mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Time Z Strong Pedals

Hey there, anyone familiar with these? I just bought a set and they are incredibly difficult to clip out of. I did plenty of research online and can't find much more info than what is in the not very good instructions that came with them. I tried swapping the cleats from L to R, which apparently changes the tension and how easy/difficult they are to unclip, but it appears to make no difference. And I can't really tell from the manual or the research I did whether or not this particular model is adjustable for tension on the pedal itself. Help!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by goldsoundz View Post
    Hey there, anyone familiar with these? I just bought a set and they are incredibly difficult to clip out of. I did plenty of research online and can't find much more info than what is in the not very good instructions that came with them. I tried swapping the cleats from L to R, which apparently changes the tension and how easy/difficult they are to unclip, but it appears to make no difference. And I can't really tell from the manual or the research I did whether or not this particular model is adjustable for tension on the pedal itself. Help!

I recently switched from CrankBrothers to TIME. My situation mirrored yours. In my case, the cleats/pedals just needed to break in. Six or seven rides later and they were considerably easier to get in and out of.

Just takes TIME (get it?!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    I recently switched from CrankBrothers to TIME. My situation mirrored yours. In my case, the cleats/pedals just needed to break in. Six or seven rides later and they were considerably easier to get in and out of.

Couldn't agree more. It will also help to grease the contact points. This will make it a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McUberton View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It will also help to grease the contact points. This will make it a lot easier.
    Good point...I actually used a little chain lube on the contact points too...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Haha, cool, thanks! I'll go for a few rides on less technical terrain so I don't break my wrist falling on technical stuff! I;ll also try greasing them, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post

local trails rider
    Also check that you don't have any serious interference between your shoe and the pedal body.

New cleats can be a bit stiff on Times.
    The L and R cleats affect the angle at which they release: "right" way = smaller angle, "wrong" way = wider angle. The "right" way feels right to me.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    By the way, are you guys using them with cleats as marked, or reversed? I tried both ways and it seemed to make absolutely no diff.

mtbr member
    I use them as marked. Check and make sure your shoe is not rubbing on the pedal. If it is you could always try using spacers.

local trails rider
    Or trim the shoe if the interference is in a location you can trim.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ya, they will break in. Im pretty happy with em, been riding those things for years. Little heavy but I think it's worth it.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Based on my 5+ years' good experience with Time ATAC Aliums, I was considering getting a set of Z's; didn't follow through with it, because my main reason for it was to have a pedal set that was equally useable with cleats or without. I decided I wouldn't ride often enough without cleats to make it worthwhile.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Over the Hill
    Some Time pedals have a small slotted screw/shaft that supposedly adjusts the cleat release tension. I've turned it both ways and ain't much difference. YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    FYI: The "right" or "wrong" way for cleats are all about release angle.

When you put the cleat the right way : Right cleat on right shoe and left cleat on left shoe the release angle is 13 degree : easier for beginners

The other way around ( the "wrong" way) right cleat on left show and left cleat on right shoe, the release angle is 17 degree.

Time are notorious for their forgiving play due just to this. IMO 17 degree is just right. It let you have plenty lateral and angular play so you don't clip out in the heat of the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Stupid question, but by release angle, do you mean a vertical angle (the angle between your toe and heel vertically, so the angle at which your heel is "in the air") or horizontal angle, where it only releases when your foot moves to the side at the 17 degree point?

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    or horizontal angle, where it only releases when your foot moves to the side at the 17 degree point?
    ^^^ The latter

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are these your first clipless pedals?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nope, I have been using Shimano M520's since about '93. This is my first set of non-spd clipless though. I ended up taking them off my mountain bike and going back to my spds. I may put them on a road bike though.