mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Thoughts on my website?

Hello!

Dylan's Mountain Bike Reviews

Me and my bestfriend started this small website to review bike products we purchase. It's nothing huge and we haven't reviewed much yet, but I have more reviews to come. I am working on getting pictures and writing up a review on Pedro's Starter Toolkit right now.

Let me know what you think, what I should change, products to review, or anything. Also, ways I could get it more known?
    Once it starts getting a bit bigger, I'll probably upgrade the website and make it look and perform better, with no ads.

I should have a review on some of finish-line's new products soon, as well as pedro's chain lubes, a fly helmet, possibly a GT bike, and many more items to come!

mtbr member
    I like the fact that you two are teenagers that are into riding.

I think it's a good start and hopefully you guys get some reads out of it.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I like the fact that you two are teenagers that are into riding.

I think it's a good start and hopefully you guys get some reads out of it.
    Thanks! I hope so too.

since 3/10/2009
    Looks better than my first website that I think I made when I was about 16 - which was half a lifetime ago now. Back then I had to write the HTML by hand. Then Geocities came out with some really cheesy templates. Ah, personal websites were so terrible back then. Shoot, even a lot of company websites were no better in the 90's.

Content is king, really.

My current website, I intended to have more of a focus on product reviews. I'll occasionally do a product review still, but it's nowhere near my focus. While product reviews do generate a good bit of traffic, I find good ones to be more time consuming to create than they're worth and I just don't enjoy the process of testing stuff. My "reviews" tend to be more about my impressions of something through normal use, rather than a true analytical review.

I like more trip reports, photos, and DIY instructions. The highest volume of traffic and the best quality traffic (meaning, comments and shares) comes from posts where I share DIY instructions for making stuff. I'm making some pogies right now, and am taking a ton of pictures for another big DIY gear post. I wasn't able to find ANYTHING out there that was really even close to what I'm doing, so I bet it'll generate a lot of traffic. Especially since I intend to include printable patterns and instructions.

As for ads, I say scrap 'em, especially for a personal page. They won't really do anything for you until you develop a user base and some significant level of traffic. I think there are better ways to monetize your website if that is a goal you have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Looks better than my first website that I think I made when I was about 16 - which was half a lifetime ago now. Back then I had to write the HTML by hand. Then Geocities came out with some really cheesy templates. Ah, personal websites were so terrible back then. Shoot, even a lot of company websites were no better in the 90's.

Content is king, really.

My current website, I intended to have more of a focus on product reviews. I'll occasionally do a product review still, but it's nowhere near my focus. While product reviews do generate a good bit of traffic, I find good ones to be more time consuming to create than they're worth and I just don't enjoy the process of testing stuff. My "reviews" tend to be more about my impressions of something through normal use, rather than a true analytical review.

I like more trip reports, photos, and DIY instructions. The highest volume of traffic and the best quality traffic (meaning, comments and shares) comes from posts where I share DIY instructions for making stuff. I'm making some pogies right now, and am taking a ton of pictures for another big DIY gear post. I wasn't able to find ANYTHING out there that was really even close to what I'm doing, so I bet it'll generate a lot of traffic. Especially since I intend to include printable patterns and instructions.

As for ads, I say scrap 'em, especially for a personal page. They won't really do anything for you until you develop a user base and some significant level of traffic. I think there are better ways to monetize your website if that is a goal you have.
    This is my first website, at 16. Writing programs and things are hard! I take programming at school.

Thanks for that! Yeah, It isn't necessarily going to be super analysed reviews, just my experiences "testing" the products, AKA using them then writing my thoughts.

I always try to do DIY things, but often they end badly. Maybe in the future.

re member
    Nice site, man!

Upload some pictures to the gallery.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Will do! Should be done tonight. I need to take a lot more pictures on rides and things actually

re member
    Kewl.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Great site, loads a little slow though, who is hosting?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    webs? It's just a free site, so that could be the issue. Seems to load fine for me.

I'm also trying to get a better camera setup. Iphones aren't great for pictures meant to be seen on a computer.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good start.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Looks like a good start.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thinking about changing the name. Something original yet still involving mtb somehow.

I really don't like the current name...

Also, possibly moving to a different site-creator. It'll be a lot better looking and functioning. I'll put a link on the old site to the new site when I publish the new one. After I get a new for it. But It's looking good so far.

EMBA Member
    My suggestion is to think "lifestyle" rather than "mountain bike". Expand into your opinion on different beers (hopefully your Mom isn't looking at your site). Comment on trails, maybe some skateboard or snowboard stuff, apparel besides just riding specific cloths, trail work tool reviews - reviews on saws and earth moving equipment seems to be an underserved topic I know a lot of people would be interested in. Also, if you want to drive traffic, you've got to have a page or pages where you figure out semi-gratuitous ways to post up pictures of attractive women. Doesn't need to be scantily clad, although that would help. Maybe you guys have hot older sisters that would be interested in modeling for your site, or maybe your moms would be game? You never know.

Nice start though - keep at it.

duh
    Looks good. If you are willing to pay a little a month for shared hosting using wordpress is a really good CMS for writing and making blog websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    My suggestion is to think "lifestyle" rather than "mountain bike". Expand into your opinion on different beers (hopefully your Mom isn't looking at your site). Comment on trails, maybe some skateboard or snowboard stuff, apparel besides just riding specific cloths, trail work tool reviews - reviews on saws and earth moving equipment seems to be an underserved topic I know a lot of people would be interested in. Also, if you want to drive traffic, you've got to have a page or pages where you figure out semi-gratuitous ways to post up pictures of attractive women. Doesn't need to be scantily clad, although that would help. Maybe you guys have hot older sisters that would be interested in modeling for your site, or maybe your moms would be game? You never know.

Nice start though - keep at it.
    Well I would definetly expand beyond the mountain bike part. I was thinking going into BMX a bit, maybe some skateboarding, and possibly some photography stuff. It would be expanded a lot.

I'm 16, and I don't drink so the beer thing is out for a few years.

Actually the tool review type of thing would be awesome! I love working trails and need to buy myself some decent tools so when I get those I will be reviewing them, so that goes right with this. I am on a low budget right now though. Working on getting a job ATM.

I'm certainly not posting pictures of my sisters or mom on there unless they start mountain biking haha!

As for the lady pics, it's probably not gonna happen unless I make a forum eventually... Even though it would bring in a lot of traffic haha.

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Looks good. If you are willing to pay a little a month for shared hosting using wordpress is a really good CMS for writing and making blog websites.
    I have found a different place that seems really nice. After I get a little bigger and more popular I'll probably upgrade and get a better overall website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Name ideas for the new site? I'm getting some help from my uncle used to make websites for a living so I should have a nicer site soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Blog got some new review's up this week! Check it out!

mtbr member
    Keep it Up!