Ogden Utah

Thomson Elite X4 Stem / Clamp Failure (Pics)

I searched & could not find any similar issues

I have had this stem installed for approx 3 years & has not seen a lot of duty. Just today I was looking at my bike hanging in the garage & noticed what I thought was a scratch across the face of the clamp (Its cracked).
    Some may say it was over-torqued. Thomsons PDF shows 35 inch pounds & I admit I did not use a torque wrench. I know how to load up a clamp by adding gradual torque & alternating cross wise . If thats the case its too bad its such a delicate piece

I'm calling Thomsons Monday morning

Peace

Last edited by GTLTSJoe; 09-18-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

I Have Cookies
    It actually happens often check your LBS they probably have caps in stock
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hope you have a lifetime warranty. I just cut off 1.5 inches from the bottom of my Elite seatpost. These Thomsons stuff have such thin walls.

pedal pusher
    Thomson's posts are considered pretty much the best, but they've had a lot of issues with their stems.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    Been there, done that. Thomson replaced it after I returned the one I had. My crack started at a bolt hole and I was alerted by an increase in creaking noises when torquing on the bars (on a singlespeed).
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

saddlemeat
    What bar did you overtighten the stem around?
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

local trails rider
    There's been others posting cracked Thomson face plates. Mine is still doing fine.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

banned
    Apr 2010
    So Thomson automatically make the best, unbreakable parts?

I had the choice of Thomson for stems, but I narrowed my pick to Race Face or Hope and got the former. Alps runs, DH runs, and not a sign of failure yet. I pick Thomson for seatposts, but have not been sold on their old stem, and that carried over to their new one. I don't go by companies to outfit my bike. I pick based on the best product offering for my needs, and almost never take a hit.

mtbr member
    Not uncommon for this to eventually happen to Thomson stem plates even when properly torqued

Ride Instigator

Looks familiar...

That looks EXACTLY like my stem cap did.

Email Thompson with a pic. and they'll advise that you over torqued and to send it in for a replacement. My stem also had a hairline crack in the steer tube clamp area so they replaced the whole stem for me. With customer service like this, I'll keep buying Thompson .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    That looks EXACTLY like my stem cap did.

Email Thompson with a pic. and they'll advise that you over torqued and to send it in for a replacement. My stem also had a hairline crack in the steer tube clamp area so they replaced the whole stem for me. With customer service like this, I'll keep buying Thompson .

Great customer service will not help very much when you have a catastrophic failure out on the trail Sending you a new stem does not help when you are laying on the trail in a bloody heap, miles away from your car.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Ogden Utah
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be calling Thomson in the morning & will send them their POS clamp

I would have hoped the fail point of over-torquing would have been the female bolt threads vs the mid-body of the clamp (I'm not the only user w/ the same failure)

And yes, Im glad I spotted it before a full failure
    While XC riding, Beware of "NGP" (Negative Gravity Pockets) They're Real!!!

mtbr member
    I just emailed Thomson with pictures of a cracked faceplate. Unfortunately, I need to send the clamp first for replacement. The lack of trust that I would mail it is a 2nd disappointment with Thomson.

Yes, I did use a torque wrench.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ozvena,

I'm going to e-mail your picture to Thomson and ask for a new stem.............................
    Everybody with warranty issuse wants the broken part. No biggie!

mtbr member
    I do understand that and it is nice that they do offer replacement. However some companies are one step ahead. They simply ship the part or ask for a credit card in case the broken part did not make it back. This is $5 part, $10 retail we are talking about.

ps: the pic on this thread is not mine
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    Regular failure, contact them for a warranty replacement or get it thru your LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Never seen that before. I didn't use a torque wrench on mine either. Maybe I should go double check it..

mtbr member
    Just curious, did it squeak before it broke? My seat (not post or bolt...) recently started squeaking. I wonder...