Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19

    Time ATAC XS vs Alium

    Looking to get into a set of clipless pedals and have been investigating the Time offerings. Anyone out there with experience in either of these platforms that would care to elaborate on "real world" differences? Is the adjust-ability of the XS pedals and their material makeup worthy of doubling the price tag in comparison to the Aliums? Do you find yourself getting what you need without the bells and whistles out of the Alium pedals? Appreciate the insight!

  2. #2
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_D View Post
    Looking to get into a set of clipless pedals and have been investigating the Time offerings. Anyone out there with experience in either of these platforms that would care to elaborate on "real world" differences? Is the adjust-ability of the XS pedals and their material makeup worthy of doubling the price tag in comparison to the Aliums? Do you find yourself getting what you need without the bells and whistles out of the Alium pedals? Appreciate the insight!
    I went from aluminum which I ran for several years to the Titanium XS Carbon. Which I have been on for 4 years. As far as the difference, obviously a huge weight difference and adjustability in the float. Do I think it is worth paying double? No! But if you can afford to do it I say do it. The adjustability alone had me sold. But I think TIME makes an aluminum one now that has the same adjustment which would be far cheaper than the Titanium / Carbon XS. If I had that choice back when I switched I probably would have went that route, just to save a few bucks.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    Sounds like I can't go wrong with either! I've seen a couple of deals on the XS pedals so maybe I'll pick some of those up....now I just need to find some shoes for my Sasquatch feet!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    I have both. Aliums are bomb proof. I put mine through hell and they still come back for more. The ATAC XS's are very nice as well. I got mine on the cheap from my LBS when I bought a new bike. They were ordered by someone else and never picked up so they gave them to me for like $60. I wouldn't pay full price for them. I am very happy with my Alium and would buy them any day of the week.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    I too have tried to destroy two different sets of Aliums without success. They are tough man! Just built up a third bike and this time I decided to spend a little more for the Atac ROC S. Not that I don't like the ROCs but if I had it to do over I would have saved the extra 60-70 bucks they cost me and just stayed with the Aliums.

  6. #6
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I have both. Aliums are bomb proof. I put mine through hell and they still come back for more. The ATAC XS's are very nice as well. I got mine on the cheap from my LBS when I bought a new bike. They were ordered by someone else and never picked up so they gave them to me for like $60. I wouldn't pay full price for them. I am very happy with my Alium and would buy them any day of the week.
    Are you talking about the ATAC XS Carbon Titanium? If so you scored for $60. They retail for $400.00. Please tell me these aren't the pedals you are talking about.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Are you talking about the ATAC XS Carbon Titanium? If so you scored for $60. They retail for $400.00. Please tell me these aren't the pedals you are talking about.
    haha...I wish. they are just the carbon/steel ones. Still decent for the price but definitely not the carbon titaniums.

    Last edited by Nubster; 05-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  8. #8
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    haha...I wish. they are just the carbon/steel ones. Still decent for the price but definitely not the carbon titaniums.

    Are you sure? I have set of Titanium Carbon XS that look identical to those. I paid just shy of $400.00
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    hmmm...not sure. I know the new ones from 2012 say Titan on them. These are a few years old so maybe they didn't say that back then? I don't have the box or paperwork anymore. I'll have to check into it but I'm still pretty sure they're just the carbon/steel, If I got the titanium ones, that's kinda eff'ed up that I got them for $60 and they retail for $400 cause that's hell of a mark up because I'm sure the LBS didn't sell them to me at a loss...lol...cost maybe, but certainly not at a loss.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  10. #10
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    853
    After a very short stint with SPDs, I've ridden with nothing but Time Aliums for about 15 years. I think I've retired 2 pair just because the bushings/bearings and top rails were worn out and at $60 for a new pair I wasn't going to try to service the old ones. As stated, they are bombproof, even in very rocky terrain where pedal strikes are a way of life.

  11. #11
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,143
    I too have run Aliums for many years with no problems. Also the ROC ATAC's, and I've always had problems with the spring retaining pins working out after a couple years, so I've gone back to the Aliums, which are trouble free until the bearings wear out.
    I ride with the best people.




  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    344
    Another option to keep in mind is the prior version of the pedal - looks like a small square block. I have been riding these years, and when I needed a replacement recently, I found a set on eBay for next to nothing.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    Thank you everyone for your input...this topic has generated a pretty good little discussion. I pulled the trigger on some Aliums and Sette shoes from Pricepoint today. Look to be a solid combo that should last for a good while. Thanks again for you input everyone. Much appreciated!

  14. #14
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    hmmm...not sure. I know the new ones from 2012 say Titan on them. These are a few years old so maybe they didn't say that back then? I don't have the box or paperwork anymore. I'll have to check into it but I'm still pretty sure they're just the carbon/steel, If I got the titanium ones, that's kinda eff'ed up that I got them for $60 and they retail for $400 cause that's hell of a mark up because I'm sure the LBS didn't sell them to me at a loss...lol...cost maybe, but certainly not at a loss.
    Well one way to tell if you scored the Titanium ones would be to weigh them. The Titanium weigh in at 268 grams a pair.
    BikeSomeWhere.com | The Ultimate Bike Store
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  15. #15
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    You cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal. You can with an ATAC XS.

    I gotz both
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    You cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal. You can with an ATAC XS.

    I gotz both
    Not true. Probably one of the best bottle openers I've ever used.
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-12-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  17. #17
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Not true. I did it just yesterday.
    Nubster throw those babies on a scale and if they come up at 268 grams then they're Titanium. This would be the score of the year. Get-R-Done
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  18. #18
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    You cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal. You can with an ATAC XS.

    I gotz both
    Not true. I use my Alium's all the time as a bottle opener

  19. #19
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Maybe I dont have the special touch with em
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Nubster throw those babies on a scale and if they come up at 268 grams then they're Titanium. This would be the score of the year. Get-R-Done
    Just checked, my scale only goes to 150g. I'll have to wait until tomorrow and use my mom's when I go to her house for mom's day dinner.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  21. #21
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal.
    oh yeah? that sucks - try harder?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  23. #23
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Ahhhh yes Sammy's my beverage of choice. Hey Nub what the hell you drinking for you should be wrenching and a weighing.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Ahhhh yes Sammy's my beverage of choice. Hey Nub what the hell you drinking for you should be wrenching and a weighing.
    haha...i know right....I'll get it done today....lol
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,799
    One vote for the Time Atac
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

  27. #27
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,910
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I too have run Aliums for many years with no problems. Also the ROC ATAC's, and I've always had problems with the spring retaining pins working out after a couple years, so I've gone back to the Aliums, which are trouble free until the bearings wear out.
    Love my Aliums, but the bearings on the current set are starting to go and I've got a set that's on another bike with pretty fried bearings too.

    Do you replace, or just chuck them? From time to time, I look for anything approaching a current discussion of rebuilding. I really should just figure it out, but I wear the springs too...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  28. #28
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    haha...i know right....I'll get it done today....lol
    Well Nub did you get a chance to weight them?
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  29. #29
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,143
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Love my Aliums, but the bearings on the current set are starting to go and I've got a set that's on another bike with pretty fried bearings too.

    Do you replace, or just chuck them? From time to time, I look for anything approaching a current discussion of rebuilding. I really should just figure it out, but I wear the springs too...
    Get new ones. You also get a set of ~$20 cleats with the new pedals, which you will need now or later. Keep the old ones for back up or your townie or rarely used road bike.
    I ride with the best people.




  30. #30
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,910
    ^^^
    Kinda what I figured.

    Still, if it starts to get difficult to get Aliums, I may revisit rebuilding. I have some ROC ATACs, and don't like them nearly as much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Well Nub did you get a chance to weight them?
    Damn it no I didn't. The scale was broken. I need to just get one my self so I have it. Sorry...I will weight them soon just so we know what the heck they are for sure. I'm pretty curious now myself.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  32. #32
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Damn it no I didn't. The scale was broken. I need to just get one my self so I have it. Sorry...I will weight them soon just so we know what the heck they are for sure. I'm pretty curious now myself.
    Bummer, maybe just walk them into a Best Buy or a Sears or a bike shop and weigh them. Those stores have display models you could use. That is if your not ready to buy one. Man I have lost some serious sleep over this. I can imagine you have to.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    FedEx showed up today with my Aliums and Sette Element shoes. Looking forward to breaking these in!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Had the same shoes...still do actually but they are retired. Not bad at all. They run slightly narrow but they weren't bad. I got two seasons out of them with more life left, I switched to a Specialized shoe that was a little roomier. You should be happy with your setup.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19
    Yeah Nub I tried the shoes on yesterday and they were a little snug but not enough for me to return them. I have pretty wide feet so I'll have to try Specialized shoes in the future. For $115 shipped I thought these shoes and pedals were a pretty good value.

  36. #36
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,053
    I ride XS carbons on both bikes..... never tried Aliums but hey, at least we are all on the same page here so there cant be too much difference unlike a TIME v Shimano.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Damn it no I didn't. The scale was broken. I need to just get one my self so I have it. Sorry...I will weight them soon just so we know what the heck they are for sure. I'm pretty curious now myself.
    No need to weigh them... do you have a magnet? The XS Carbons have a steel spindle and will hold a magnet. The XS Titanium has a Ti spindle and Titanium is non-magnetic. I'm 99% sure that the pedals in that picture are ATAC XS Carbon. The XS Carbon Titans are slightly different color.

    I am a big fan of Time ATAC's. There are at least 10 sets in my garage. My experience is that the Alium is pretty bomb proof, but very heavy. If you can find a set that have the adjustments you need, then they are the type of thing that you put on your bike and forget about - forever (or until you wear out the bearings).

    The XS versions are considerably lighter than the Aliums but are nearly as bomb proof. I've beat the crap out of a few sets and some are so worn that they're almost unrecognizable - yet they still work great.

    You really can't go wrong with either, and it comes down to your priorities. I will second the comment about getting a new set of pedals because the cleats will come in handy eventually.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_D View Post
    Yeah Nub I tried the shoes on yesterday and they were a little snug but not enough for me to return them. I have pretty wide feet so I'll have to try Specialized shoes in the future. For $115 shipped I thought these shoes and pedals were a pretty good value.
    Yeah, it's a deal hard to beat. I found the Specialized shoes to be more comfy for sure, but like I said, I wore the other ones two seasons, they were bad at all. I read that Lake brand shoes have a roomier fit as well but I have never tried them.

    I do miss the ratchet system on my new shoes though.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

  39. #39
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    26,592
    Well Nubster it doesn't look like you're going to weigh them.
    But I think I solved the mystery,so no more worries. I was on a ride today and when I got back I loaded the bike up into my truck. As I'm standing there admiring this finely crafted machine called Intense. My eyes wandered to the pedals and BOOM this thread came to mind. My TIME Titan XS Carbon Titanium actually say Titanium on the body. After close inspection of your photos it seems yours are the steal spindle version. But even so you got a killer deal for $40. Ahhh mystery solved I can sleep now.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •