mtbr member

Thomson post & KCNC quick release clamp, post keeps slipping

I have had no issues previously with my Thomson post and slipping (Al frame bike). I just replaced a dying quick release with a KCNC quick release. Now I can't keep the post from slipping down. It seems to me like the qr is cranked down hard, I'm nervous about tightening it up any further. Any input?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Seems pretty obvious the KCNC one isn't as strong. You can try using talc (climber's chalk), or some form of friction paste. I have had really good lock with colouring the covered part of the seatpost with a black sharpie; no idea why it works, it just does.

mtbr member

Blue Locktite

That worked for me with a Thomson post and steel frame. Just use a little so you can break the post loose if need be.

Do not use this method if you are constantly adjusting your post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    That worked for me with a Thomson post and steel frame. Just use a little so you can break the post loose if need be.

Do not use this method if you are constantly adjusting your post.
    I like to occasionally drop the seat for downhills. Plus I need to remove the seat for the way I like to transport it in my truck w/ topper. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Try a better quality clamp, could be the one you have is "out of round" so you aren't getting even pressure around the seat post tube.