Living the Dream

Time Atac XS vs XS Carbon

I was wondering if there are any benefits to the carbon model. It seems that the weight of the two pedals are about the same. I have been happily using the xs atac for a while now and need to outfit a second bike.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    I think the only differance is the body material. Carbon is slightly lighter for more money.

I do know that the older XS Carbon pedals are listed around 320g and even the new XC 6 version (steel axle/composite body) is about 290g. Or, the newer carbon models- XC 8 (chromoly axle/carbon body) is 285g and the XC 12 (Ti axle/carbon body) is 240g.

I don't trust Ti axles unless you're light. I fear an axle braking at the wrong time, so, thats jut me. But, the newer XC 8 and XC 6 are both lighter versions and may be worth the extra cash if only a few grams were the price for carbon.

Front Range, Colorado
    I'm 6' 205lbs and ride aggressive rock gardens consistently. I have been running TIME ATAC XS Carbon Titanium for 5 years with no problems. These pedals are awesome performers and very light. But they are very expensive and if not a weight weeny not worth springing for the Carbon Titanium. When I bought them I had some cash that needed to be spent. They run between $300 and $400 bucks.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have run both types for years. Carbon appears to wear slightly faster.
    I only bought the carbon because they were crazy cheap on sale. Apparently nobody likes the TIme pedals here?

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by October26 View Post
    Apparently nobody likes the TIme pedals here?
    You must be smoking crack because TIME pedals are highly recommended around here. Running the carbon myself. No problems, no signs of wear except scuffs. As far as the OP unless you run the Ti carbon for a weight advantage get what you can afford. You won't be disappointed. If you are send them over here.

BTW Universal Cycles has the old versions available at a decent price. The new version which is even lighter isn't in yet.

Universal Cycles -- Pedals > Mountain Bike & BMX Pedals > Time Pedals

(non-affiliated)
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I am not smoking crack right now, but I just bought 2 sets of Black (carbon to get black). After 4 yrs away from TIME, it is good to be back. Eggbeaters had better float, but I kept bending them. I wish regular ATAC came in black. I ride winter, so these work well.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I am not smoking crack right now, but I just bought 2 sets of Black (carbon to get black). After 4 yrs away from TIME, it is good to be back. Eggbeaters had better float, but I kept bending them. I wish regular ATAC came in black. I ride winter, so these work well.
    Glad to have you back after 4 years off your rocker. I'm also glad you kicked the crack habit.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    You must be smoking crack because TIME pedals are highly recommended around here. Running the carbon myself. No problems, no signs of wear except scuffs. As far as the OP unless you run the Ti carbon for a weight advantage get what you can afford. You won't be disappointed. If you are send them over here.

BTW Universal Cycles has the old versions available at a decent price. The new version which is even lighter isn't in yet.

Universal Cycles -- Pedals > Mountain Bike & BMX Pedals > Time Pedals

(non-affiliated)
    One hundred thirty four dollars for the XS??? Holy guac- I think I paid $90 for mine. Why are they so expensive now?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    One hundred thirty four dollars for the XS??? Holy guac- I think I paid $90 for mine. Why are they so expensive now?
    Good question. There all around the same price everywhere on the internet. I paid only 140$ for the carbon ones myself. The new version went up higher in price from last year as well and they look more road like IMO.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just got my set of xc6 in the mail today they are really really awesome

mtbr member
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    And the regular XS, also at Nashbar, for $110. Plus, free shipping for orders over $50. Use code 48365.

Time ATAC XS Mountain Pedals - Last Chance Bargains
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Fat & Single
    TIME XS Carbons here too on both bikes, awesome pedals, no issues as yet in 3 years with them, just wish they would make better wearing cleats, im on about my 6th set over 2 pairs of shoes.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Pricepoint matched somebody for me at $129 for carbon ATAC

I use Pricepoint, as they refunded me for bad wheelset last year, major relief. If you guys see deal on Time cleats, post please. Cleat prices are the one downfall of these pedals.

Living the Dream

I got the carbon Titans on Chainlove

Thanks for the input.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    TIME XS Carbons here too on both bikes, awesome pedals, no issues as yet in 3 years with them, just wish they would make better wearing cleats, im on about my 6th set over 2 pairs of shoes.
    If they made the cleat out of hard steel it would wear out the pedal; as it is, the bronze custom fits itself to your setup and makes everything happy. However...... you're right, they only last about half to a third as long as a shoe. But the pedals can go pretty indefinitely even when ragged and pooched.

It's a good idea to check out the rails fairly often as they can get burrs on them from 'unintended contact' and that can accelerate the wear process. File off anything proud and then buff with some 600ish sandpaper.

I'd run something else just for availability but so far there's no better alternative. Look has a knock off design but it doesn't seem to be worth changing to from what I see - but I'm open to anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've just ordered a pair of XC6. I'm currently using a 10 year old TIME ATAC - don't know which model and it's still good. Some poster mention he had problems with his Time in that the retention bar was too high and his shoe couldn't make contact with the body of the pedal. Should i be worried about this with the new XC6 - had a look at them in pictures and the retention bars do look a touch on the high side - but wouldn't the shoe then press them down and then the shoe will make contact with the body of the pedal????? Or are does the newer XC6 have a design problem....?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If the pedal doesn't fit the shoe then trim the shoe. I had to trim my last pair of shoes for some egg beaters. But my new shimano mo88 with the time xc6 fit perfect

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a pair of XS Carbon pedals and Scott Team BOA shoes. The tread on the shoes (on either side of the cleat) actually wore down the pedal housing in less than 1 year to the point that the only contact was the retention bars on the bottom of the shoe, which then started to wear down the shoe and make an awful creaking noise. I sent the pedal back to Time and they said it wasn't a warranty issue but did replace them with a pair of Alium pedals which they assured would not wear in the same manner. However, the Aliums do have a higher retnetion bar that prevents the shoe tread from contacting the pedal housing, again leaving only the retention bars contacting the bottom of the shoe. I have Shimano winter shoes that have no issue so maybe it is just a matter that Scott shoes have a shorter tread pattern than others. I would just check for contact with Time pedals before using them to ensure compatability.