Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Time ATAC XS vs Alium

Looking to get into a set of clipless pedals and have been investigating the Time offerings. Anyone out there with experience in either of these platforms that would care to elaborate on "real world" differences? Is the adjust-ability of the XS pedals and their material makeup worthy of doubling the price tag in comparison to the Aliums? Do you find yourself getting what you need without the bells and whistles out of the Alium pedals? Appreciate the insight!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_D View Post
    Looking to get into a set of clipless pedals and have been investigating the Time offerings. Anyone out there with experience in either of these platforms that would care to elaborate on "real world" differences? Is the adjust-ability of the XS pedals and their material makeup worthy of doubling the price tag in comparison to the Aliums? Do you find yourself getting what you need without the bells and whistles out of the Alium pedals? Appreciate the insight!
    I went from aluminum which I ran for several years to the Titanium XS Carbon. Which I have been on for 4 years. As far as the difference, obviously a huge weight difference and adjustability in the float. Do I think it is worth paying double? No! But if you can afford to do it I say do it. The adjustability alone had me sold. But I think TIME makes an aluminum one now that has the same adjustment which would be far cheaper than the Titanium / Carbon XS. If I had that choice back when I switched I probably would have went that route, just to save a few bucks.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sounds like I can't go wrong with either! I've seen a couple of deals on the XS pedals so maybe I'll pick some of those up....now I just need to find some shoes for my Sasquatch feet!

mtbr member
    I have both. Aliums are bomb proof. I put mine through hell and they still come back for more. The ATAC XS's are very nice as well. I got mine on the cheap from my LBS when I bought a new bike. They were ordered by someone else and never picked up so they gave them to me for like $60. I wouldn't pay full price for them. I am very happy with my Alium and would buy them any day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I too have tried to destroy two different sets of Aliums without success. They are tough man! Just built up a third bike and this time I decided to spend a little more for the Atac ROC S. Not that I don't like the ROCs but if I had it to do over I would have saved the extra 60-70 bucks they cost me and just stayed with the Aliums.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I have both. Aliums are bomb proof. I put mine through hell and they still come back for more. The ATAC XS's are very nice as well. I got mine on the cheap from my LBS when I bought a new bike. They were ordered by someone else and never picked up so they gave them to me for like $60. I wouldn't pay full price for them. I am very happy with my Alium and would buy them any day of the week.
    Are you talking about the ATAC XS Carbon Titanium? If so you scored for $60. They retail for $400.00. Please tell me these aren't the pedals you are talking about.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Are you talking about the ATAC XS Carbon Titanium? If so you scored for $60. They retail for $400.00. Please tell me these aren't the pedals you are talking about.
    haha...I wish. they are just the carbon/steel ones. Still decent for the price but definitely not the carbon titaniums.

Last edited by Nubster; 05-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Front Range, Colorado
    haha...I wish. they are just the carbon/steel ones. Still decent for the price but definitely not the carbon titaniums.

Are you sure? I have set of Titanium Carbon XS that look identical to those. I paid just shy of $400.00
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    hmmm...not sure. I know the new ones from 2012 say Titan on them. These are a few years old so maybe they didn't say that back then? I don't have the box or paperwork anymore. I'll have to check into it but I'm still pretty sure they're just the carbon/steel, If I got the titanium ones, that's kinda eff'ed up that I got them for $60 and they retail for $400 cause that's hell of a mark up because I'm sure the LBS didn't sell them to me at a loss...lol...cost maybe, but certainly not at a loss.

Retired User
    After a very short stint with SPDs, I've ridden with nothing but Time Aliums for about 15 years. I think I've retired 2 pair just because the bushings/bearings and top rails were worn out and at $60 for a new pair I wasn't going to try to service the old ones. As stated, they are bombproof, even in very rocky terrain where pedal strikes are a way of life.

saddlemeat
    I too have run Aliums for many years with no problems. Also the ROC ATAC's, and I've always had problems with the spring retaining pins working out after a couple years, so I've gone back to the Aliums, which are trouble free until the bearings wear out.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    Another option to keep in mind is the prior version of the pedal - looks like a small square block. I have been riding these years, and when I needed a replacement recently, I found a set on eBay for next to nothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input...this topic has generated a pretty good little discussion. I pulled the trigger on some Aliums and Sette shoes from Pricepoint today. Look to be a solid combo that should last for a good while. Thanks again for you input everyone. Much appreciated!

Front Range, Colorado
    hmmm...not sure. I know the new ones from 2012 say Titan on them. These are a few years old so maybe they didn't say that back then? I don't have the box or paperwork anymore. I'll have to check into it but I'm still pretty sure they're just the carbon/steel, If I got the titanium ones, that's kinda eff'ed up that I got them for $60 and they retail for $400 cause that's hell of a mark up because I'm sure the LBS didn't sell them to me at a loss...lol...cost maybe, but certainly not at a loss.
    Well one way to tell if you scored the Titanium ones would be to weigh them. The Titanium weigh in at 268 grams a pair.
    BikeSomeWhere.com | The Ultimate Bike Store
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Bro Mountainbiker
    You cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal. You can with an ATAC XS.

I gotz both
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I gotz both
    Not true. Probably one of the best bottle openers I've ever used.
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-12-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Front Range, Colorado
    Not true. I did it just yesterday.
    Nubster throw those babies on a scale and if they come up at 268 grams then they're Titanium. This would be the score of the year. Get-R-Done
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Retired User

I gotz both
    Not true. I use my Alium's all the time as a bottle opener

Bro Mountainbiker
    Maybe I dont have the special touch with em
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Nubster throw those babies on a scale and if they come up at 268 grams then they're Titanium. This would be the score of the year. Get-R-Done
    Just checked, my scale only goes to 150g. I'll have to wait until tomorrow and use my mom's when I go to her house for mom's day dinner.

~Disc~Golf~
    I cant open a beer bottle with an Alium pedal.
    oh yeah? that sucks - try harder?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member

Front Range, Colorado
    Ahhhh yes Sammy's my beverage of choice. Hey Nub what the hell you drinking for you should be wrenching and a weighing.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Ahhhh yes Sammy's my beverage of choice. Hey Nub what the hell you drinking for you should be wrenching and a weighing.
    haha...i know right....I'll get it done today....lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast