a dad
    Jan 2004

tightening headset, won't work?

hey just hoping for a little help. just put a new fork on my bike, which was new in october, and can't get the headset tight enough to take the play out of it. i have heard don't over tightnen it, but it is still loose, any suggestions. thank

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stem bolts

When you are tightening down your top cap, make sure your stem bolts are loose enough to allow the steerer to be pulled up tight.

Then make sure you tighten the stem bolts down well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    hey just hoping for a little help. just put a new fork on my bike, which was new in october, and can't get the headset tight enough to take the play out of it. i have heard don't over tightnen it, but it is still loose, any suggestions. thank
    Make sure the top cap is not hitting the steer tube before it's able to be tightened. You should have about 3-4mm from the top of the stem to the top of the steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Both of the above posts are correct...I'd add:

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    Make sure the top cap is not hitting the steer tube before it's able to be tightened. You should have about 3-4mm from the top of the stem to the top of the steerer tube.
    The reason that the steerer tube needs to be 3-4 mm below the top of the stem is so that the top cap rests on the stem and NOT the steerer tube. If the top cap even touches the steerer you will never get it tight.

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    Also, see if your fork has some play, I dont think this is your problem, but I figured Id throw it out there, I know mine does!
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

R.I.P. DogFriend

This happened to a "friend" of mine. . . . .

Also make sure that the donut shaped piece with a split in it that slides down onto the steerer tube that is the connection point between the bearing and the steerer tube may have a top and bottom side to it that is not readily apparent that acts to keep the tube centered on the bearing when correctly installed. If you have had it on and off a few times it’s easy to forget to make sure it gets back on correctly. If you put it on upside down the tube may “wander” around and seem like it won’t get tight.

This happened to a “friend” of mine recently. . . . . Yeah, a “friend”. That’s right. . . . . a “real good friend”. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

Also if you’re bottom bearing race didn’t get pressed all the way down on the steerer tube toward the crown, you’ll tighten it up and ride for a minute and it will be loose again as it gradually presses itself all the way down.

This happened to another “friend” several years ago. . . . . Yup. . . .a “friend”. Umhmmm. . . . . >8P