Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2012

Today's DIY project...

For you DIY'er's out there...

I figured I was going to get a better fork sooner or later since all the nice forks are tapered, while my 07 SJ frame doesn't accomodate tapered forks. Anyway got a great deal on an RS Revelation XX Wc fork during black Friday and all the parts got here.

Time to get to work....

Designed and made a bottom headset adaptor this morning on my lathe.

Installed the IS52mm lower head bearing. Everything pressed in correctly with a 0.1mm interference fit, per Cane Creek specs.

Pressed fit my DIY headset adaptor onto my frame, with JB Weld to bond the adaptor to the frame....

.....sitting around waiting for everything to set then going to test fit everything and see how it holds up.

Phase 2 (later) going to do a CF wrap/layup to further bond the headset adaptor into the frame, strengthening it even more.

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Dude, what can I say?

Freaking gorgeous
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

duh
    I would rep you again but I already did it earlier and have to wait.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I would rep you again but I already did it earlier and have to wait.
    LOL thanks - not doing this for the rep... just want to see what kind of mods I can pull off, and perhaps inspire new ideas...

ride more
    Mar 2007
    +rep...awesome!

DIY all the way
    Well done

Magura

Flow like water
    Uh, you know we're going to ask about the lathe...

Front Range, Colorado
    I have two thing's to say about that job.
    1) 2)
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice Work!

The Original Suspect
    We need more people like you in this world. People who get sh!t done! Good Job!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That is an awesome job!! And J.B. Weld rocks

DIY all the way
    Something just dawned on me....

Did you remember to isolate electrically before gluing it in?

Like anodizing the adapter or the like.

Magura

usually cranky
    what did you jb weld together?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Today's update.

The JB Weld has set nicely - had to grind out a little of the excess glue bead that formed inside the head tube. The clearances are very very tight (I only left 0.2-0.5mm room for the steerer tube to clear).

After cleanup....

Test fitting the fork to check clearances

Putting everything together... looks like I need a longer hose for the front brake (longer travel fork).

This is turning out to be more work than I thought. Then again I'm out sick and can't ride so boredom sets in.....then again I oughtta do some real "work". (Great when you own your own biz...)

-S

DIY all the way
    With 0.2-0.5mm clearance, have you checked the steerer tube is that straight?

When I made my last headset, I did the same, but got a small surprise

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Something just dawned on me....

Did you remember to isolate electrically before gluing it in?

Like anodizing the adapter or the like.

Magura
    Naah... didn't bother to. I bonded it into the existing aluminum headtube insert so it would have been pointless.

Before I layup the outside of the headset (not sure if I'll get around to doing this yet) I will lay a layer of e-glass to insulate it on the outside. It's plenty strong right now and I'm not too worried. Worst happens I'll lose a few teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    what did you jb weld together?
    I JB Welded the DIY adaptor to the inside of the aluminum bearing journal in the headtube.

The adaptor I made was already designed to have 0.1mm interference fit so I had to press it in, but I wanted to make really sure it stayed there and not be a source of creaking and failure. The JB weld was applied to the contact surfaces then the adaptor was pressed in.

-S

banned
    Sep 2012
    With 0.2-0.5mm clearance, have you checked the steerer tube is that straight?

When I made my last headset, I did the same, but got a small surprise

Magura
    It checked out ok.... I had more problems with the steerer tube not being completely round at the wide taper end (i.e. where the two halves of the mold for the tube make the parting line). I had to wet-sand the slight bulges. Even the new crown race didn't want to fit in properly.

-S

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice work.

Did adding the adapter change the geometry? Or did you shorten the headtube?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_amador View Post
    Nice work.

Did adding the adapter change the geometry? Or did you shorten the headtube?
    I did not shorten the headtube because the adaptor mounts into the existing integrated headtube insert. The adaptor added 10mm and the front fork angle is now at 69 degrees, within the original designed geometry of 69-71 degrees. It was originally 72 degrees with the TALAS fork I was using.

I took the opportunity to raise the stem another 5mm to help out my back on long rides.

Found a longer hose in my spares. Woot!! All done! Probably try a test ride later if I feel better and stop coughing.

I think I have too much crap on my handlebar now. LOL

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Team Livemedium
    Nice work although I wouldn't trust jb weld on anything ever. (especially of it moves or needs to support weight.). I'm a welder and often have to get that crap off to make a real repair. I'd go with a good press fit. Nice machine work fo sho.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Nice work although I wouldn't trust jb weld on anything ever. (especially of it moves or needs to support weight.). I'm a welder and often have to get that crap off to make a real repair. I'd go with a good press fit. Nice machine work fo sho.
    He is not trusting JB Weld for anything but holding the part in place, till he gets some carbon around it

Magura

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Can't weld (carbon frame) so what other options did I have?

Yes, I did make it press fit well (aka interference fit) and on top of that used JB weld when I pressed everything together for added peace of mind. It feels "strong enough" but I'm waiting on some raw 12K tow to come in so I can renforce it from the outside.

-S

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Can't weld (carbon frame) so what other options did I have?

Yes, I did make it press fit well (aka interference fit) and on top of that used JB weld when I pressed everything together for added peace of mind. It feels "strong enough" but I'm waiting on some raw 12K tow to come in so I can renforce it from the outside.

-S
    In that case, it is not ok. There are a couple of adhesives that would be fine, JB Weld is not one of them.

I thought you were just holding it in place with JB Weld, till the carbon was in place?

Magura

Realized this sounded a bit cryptic. Hysol 9466 is the ticket.

banned
    Sep 2012
    In that case, it is not ok. There are a couple of adhesives that would be fine, JB Weld is not one of them.

I thought you were just holding it in place with JB Weld, till the carbon was in place?

Magura

Realized this sounded a bit cryptic. Hysol 9466 is the ticket.
    I just grabbed what I could find at the moment. LOL.... all the other stuff I had lying around was regular epoxy and polyester resins.

It should be good enough. Lap shear strength is about 1000psi compared to 1700 for Loctite 9466. You gotta also consider that the parts are also in constant tension (assuming I tightened the steerer tube correctly ) so there is an additional force pulling everything together. That's why I'm going to add some plies of carbon fiber on the outside and "assimilate" the adaptor into the frame.

JB Weld is like Duct Tape ... a quick and dirty fix. I've repaired engine blocks, missing threads etc with it with various success rates. Most important in JB Weld is the cure process - need to control the temperatures for it to cure properly....

-S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast