Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ticks

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks Harold. good info.

Does permethrin protect well against mosquitoes? Mosquitoes love me and they'll get me through my shorts and jersey. People say deet ruins synthetic. Also damn buggers get my head a lot. This is why I as asking about the Picaridin. This bottle does claim to work on ticks but don't know how well. I'll give it a shot
    Mosquito Shield Piactive Insect Repellent (175ml) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

since 4/10/2009
    Some clothes come impregnated with permethrin and claim protection for awhile (until the permethrin gets washed out, at which time you'll have to reapply it) from mosquitoes and such. IME, permethrin offers some repellent benefits, but it's only marginal at best, as I mentioned above.

I have had good results using DEET, picaridin, and oil of lemon eucalyptus based repellents. Oil of lemon eucalyptus is a personal favorite because of its combination of effectiveness and its pleasant smell. Picaridin #2, and DEET #3. Oil of lemon eucalyptus is easier to find as a cream for skin application than as a spray for your clothes, though.

For best results, use permethrin on your clothes as a contact insecticide and primarily against ticks in combination with some other repellent whose primary function will be against the flying stuff.

This year has been awful for all kinds of biting bugs because of the especially wet June. I used Ultrathon on my skin today, and it worked really well against mosquitoes. I was in a really buggy spot, and had not applied anything yet. I was getting swarmed. Pulled out the Ultrathon lotion and hit my legs, arms, ears, and neck. Suddenly the cloud began keeping its distance from me, with the occasional bug dive bombing my face. No bites afterwards.

mtbr member
    Is permethrin toxic to cats after it dries?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Is permethrin toxic to cats after it dries?
    No.

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    No.
    copy-pasta

dangerously toxic to fish and highly toxic to cats: in cats it may induce hyperexcitability, tremors, seizures, and even death

don't even think of using it where cats can bed down and lick it...goodbye cat if your cat is a licker.

absolutely safe for most mammals (humans and dogs)

but cats specifically, and just cats, extremely bad.
    This intolerance is due to a defect in glucuronosyltransferase, a common detoxification enzyme in other mammals (making it safe immediately upon skin penetration) cats, not so much

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Ticks

I'm feeling flu-like fatigue and muscle pain, checked on all 4 rides I've been on since I got my bike, nothing. No rash, no anything. Last ride was about... Maybe two or three weeks ago because work and rain. So I feel like I should probably go get blood work done.

PS-101° fever as of 0240 UTC-5
    Last edited by DougDeBonet; 09-17-2015 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You may just have a cold? I'm feeling like I have a cold myself, but go see a doctor. None of us are going to be qualified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    You may just have a cold? I'm feeling like I have a cold myself, but go see a doctor. None of us are going to be qualified.

Lol I'm def going to see a doctor. I don't have a cough or congestion or anything, that's what's making me think I possibly missed something coming out of the trail.

TRANCER
    I have a buddy that contracted a rare type of Babesia from ticks. He was put under some strong meds to clear it up. Pretty freaky sh1t
    Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    I have a buddy that contracted a rare type of Babesia from ticks. He was put under some strong meds to clear it up. Pretty freaky sh1t
    Man ticks are scarier than I thought.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DougDeBonet View Post
    Man ticks are scarier than I thought.
    Ticks are terrifying. And late summer/fall IS lyme disease season.

And FWIW, the absence of a bullseye rash means nothing. It doesn't appear in a substantial number of cases.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like I'll become more liberal with the DEET. I was getting lazy once the Mosquitos and black flies calmed down due to a long dry streak.

'14 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    May 2015

And FWIW, the absence of a bullseye rash means nothing. It doesn't appear in a substantial number of cases.
    It has also been said that sometimes the bullseye rash doesn't even show up for several weeks. So sometimes when you finally see it, could already be ripping up your insides.

Nasty little devils.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My paranoia is back. Where I live the ain't so bad but I still won't go in without protection. I think if it ever gets bad in my area I just might stop riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Ticks

That's what's bothering me. However I contacted my doctor and they said there's an influx of flu like complaints. And I took some Aleve and I'm feeling better. So hopefully it's a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by TSpice View Post
    It has also been said that sometimes the bullseye rash doesn't even show up for several weeks. So sometimes when you finally see it, could already be ripping up your insides.

Nasty little devils.
    What do you mean ripping up your insides that sounds painful

since 4/10/2009
    Lyme disease is NASTY. the spirochete bacterium burrows into your tissues and hides. the more time it has to hide, the more difficult it is to kill it.

There IS some nasty crap going around lately. My wife and I area dealing with some of it. I've been sick for a few weeks now. She probably caught it from me, but it took almost 2 weeks for her to come down with it. Damn shame, because we're taking a mtb trip this weekend. I soooo hope that I feel well enough to do the epic ride I planned for Saturday. Today I actually feel pretty good, so I'm hopeful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Lyme disease is NASTY. the spirochete bacterium burrows into your tissues and hides. the more time it has to hide, the more difficult it is to kill it.

There IS some nasty crap going around lately. My wife and I area dealing with some of it. I've been sick for a few weeks now. She probably caught it from me, but it took almost 2 weeks for her to come down with it. Damn shame, because we're taking a mtb trip this weekend. I soooo hope that I feel well enough to do the epic ride I planned for Saturday. Today I actually feel pretty good, so I'm hopeful.
    Well that's shitty. Feel better man. Like I said I had flu like symptoms but I have no cough or congestion and that's why I was unsure. But I took some Aleve and in feeling better. Gonna get blood taken anyway

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What do you mean ripping up your insides that sounds painful
    Obviously not physically ripping.

Just go ahead and google Lyme Disease and its symptoms, lasting effects, and more gnarly repercussions if left unchecked.

Every bug bite I get, I almost treat it as if its lyme. Take pictures of them to see if they are growing/shrinking, check swelling/itching, check color, etc. While I know its kind of tedious to do, its worth it in my opinion.

Especially when some of them are seeming to last longer than a week, makes me nervous. (I have poor circulation to my legs due to multiple surgeries about a decade ago. Makes any injury, cut, scrape, or bug bite take forever to heal. Had one mosquito bite take almost 3 weeks, was kind of strange!)

mtbr member
    Well that's shitty. Feel better man. Like I said I had flu like symptoms but I have no cough or congestion and that's why I was unsure. But I took some Aleve and in feeling better. Gonna get blood taken anyway
    High Deer Tick population here.
    I laid my gloves on the ground to air tires.
    One of the bastids got in my glove and unbeknownst to me, deciced to live in my wrist...
    When I saw it, he'd been in there most of the day.

Doctor said blood tests' are as unreliable as the "bulls-eye rash".
    Treated me with antibiotics...

We do tick check daily. They are everywhere. Even in the short grass of the yard.

Hate 'em!
    "Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wizard View Post
    High Deer Tick population here.
    I laid my gloves on the ground to air tires.
    One of the bastids got in my glove and unbeknownst to me, deciced to live in my wrist...
    When I saw it, he'd been in there most of the day.

Doctor said blood tests' are as unreliable as the "bulls-eye rash".
    Treated me with antibiotics...

We do tick check daily. They are everywhere. Even in the short grass of the yard.

Hate 'em!
    There's deer in the trail I go in so def deer ticks. But I never saw one on me physically so idk. But I'm getting checked for flu as we speak and they'll take blood too just in case

since 4/10/2009
    I wouldn't be terribly concerned with general flu-like symptoms if they've lasted less than a week. SO MANY things have symptoms like that, that your doc may have no clue where to begin. I had a bout with "flu-like symptoms" that ended up developing into leukemia after a few weeks. Just goes to show how imprecise "flu-like symptoms" are.

For me, there's been quite a bit of congestion. Not at first, but definitely lately. At least today, I'm clearing stuff out, and I'm relatively lightly medicated. I came down with this crap right at the end of a trip to Kansas City. Probably picked something up on the stupid airplane from sick passengers.

because GIANT
    lyme is silent,
    it sets up and you can have it for months/years and not know till you get tested

lyme is 100% curable,
    but if you don't cure it till later, it can do lasting damage you may not heal up from 100%, or may take a long time to heal up from

lyme is 100% curable
    but you must not be allergic to the antibiotics. If you are, they find an antibiotic that you are not allergic to, but if you can't use these two [doxycycline or ceftriaxone], other antibiotics have a super hard time curing lyme. this category of victims have the worst time with it, and can be on antibiotics for very long times

lyme itself it harmless,
    but it follows nerves and the spine and works it's way to the brain. it does no immediate direct harm, it is your body's immune response that is doing the damage to your joints and nerves as it fights but doesn't succeed. long term damage is the effect of the 'scorched earth' from your immune response. lyme does steal nutrients and takes up physical space, so on a cellular level there is competition, but otherwise it doesn't do a ton of harm by itself, which is why it is sneaky and you can have it but not know for a long long time.

check for ticks with a mirror after every post-ride shower

you even think you may have lyme, go get your antibody tests done

if you have it immediately start a routine of antibiotics and kill it

I have a nice story about lyme somewhere on these forums

since 4/10/2009
    There's deer in the trail I go in so def deer ticks. But I never saw one on me physically so idk. But I'm getting checked for flu as we speak and they'll take blood too just in case
    just because there are deer doesn't mean there are deer ticks. There are MANY tick species spread out around the country, and each has its own geographic distribution. Each tick species also carries different diseases. Lyme is more prevalent in the northeast and great lakes region. Lyme is not super prevalent in my area (Indiana), but it is here.

Mice are actually bigger determinants of tick populations. Yes, deer are important to ticks, but later in their life cycles. Early in their life cycles, mice are more important. And white-footed mice are especially important Lyme disease reservoirs. There are actually products on the market that allow you to treat wild rodents with insecticides to reduce tick populations.

Damminix Tick Tubes | EcoHealth, Inc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    just because there are deer doesn't mean there are deer ticks. There are MANY tick species spread out around the country, and each has its own geographic distribution. Each tick species also carries different diseases. Lyme is more prevalent in the northeast and great lakes region. Lyme is not super prevalent in my area (Indiana), but it is here.

Mice are actually bigger determinants of tick populations. Yes, deer are important to ticks, but later in their life cycles. Early in their life cycles, mice are more important. And white-footed mice are especially important Lyme disease reservoirs. There are actually products on the market that allow you to treat wild rodents with insecticides to reduce tick populations.

Damminix Tick Tubes | EcoHealth, Inc.
    I'm in the northeast haha. Idk exactly how prevalent Lyme is here on Long Island but you never know. A tick may have been on me for a little bit and and I scratched it off or something. Better to be safe than sorry.

because GIANT
    for lyme,

you have time to get home take a shower and look for any ticks on you and pick them off. faster the better but 4 hours is not a problem with lyme

For all the other things ticks carry that can make you sick
    you don't worry about it because:

you'll catch (whatever) immediately when the tick bites (lyme takes hours before it can be transferred, though NO length of time is guaranteed)

you'll get super sick super fast, nothing like lyme that hides, when you get hit with some other tick borne disease, you'll know it

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Ticks

5 straight days with a fever, today was the first without one, no word on results of blood test yet. Back to work tomorrow... Sad face.

mtbr member
    We use Permethrin on all of our hiking gear. We hike and backpack all over the US. Before each trip, a few days prior to leaving we'll spray everything down and let it hang in the garage to air dry. Hammocks, clothes, packs etc. We rarely have any issues with mosquitoes or ticks.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Ticks

So my blood work came back. "Abnormalities with Lyme" so I have to go in and see my doctor again to discuss it. So that's annoying because after I left the trail every time I never had a tick on me.

because GIANT
    So my blood work came back. "Abnormalities with Lyme" so I have to go in and see my doctor again to discuss it. So that's annoying because after I left the trail every time I never had a tick on me.
    abnormalities with lyme WTF is that ?

what kind of BS is that ? that is no diagnosis.

discuss what ?

You either have lyme antibodies or you don't.

don't take any guess with this

demand and obtain a prescription for 56 doxycycline hyclate 100's

14 day regimen
    chow 2 in the morning (1 is the recommended doctor prescription, 2 is my recommendation)
    on an empty stomach, don't eat for three hours, chow 2 at night, same deal

Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking doxycycline. These products can make doxycycline less effective.
    do not eat sunflower seeds the magnesium in them renders doxycycline almost useless. also no zinc

14 days of doxycycline

you may feel like crap (doxy is hard on the stomach) BUT you will nuke any lyme you have if it has been under 1 month since infection. If over 1 month, you do 6 weeks of this same regimen. yes it sucks, but being crippled sucks more

yeah I directly know how lyme can just about kill you and I know how
    to correct it (antibiotics and a lot of them) and MOST doctors are morons with lyme.

yes get a professional opinion but holy crap don't *****foot around with it

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    abnormalities with lyme WTF is that ?

what kind of BS is that ? that is no diagnosis.

discuss what ?

You either have lyme antibodies or you don't.

don't take any guess with this

demand and obtain a prescription for 56 doxycycline hyclate 100's

14 day regimen
    chow 2 in the morning (1 is the recommended doctor prescription, 2 is my recommendation)
    on an empty stomach, don't eat for three hours, chow 2 at night, same deal

Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking doxycycline. These products can make doxycycline less effective.
    do not eat sunflower seeds the magnesium in them renders doxycycline almost useless. also no zinc

14 days of doxycycline

you may feel like crap (doxy is hard on the stomach) BUT you will nuke any lyme you have if it has been under 1 month since infection. If over 1 month, you do 6 weeks of this same regimen. yes it sucks, but being crippled sucks more

yeah I directly know how lyme can just about kill you and I know how
    to correct it (antibiotics and a lot of them) and MOST doctors are morons with lyme.

yes get a professional opinion but holy crap don't *****foot around with it
    Yeah idk wtf that means but then they called me again and said I don't have Lyme. So I'm going back Saturday anyway and I wanna see everything even though idk what I'm looking at because that's annoying. I'm currently on 2x10 days of ciproflocaxin 500mg and I'm just gonna finish it. But I'm getting a straight answer Saturday because I'm more annoyed that they just pulled this shit.

because GIANT
    ^^little is known about cipro and lyme

doxy is the gold standard, next is ceftriaxone

anyhow...sounds like you'll be all set

be careful with physical activity while on antibiotics such as weight lifting big, or going big ring up hills standing...wait two weeks after the last dose...all these antibiotics can lead to tendon ruptures ..so don't plan your max record efforts during these times you'll be all set. also crashing, can't trust your tendons they may be weakened

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ^^little is known about cipro and lyme

doxy is the gold standard, next is ceftriaxone

anyhow...sounds like you'll be all set

be careful with physical activity while on antibiotics such as weight lifting big, or going big ring up hills standing...wait two weeks after the last dose...all these antibiotics can lead to tendon ruptures ..so don't plan your max record efforts during these times you'll be all set. also crashing, can't trust your tendons they may be weakened
    True thanks a bunch!

MoJo Moto
    Crap... after reading all of this, I'm only going to ride in my driveway.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by motopail View Post
    Crap... after reading all of this, I'm only going to ride in my driveway.
    Lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12