Thread: Tires

mtbr member
    May 2018

Tires

Hello everyone, I'm new to the sport and yet to really go out riding because I just got two new bikes and want to make some changes and I need some experienced riders advice please. I'm kind of a tall and big guy at 6'6 285, I got two 29 inch bikes which can support my weight but the tires I doubt. I'm thinking that if I buy tires that hold a lot more pressure I should be okay? What tire do you suggest for me and what max pressure should they be for my weight? Thank you.

bikes don't have motors
    Just don't exceed the max pressure that is on the sidewall of your stock tires. Ride them until you get an idea of what tires work well in your local conditions. Lower tire pressures aren't a bad thing, you just don't want to have pressures so low that you get snake bite punctures or rim strikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by hardeeboy View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the sport and yet to really go out riding because I just got two new bikes and want to make some changes and I need some experienced riders advice please. I'm kind of a tall and big guy at 6'6 285, I got two 29 inch bikes which can support my weight but the tires I doubt. I'm thinking that if I buy tires that hold a lot more pressure I should be okay? What tire do you suggest for me and what max pressure should they be for my weight? Thank you.
    what kind of bikes? It will help to know

I started out riding at 320 lbs years ago, and all of my experience back then was to NOT have high pressure tires...the more air I put in them, the more blow outs I had. Also, I would be "trampolining" down or over rocky/rooty technical areas.

I am down to 190 now, but still use less air pressure. I have a Surly Krampus...29+ bike...I use the standard Surly Knards and run them around 11-17 psi depending on the terrain. I still use tubes (been told I am a "dinosaur" ).
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

WillWorkForTrail
    A couple of things will help here. We already have your weight. Get us the size of the stock tires and we'll see if we can't figure out where your air pressure *should* be instead of just going for max. Having the correct air pressure really will help with the overall ride and handling of the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Tires say 40 psi max and max weight is 90 KG which is 198.4 lbs. So I'm pretty sure these tires won't work.

noob bikepacker
    what brand of tire, and what width? Again, if you are bigger, you will NOT want to run the max pressure...you will want to run below it, depending on the kind if tire, rims, bike and the way you will ride
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    ARISUN tires and 29x1.95

noob bikepacker
    and what kind of bikes...and what type of riding will you do...regular singletrack/ gravel/ some road / bike packing?
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    It's a Mongoose Salvo Comp 29" MTB. Most riding will be on trails and also some on the road.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by hardeeboy View Post
    It's a Mongoose Salvo Comp 29" MTB. Most riding will be on trails and also some on the road.
    ah ha...that helps a lot. So, knowing that it is not a "plus" or "fat bike" helps. I would suggest going with something more along the lines of a 2.2 or 2.3 inch wide tire, and not running it at full PSI...when I was in your situation, I had Continental Trail Kings put on my old 1994 Trek Mountain Track 830. It is a 26" wheel diameter, but the Trail Kings were 26x2.3...they felt really good...they are still on it today...and I ran them about 10 lbs under what the maximum was. Never has a blow out due to my weight (any trie issues were due to poor line choice on trails).

I feel like if you go as wide as your rims will allow, and run a few under max, you will get a decent ride.
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Okay I'll try that then, I just hope they aren't to wide for this bike and rub against the brakes, the ones on there now are real close to the brakes already. I'll take it to the local bike shop here and see what happens. Thanks for your insight.