mtbr member

Thule V2 Velo Vise clamp problems?

Has anyone had problems with the clamp on the V2 velo vise?

I've owned 1 for just over 3 months now and have gone through 2 of the clamp assemblies. I think the problem lies with the nylon threads on the adjuster. I don't think the plastic threads are strong enough to hold the metal skewers when a bike is clamped in place. Both of my clamps broke the same way.

I've used my standard Velo Vise for years without any problems so I'm sure it's not a user issue. I'm not tightening the clamp any more than I need to keep the bike in place.

Anyone have experience dealing with Thule Customer Service?

mtbr member
    I got 2 of the original vise trays and 1 doesn't grab the fork. Tinkering with it I just made it worse so I went to Thule's website and ordered a replacement part.

It was ordered and shipped U** 2nd day air, the package was routed to Texas and after a week and a half of monitoring U** told me that the package was sent domestic and that my address was international, I asked them to return the package to the sender which they did.

I called Thule and they we're going to send the part again, I'm still waiting for it

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    Has anyone had problems with the clamp on the V2 velo vise?

I've owned 1 for just over 3 months now and have gone through 2 of the clamp assemblies. I think the problem lies with the nylon threads on the adjuster. I don't think the plastic threads are strong enough to hold the metal skewers when a bike is clamped in place. Both of my clamps broke the same way.

I've used my standard Velo Vise for years without any problems so I'm sure it's not a user issue. I'm not tightening the clamp any more than I need to keep the bike in place.

Anyone have experience dealing with Thule Customer Service?
    I just got one a month ago, I still have my original velo vise with the disc brake kit,(that they don't sell anymore) Can you possible post of pic of exactly where the problem is?

I went to the V2 because I went through two of the lower mounting plates on the Velovise, you know , the one that swings away when you remove the mounting nut. On one, the nut in the plate pulled right through. The Metal V2 seems much sturdier, but it seems your are talking about the internals. Right?
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

Internal clamp failed

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Can you possible post of pic of exactly where the problem is?
    It was the internal nylon cam that failed on both of mine. Normally, the black adjustment wheel turns the white cam on the skewers. Turning either direction adjusts the width of the skewer.
    When the clamp is closed, the white cams center on the black adjuster wheel, pulling the threaded skewers inward locking the forks.

You can see in the first photo the threads have come apart from the white cam. I suspect the threads are stripped internally. You can see in the 2nd photo, only the right side skewer tightens.

It seems that plastic internals work fine on the original Velo Vise since the clamshell was plastic. Since changing to an all metal contruction, maybe the plastic is just no longer up to the task.

I'll be giving Thule a call tomorrow to see what they say. Let's hope they stand behind their 5 year warranty. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images