Combat Wombat

Thomson Elite vs X4

I have been considering buying a Thomson X-4 stem and would like it to match the bar height that I get when the bike is setup with a Thomson Elite 110mm X 5 degree stem. The flat bars I am using with the Elite stem are also available with the identical sweep in oversize, so matching that part up is not a problem. What I am wondering though is that the X-4 is only available in either a 0 or 10 degree rise. If I opt for the 0 degree, would the additional diameter of the oversize bar make up for the difference between the current 5 degree rise of the Elite stem and 0 degree of the X-4.

I have another bike that needs a stem and handlebar, so I figured move my current setup over to the other bike and this would give me a good excuse to get an oversized bar for my SS.

Brian

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If the two bars have identical rise and sweep, the OS bar will not "make up" for any change in the stems. The center line (and therefore the hand placement) of the two bars will be the same.

mtbr member
    Draw the various components to scale, just using the primary measurements. Remember that you could also add a spacer below the stem and use a 0 stem. I'm assuming that your fork steerer is long enough. You should be able to get close enough to the same bar clamp position not to make any noticable difference.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    If the two bars have identical rise and sweep, the OS bar will not "make up" for any change in the stems. The center line (and therefore the hand placement) of the two bars will be the same.
    Your statement makes sense, but kind of wondered if there was something different about the X4 in that it is offered in 0 and not 5 degree rise. I probably have about a 1/4" of extra stem to spare, but do not know if that would be enough to compensate for the difference.

Brian