28,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The real problem is that we are relatively smart people, and stupid people outnumber smart people by a large factor. Wal-mart moves into these places and sells their stuff, and people would rather buy something better or have more of something than do the right thing. It's selfish when you think about it. Walmart undercuts the local guys on major big items, so you think to yourself "wow, I can buy more stuff with the money I save!". The thing that really blows my mind is all the midwestern towns that have one (or more) walmarts and nothing resembling a supermarket. In the walmarts, you can't even find the stuff that you'd find in a supermarket in the SW, E, W and other non-midwest regions. You take what walmart sells, or you live without it. It's kind of a shock going in when you've been living in other places. For my job I have to travel to the midwest (large city!) every once and a while, but it's the same thing, nothing but the super-walmarts for groceries, and we get stuff in our supermarkets in ALASKA that you don't see in walmart, even though we don't see quite as much in AK as others.

    This isn't meant to say that anyone from the midwest is "stupid", because those that know and are aware of what walmart does are obviously educated on this issue, but for whatever reason, the store is entrenched and the people that shop there will continue to do so. The few of us that choose not to shop there will not make any impact, as the stupid people that do greatly outnumber the ones that do not.
    Jayem. I couldn't agree with you or Highdell more.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •