mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Tip - Razor blade and crazy glue saves the day!

So this weekend, I was making adjustments to a bike and jumped on and headed out for the local farm roads. Seems I've been fixing a lot of people's bikes lately. Well, a few miles from the house riding through the farm roads which hadn't been cut recently, I got a flat.

I didn't have any equipment on me (i.e. a spare tube or any of the normal bike tools), as it was just a quick jaunt out to test the derailleur settings, etc. and I rode a lot further than I should have.

I tried pumping the tube back up with the hand pump on the bike, and heard a pretty good whistle of air when I'd take the pump off. Fooling around with the stem, if I pushed one way it would stop, the other way it would gush.

As luck would have it, I happened to have a retractable razor knife and crazy glue in my pocket. Yeah, I know probably shouldn't been riding with a razor knife

Anyway, I flattened the tube, and managed to work the tire enough with my bare hands to get the stem out to look at it. Sure enough, there was a little crack right at the base of the stem, apparently a stick or something in the tall grass must have jammed against the stem and cause it to cut on the rim. I took the razor kife, sliced a thin part off the top of one of the knobbies on the tire, and dropped a bit of crazy glue on it. Bam, instant tube patch! The crazy glue actually kind of melts the rubber, and welds it together. So much so you can hardly tell it was even patched.

Worked like a charm!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wow really nice to know

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    you are like McGuyver, I mean McGruber, no McGuyver

mtbr member
    May 2006
    actually crazy glue would have probably worked all on its own...anyway sucess

They actually sell little one shot tubes of crazy glue.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I always carry super glue, this one time at ban... I mean on one ride I lost the nut off one of my pivots and with a bit of packing twine wrapped around the threads of the bolt then soaked in super glue it was enough to get me out of the woods. The glue seemed to melt the fibers of string into a solid clump, just like fiberglass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As a follow up - I had to replace the tube. It was flat again when I got home. The area I patched wasn't actually leaking, the valve itself must have been damaged and slowly leaked away overnight.

But, the trick did get me back home without lugging the bike. Stayed inflated for the ride home, and at least a few hours later until I put the bike away.

Just Ride
    who takes a razor with them though?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Lol
    So true story: You just fixed something you broke seconds earlier.
    It leaked out of the same hole it drained out of overnight. When you went to fill it up you broke the valve with the mini pump by being less than gentle. Don't worry. Super common (especially with mini pumps.) When the butyl splits around the valve it could be an old tube but the actual mechanism of the damage is always from a rough pumping action (lol.)

Also: Butyl stretches. Dry super glue does not. I suspect that was a relatively large tube for that tire. Either way, sweet trail fix.

mtbr member
    Good idea. I usually keep a folding razor knife on me when Im out so Ill have to remember this trick.

PRETENDURO
    I love those sorts of MacGyver moments!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    Lol
    So true story: You just fixed something you broke seconds earlier.
    It leaked out of the same hole it drained out of overnight. When you went to fill it up you broke the valve with the mini pump by being less than gentle.
    No, it did leak through the valve stem. I tested the patch, it was still sealed up. The stem was slightly bubbling, so I think whatever hit the stem to cause it to cut also damaged the stem internally.

The pump on the bike was one of those topeak ones with the head on a hose, so I don't think I damaged the stem by being rough although perhaps I did when I was attaching it to the valve.