Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    '11 Opus Strat

Thoughts on X7 setup.

Just blew a few bucks upgrading my entry level components. I ended up getting

Rear X7 Derail'
    Front X7 Derail'
    Avid SPD 7 Brake levers
    Sram X7 Shifters
    ( Threw a new sram chain in there as well )

This is my first big upgrade besides my forks. Any thoughts?

AZ
    banned
    Should serve you well.

powered by peanut butter.
    My X7 stuff has been solid. Enjoy!
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

'11 Opus Strat
    I know I might have paid a bit more than I should have, but my only other options to buy components is Ebay and an hours drive to the city... So the LBS got the sale. If you don't mind me asking or if anyone would know off hand what that entire set-up would cost if bought cheaper online or just a cheaper bike shop? I'll tell ya what I paid once I figure how much I got screwed lol. But thanks guys! Some rep for ya's

mtbr member
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the X7 setup that you upgraded to. Go get it dirty

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I love SRAM, no more shimano for me!

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    I know I might have paid a bit more than I should have, but my only other options to buy components is Ebay and an hours drive to the city... So the LBS got the sale. If you don't mind me asking or if anyone would know off hand what that entire set-up would cost if bought cheaper online or just a cheaper bike shop? I'll tell ya what I paid once I figure how much I got screwed lol. But thanks guys! Some rep for ya's
    if you bought it at your lbs, you probably paid a bit / litbit more than online.

But you already bought it, so who cares! Toss it on and enjoy that crisp new feeling

Life Is Short
    2 of my bikes have X9, one I broke the right shifter and thought MEH and bought
    an X7 the only difference is that the X7 is black and the X9 are silver, my finger can't tell.
    And me too I bought it at my LBS and probably paid more but whatever.

dirtbag
    I've had X7 bits on my back up commuter for several years now. Shifting performance is on par with X.9 but at a much lower price point. Can't go wrong with X.7.
    Amolan

Never Forget 9-11
    You will enjoy the X7 setup.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    if your not worried about weight that whatever works works

banned
    Sep 2012
    Excellent choice. The X7 is well made. You'll notice the difference immediately in the rear derailleur with the improved 1:1 actuation over a Shimano (if you're on a shimano right now).
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-03-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Disabled Vet
    After using Shimano for years,then trying SRAM for the first time in 2008 on a new Redline,I've been converted to pro SRAM (with lots of miles on both X5 and X9 groups),those X7's will treat you very well for years if you love on em,nice choice
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    x7 group is smooooooth you'll get payback with bigger smiles for many miles

turtles make me hot
    Nothing wrong with X7 at all. Great bang for the buck... In fact, thanks to trickle down technology, I think the X7 stuff on my 8 year old son's new bike is actually nicer than the 2008 X9 stuff on my bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My wife's bike is all X7. It works very well.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If you don't mind me asking or if anyone would know off hand what that entire set-up would cost if bought cheaper online or just a cheaper bike shop? I'll tell ya what I paid once I figure how much I got screwed lol.
    Chain Reaction Cycles = Blue, Pricepoint = Red

Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers Pair: $20.98, $19.98
    SRAM X7 9 Speed Rear Derailleur Long Cage: $48.99, $49.98
    SRAM X7 3x9 Speed High Clamp Front Derailleur 28.6/31.8/34.9mm - Dual Pull: $32.19, $40.98
    SRAM X7 3x9 Speed Trigger Shifters: $55.98, $49.98
    SRAM PC971 9 Speed Chain: $18.18, $21.98

Shipping: Free, $12.25

Total: $176.32, $195.15

Last edited by cobba; 11-04-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Currently in Exile
    Picked up a bike with X5 a few yeays ago. Liked better than myShimano XT? Upgraded my nicer bike to X9. Also purchased from LBS? They gave me a great deal that was very competitive with on line. Hope your LBS did the same.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

'11 Opus Strat
    Great! Thanks guys!. I am upgrading from Shimano Acera setup so will probably be a BIG difference.

Cobba, I over-paid a fair amount... But I am just going to try and look at it as "putting money back into the local economy" since I bought it all from LBS ( at least i'll try telling myself that, hate over paying lol )

banned
    Sep 2012
    Great! Thanks guys!. I am upgrading from Shimano Acera setup so will probably be a BIG difference.

Cobba, I over-paid a fair amount... But I am just going to try and look at it as "putting money back into the local economy" since I bought it all from LBS ( at least i'll try telling myself that, hate over paying lol )
    FYI. Chain Reaction is in the UK....everything ships from the UK - it takes about 5-10 days for the stuff to get here in the US. I've ordered once from them previously and was a little nervous, but that anxiety turned out to be unfounded when the part arrived in 5 days.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    FYI. Chain Reaction is in the UK....everything ships from the UK - it takes about 5-10 days for the stuff to get here in the US. I've ordered once from them previously and was a little nervous, but that anxiety turned out to be unfounded when the part arrived in 5 days.
    I know what you mean. I just bought an XT crankset from an Ebay seller in Poland. AFTER I bought the cranks, he started asking me to send the payment to this other name and add 20 british pounds for shipping...
    I refused so he then adjusted the sale through Paypal and I was satisfied enough to make the payment. After a week of waiting, my cranks showed up. I was relieved to say the least.
    I like turtles

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I over-paid a fair amount...
    Are you going to tell us what you paid ?

Did the LBS install everything for free ?

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Are you going to tell us what you paid ?

Did the LBS install everything for free ?
    Oh sorry lol, 295$. Bike is in the shop right now and should be ready tomorrow.... and there better not be a service charge considering I already have an in-store discount because I bought the bike from there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well... if I were you I would have just purchased them online, and learned to install everything by yourself (both for the sake of saving money, and for the rewarding experience), I don't think you were too overcharged by your LBS. Typically LBS prices are 10-20% more than what I pay online. Also, if they're offering free installation & adjustment, I wouldn't feel too robbed.

'11 Opus Strat

Bike is finished :)

Here some pic's of the upgrades Not like none of you haven't seen this or better but thought I would share!

I have to say, the SRAM X7 setup is AMAZING, never felt such a smoother shifting mechanism and slapping the Avid Speed 7's brake leavers ( Need to get rid of my stock Tektro ) in the mix makes it come together smoothly.

I also got some Shimano MT23 shoes as well, Shimano SH-MT23 - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways
    My first time ever riding with clip-in's was tonight, I went for a quick ride once I got the bike. Took me maybe 5 mins to figure clipping it and out, and I was off! I absolutely love them and wish I would have purchased some earlier in the season. BUT, later on ( about 2:30am ) I couldn't get to sleep ( probably still pumped with having the new stuff lol ) went down to grab a drink and on my way home I noticed the municipality truck had stopped and drained the fire hydrant.. -5 out tonight... it was ice and I wasn't quick enough..My own damn fault though, just had to check it out! Haha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on X7 setup.-img_0283.jpg  

Thoughts on X7 setup.-img_0284.jpg  

Thoughts on X7 setup.-img_0286.jpg  

Thoughts on X7 setup.-img_0288.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast