Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ticks

mtbr member
    100% DEET spray. (Actually 98.11%)

Other people I know have found ticks and been bitten this year. Not me. (And those who were bitten or found ticks on their body/clothes did not use DEET spray.)

I'll be sticking with DEET spray.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Me, too.

Man, I can't believe that little piece of stamped metal costs $6.50. Good ol' REI. :^P
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I let my wife check me for ticks. After that the real
    fun begins.
    Your wife checks me, as well. She's VERY thorough.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    100% DEET spray. (Actually 98.11%)

Other people I know have found ticks and been bitten this year. Not me. (And those who were bitten or found ticks on their body/clothes did not use DEET spray.)

I'll be sticking with DEET spray.
    I used to use the 100% stuff, but it tended to melt my socks and make the paint peel off the bike. The 30% seems to work just as well.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member

Ticks

Quote Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
    Permethrin if you can find some works
    This is the only thing that works for me in MA. The ticks are so bad here you can even get them while ice fishing!
    Just use permethrin on your riding clothes and gear (pack and pads) and it'll last for a few months. I sweat a lot so I reapply every five or six weeks.
    Just don't get it on your skin and let your clothes dry after te application before using them.
    The ticks won't go near you!

History is written by those who have hanged heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I used to use the 100% stuff, but it tended to melt my socks and make the paint peel off the bike. The 30% seems to work just as well.
    Any concentration beyond 30% is no more effective. 30% seems to be the optimal level. 100% stuff tends to last longer, but not when you compare to a time release formula. Ultrathon has been working well for me. The cream eliminates overspray issues, so you don't melt your gear and clothes. I use Picaridin spray on gear and clothing for skeeters, and most seasons use a Permethrin soak on most of my stuff. I get more bug bites grilling in my backyard than I do biking in the woods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Any concentration beyond 30% is no more effective. 30% seems to be the optimal level. 100% stuff tends to last longer, but not when you compare to a time release formula. Ultrathon has been working well for me. The cream eliminates overspray issues, so you don't melt your gear and clothes. I use Picaridin spray on gear and clothing for skeeters, and most seasons use a Permethrin soak on most of my stuff. I get more bug bites grilling in my backyard than I do biking in the woods.
    Good info. I'll use my 100% for now, but when I run low, I may look at getting 30% spray or a cream.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SAw a tick last week crawling up my compression sock....just wiped it off.....had a full fresh load off DEET on.

Rule of thumb around here is make sure they have to climb up the outside of the clothing so you can just brush them off.

Trailhead Poseur
    I've had good luck using permethrin on my riding gear to keep ticks out of my clothes, but I've never found any repellent to be effective against ticks on bare skin - I've gotten them even with 100% DEET. Shaving like a roadie helps, they have nothing to grab on to and I almost never get ticks if I do that.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    How about rubbing some baby mineral oil?

Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet View Post
    How about rubbing some baby mineral oil?
    what's that supposed to do other than make you feel greasy?

willtsmith_nwi

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    anyone have increased joint "popping" after tick bites?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm just finishing up a cycle of Amoxicillin meant to prevent Lyme disease after I had a deer tick. I've had lots of ticks before, but this was my first deer tick and as I wasn't sure how long it had been there (it was on my back), the doctor put me on antibiotics to be safe.

Which is good, as I'm a long way from a place familiar with Lyme disease at the moment. Boy do I hate ticks.
    if you did Amoxicillin is that because you can't do doxy ? if you do get lyme amoxicillin can kill it but man....it is not as strong as doxy or ceftriaxone. be diligent and check for ticks !!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikeadam View Post
    anyone have increased joint "popping" after tick bites?
    to answer your question: yes

BUT what does this mean exactly ?

I will substitue 'joint' with 'knee' because it is the most likely place lyme arthritis will manifest in a cyclist

this will only occur of you get lyme arthritis for an extended duration where your knee goes through actual physiological changes, since the knee was swollen for so long, and you are months trying to correct it...causing new clicks or pops where none were before

1 month no
    2 months maybe not
    10 months definitely yes (my experience)

if a tick bites you and you get some knee click or pop, and did not go through severe pain, knee drainage, and antibiotic regimen there is no way a tick bite can result in a knee click (maybe I am wrong but I doubt it...it takes pretty severe swelling to change the ligature in a joint)

fwiw: yes, but only after devastating, blown-up, lyme arthritis

I know a whole hell of a lot about lyme since I came close to dying from it

Token Hillbilly
    Take this for what it is worth, but back in my infantry days, if we had an extended outings in wooded areas (most of Arkansas), we would take garlic tabs for about a week prior to going out.

The first year I went, I didn't do this and had roughly 150 tick and chigger bites over my entire anemic body. It was miserable. The next year I took the tabs and came in the low teens as far as bite count. The great thing was that I smelled like garlic bread the whole time!

I hear it helps with mosquitoes too!
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    They apparently dont carry lyme disease. Only deer ticks.
    ticks carry 4 or 5 diseases

lyme is bad because when you get it, there might be no rash and you won't know, and it slowly sneaks in....very bad as it is easily undetected

the other diseases you can get thankfully have severe early symptoms, so although you are going to suffer, it will be clearly evident you are sick

yeah deer ticks are the only ones known to transmit lyme so far. deer ticks are the solid dark plate/light body, but they are also wicked small

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ive spent a TON of time in the woods recently (most since i was a kid)and my back, shoulders, neck are sore, all my joints have increased popping/clicking(shoulders never used to) and im trying to decide weather im just having the "blues" (kinda normal for me) or if its time to spend some cash on a blood test

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    If I forgot to use any deet this year, I would be picking tick offs the entire ride. They have been terrible.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you can get permethrin from tractor supply in the livestock fly control area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2